PDA

View Full Version : I've been dying to do this for a long time...

saschalicks
10-19-2005, 06:27 PM
Warning: Boasting mama ahead. For months I've been reading other mommies boast about their babies, rightfully so. I added my tidbits about Jonah but this one just ate my heart and I have to share.

Jonah has been watching "Signing Times" and has been signing a little. He signs bird and says "tweet tweet". It's so cute b/c he does them simultaneously. DH has been driving me to work b/c his car is in the shop and of course we take Jonah. DH was carrying Jonah to the car and bird flew overhead. He looked at me signed bird and said "tweet tweet". I couldn't believe he knew what the thing he was signing really was. It was so cute. I looked at DH and he saw him do it and he just started laughing. The whole car ride (3 miles) we just basked in the glow of our baby.

Thanks for letting me share. Any other cute stories out there?

lizajane
10-19-2005, 06:47 PM
precious!! i love how he adds the tweet tweet!!! signing is amazing!

kath68
10-19-2005, 06:57 PM
Love it! Way to go Jonah!

Signing Times has been great for us for creating these moments for us. For us it is about dogs. Which DS now says very deliberately as two syllables: "Dah-Guh" He sees them everywhere, and whacks his little leg wildly every time (sign for dog). He has fallen in love with puppy-shaped slippers (sleeps with them), and signs for the "dog shoes" when he wants them (he always wants them).

One more cute story (sorry, can't stop at one) -- DS has a little boy-sized muppet doll he calls Bobo -- it's bigger than Charlie is. He has taken to putting Bobo to bed in the crib several times a day. He says "Bobo night night!" I put Bobo and Charlie in the crib together. Charlie lays Bobo down, carefully (sloppily) covers him with a blanket, lays down next to him, covers himself with a blanket, and pretends to go to sleep. He even points to the door to tell us to leave. When we do, he stands back up and asks us to come back and get him. It is precious! Especially when he is wearing the dog shoes!

Kids are great!!!!

saschalicks
10-19-2005, 07:24 PM
Kathy,
That is too too cute! I love that he tucks Bobo in.

Jonah loves our dog and is constantly calling "Sascha". We've been teaching him to be "nice" by petting her softly. So most of the time we here "Sascha Nigh". It's so cute how they love those animals.

mama2galpals
10-19-2005, 07:37 PM
hi! that story is so precious! thanks for sharing that.

btw i took a quick look at your (great) blog and i am going to email you.

:) rita
mom to three princesses

"Truth may hurt your feelings but lies will break your heart."

MarisaSF
10-19-2005, 08:54 PM
That's an adorable story! Boast away -- I love to read about our amazing wunderkind.

Jazz also loves to sign birds. I always say "tweet tweet," but she hasn't gotten that yet. Occasionally, we get a "bir." She signed her first "sentence" recently -- "Hear Birds." She's scared of crows and always runs to me when they fly nearby. Occasionally, I pretend to peck at her -- cruel Mama!!

mudder17
10-19-2005, 10:39 PM
Please, please, please boast away. That is such a cute story!!!

The first time Kaya made a connection with signing totally blew me away. I had taught her "ball" and she was doing it correctly with a red ball we had. One morning after nursing, she looked over towards our window and starting signing "ball" fairly emphatically. I looked and said, "No, there's no ball there." She did it again and started pointing. So I looked and said, "I don't see a ball...." Meanwhile she's doing it again and so I look over there and lo and behold, there's a stuffed smiley face (with arms and legs) hanging on our blind pull! Yes, it looked just like a ball. So I said, "Ooooooh..." got up and got it down for her and she clapped her hands in glee! :)

After that, I realized that you should always pay attention because chances are she'll know what she's talking about. At least two situations come to mind: she would quack every time we made a certain turn in our car, but I never knew what duck she was looking at--the 5th or 6th time, I finally looked again and noticed a swan emblem (one large on the building, one small on the sign). Aha! Another time she was signing and panting dog while we were driving. Again, umm...no dog. But I looked again and finally noticed a dog in the tinted backseat of an SUV. Aha! Smart kid... :)

Eileen

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif for Leah
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/catcatcvi20040222_4_Kaya+is.png
Kaya's a cousin! 10/1/05, 5lb13oz

psophia17
10-19-2005, 11:00 PM
I love that - it's so cute when babies start connecting things! Once it starts happening, it happens fast and furious, too, so you have to pay close attention.

We live very close to Vancouver Airport, and DS loves the airplanes. We'll be driving along, and he'll start yelling "airplane" in the backseat, and DH and I will go nuts trying to figure out where it is. Then, all of a sudden, there will be one. I think DS calls them to come out and play...

kijip
10-19-2005, 11:04 PM
That is so cute! Boast away! That is what we are here for...enjoying ours and others children's insane cuteness!

sntm
10-20-2005, 01:59 AM
In the signing story line, Jack was teaching his friend Ian at daycare signs. I had gone to spend a little time with him before going home to sleep. We were talking about oranges and I did the sign for orange. We hadn't watched that one in ages, and for the first time Jack did the sign. Then he tugs on Ian's shirtsleeve and tells him "this is orange, like *this*. You do it like *this*."

Cute.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif[/img][/url]
Breastfeeding 2 years & counting

saschalicks
10-20-2005, 11:56 AM
Thanks for looking at it. Look forward to your e-mail

saschalicks
10-20-2005, 11:57 AM
That ball story is so cute. A similar thing happened to us last night and we were all blown away.

R2sweetboys
10-20-2005, 02:47 PM
That is so sweet! As PPs said, it's our right to boast about our children. We've always been pretty amazed at Matthew's language skills.(Ryan's too,I can't leave him out! :) ) Last week Matty said to me "Mommy, I love you to death. You're the best Mom." I just melted! Where do they come up with this stuff? Both boys actually tell us they love us all the time. It's so nice.

~Leslie

SAHM to...
Ryan 8/14/00
Matthew 2/14/03

Wife_and_mommy
10-20-2005, 02:58 PM
Too cute! I'll have to start using "tweet tweet". Hadn't thought of that one.

DD's latest is she's compulsively polite. ;) Every other word out of her mouth is "thank you" as she signs it too. The IL's have a cute story about dh where he had furniture delivered and just kept thanking the deliverymen over and over again. It reminds me of that alot. Warms my heart that she has such a grateful heart already. :)

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/dogdogcrd20040405_4_My+child+is.png

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/p/dev035pb___.png

ChunkyNicksChunkyMom
10-20-2005, 04:05 PM
I am so glad you shared this, we have been watching signing time for 2 months and I sign to Nick daily but still no results (11 months). He is completely captivated by the video. You have motivated me to keep it up.

Susan

#1 Nick 11-18-04
#2 ETA 05-22-06

saschalicks
10-20-2005, 04:19 PM
I was you and wondered what the heck everyone was talking about. Then one day he signed "more" and since then there's been a new word a week. I mean last night he signed "ball". We're so impressed. Keep it up, I'm sure Nick will sign when you least expect it.

Judegirl
10-20-2005, 06:41 PM
That's really sweet - it's so cool to see the evidence that they "get" stuff, isn't it??

Sasha, I'm sure this is common knowledge, but if so, I missed it, so I have to ask.......Colts fans??

:)
Jude

Judegirl
10-20-2005, 06:44 PM
Susan, Riordan didn't sign for what felt like ages - we had started at about 9-10 months, and she wasn't signing much at all at 12 months. Then (like the DAY after I posted to ask about it) it exploded - she signed like mad. Keep it up - the day will come, and it is SO worth it!

Jude

saschalicks
10-20-2005, 06:49 PM
Not at all why?

Judegirl
10-20-2005, 07:08 PM
Oh, I meant "football fans" not Colts fans...! But if I'm off the mark, I'm so sorry!

There are quarterback-brothers in the NFL - Payton Manning on the Colts (who is pretty much a superstar) and Eli Manning on the Giants (whomany think is on his way.) Eli Payton...I thought it was a tribute. I'm sorry if I was wrong!!!

Jude

saschalicks
10-24-2005, 07:12 PM
Yes, yes we get this all of the time. Sorry now I get your question. OK Eli was simply b/c we liked it and Payton is for Walter Payton. My husband is from Chicago and a big Bears fan. He's always wanted to name his child after Walter Payton, so here we are. Sorry I didn't know that Peyton Manning played for the Colts.