PDA

View Full Version : Hypnobirthing - can we discuss?

firstbaby
10-20-2005, 02:28 PM
After reading about some of you ladies using this in your birth stories, I have started considering it for DC #2 due in the spring. I was induced w/ #1 so I am hoping to apply this whether or not #2 is induced.

My DH is a dear man, but doesn't understand my motivation or desire for a natural birth. I know he would not happily attend weeks of natural child birth classes and I have teased him with the first hard contraction he will whisper in my ear "Just get the epidural". With #1, I held off on the epidural until I was 6 cm (sorry if TMI) but for my own reasons got the epidural. I didn't take any birth classes w/ #1 so here we are...If you used this "method" for child birth:

1) How did you learn how to do it?
2) How involved was your DH in learning / applying it?
3) What factors do you feel contributed to successfully or unsuccessfully using it?

Thanks in advance - I can't wait to see the responses!

turtledove
10-20-2005, 02:31 PM
No info, but I am very interested in the responses since we are considering this method!

brittone2
10-20-2005, 03:33 PM
Have to make this quick but...

1.) I took a Hypnobirthing (Marie Mongan trademarked version of Hypnobirthing) class, which ran for several weeks and had 3 other couples. Another popular method is Hypnobabies which is more effective than Hypnobirthing if you'd prefer a self-study method. There are yahoo groups for both I believe. Hypnobirthing has more "scripts" than Hypnobirthing so some prefer it for that reason.

2.) Dh was very involved with classes but in the actual labor and delivery, I didn't find that I needed to rely on him much personally. He was a great support but I pretty much used CDs to put myself into hypnosis during labor.

3.) I think daily practice was the biggest thing. The more frequently you do it, the easier it is to sort of program your brain to run on autopilot when you use the breathing, etc.

There was just a post about 2 weeks ago maybe on the topic? Maybe that's the one you were referring to that sparked your interest. It worked incredibly well for me. Drug free, 6 hr 20 minute labor with minimal discomfort, and DS was my first child.

PM or email me if you have any questions...

CharmedOne
10-20-2005, 06:15 PM
I knew I wanted to try for a natural birth ever since my mom told me she delivered all six us of that way. :)

1) I took the Marie Mongan HypnoBirthing classes as well. I actually found the instructor through my OB/GYN's office. It was a 4 class course (3 hours each class, once a week). With my particular instructor, you can repeat the classes as often as you liked. The breathing exercises felt so comfortable and familiar. I thought it felt like taking a relaxing yoga class.

2) I didn't think DH would go for it, but he jumped into it wholeheartedly since he knew I wanted a natural birth. Since we practiced the breathing and light touch massages so many times in class, he went into auto-mode during labor.

3) Practice, practice, practice! The more I practiced, the faster I was able to go into hypnosis. My only regret is that I did not start the classes sooner. What I liked about HypnoBirthing is that it made me feel empowered to have a comfortable, natural birth. DH was impressed about how serene I looked through some of the more powerful "surges". The mind is very powerful. I know this sounds cheesy, but you have to believe in yourself. It's hard to do it if you have doubt in the back of your mind. You don't want anyone who isn't supportive of you in the room. Tell your DH outright what you want him to do and when to do it during labor.

Even though I had back labor, I gave birth to my beautiful DS drug and almost intervention free. I finally gave in to the IV towards the end since my midwife was worried that I wasn't getting enough fluids. I was in the L&D room from 5 am until almost 8 pm. It honestly didn't seem that we were in there that long! My nurses kept on calling me "Super Woman"! Although the hospital is natural birth friendly, very few moms opted to go drug free.

I will take HypnoBirthing again for my next baby.

Caroline

Precious Little Nathan
http://lilypie.com/baby1/060601/2/12/1/-8/.png[/img][/url]

KrisM
10-20-2005, 06:19 PM
>Hypnobirthing has more "scripts" than Hypnobirthing so some
>prefer it for that reason.
>

I know you were writing quickly, but am wondering which has more scripts? I think I would like that, personally.

jridou
10-20-2005, 06:41 PM
My first DS was a heavily medicated, 27 hour long ordeal. I was terrified to give birth again but I knew there HAD to be a better way.

1) How did you learn how to do it?

For my 2nd child I took the HypnoBirthing class. While the method was fine, the classes were more aimed at a first time couple. With my third baby I did a HypBirth CD class at home. That one was convenient but a little contrived ("Imagine all the strong women in your life making a circle . . ")

2) How involved was your DH in learning / applying it?

Minimally with the 2nd, not at all with the third. But to be fair, he was of pretty much no use with my fist labor either.

3) What factors do you feel contributed to successfully or unsuccessfully using it?

I certainly had more time to practice with my 2nd child. (I had her after 4 hours of labor and less than an hour after arriving at the hospital) With my third, the cord was wrapped around his neck and he was posterior so labor lasted 6 hours, but again drug-free.

You didn't ask this, but for me the biggest benefits of hypnosis (and drug-free labor) was a *much* quicker recovery time (I was able to give my DD her bath 90 minutes after she was born) And I can't even tell you the incredible sense of accomplishment I had!

muskiesusan
10-20-2005, 07:32 PM
I took the Hypnobirthing class and I used the hypnobabies home study course. I took Bradley with #1, so most of the course material was redundant for me, but I do recommend the course to my friends who haven't gone indepth childbirth preparation. I preferred the CDs/scripts that came with my hypnobabies course. In the hypnobirthing class, you only received a birth affirmation tape and the Rainbow Relaxation tape (I hope they have cds by now!), plus written scripts. My DH travels quite a bit so he couldn't read me the written scripts and I couldn't stand Marie Mongan's voice, so this probably added to my preference to the hypnobabies CDs ( I think there were 5 CDs, with 2 scripts on each one). At any rate, Hypnobabies does sell supplemental CDs for those taking the Hypnobirthing class (my instructor actually suggested these to our class).

Dh read the stuff I gave him and would read me a script occasionally. He did not attend any of the classes b/c of his travelling, but had already done Bradley so he felt he was an expert, lol. He knew I wanted to do this and would support me by not saying anything negative during my preparation or labor. That is really all I needed from him.

Practice, practice, practice make you successful. And, having a supportive birth team (midwife, Dh, and doula for me).

Good luck!

Susan
Mom to Nick 10/01
& Alex 04/04

Melanie
10-20-2005, 08:35 PM
We took a 4 week course from a certified hypnobirth instructor. It was once a week for 3 hours or so.

Dh was very involved, attended classes with me. I think if your Dh goes with you then he will be to. Dh was not hesitant at first, but he hadn't "bought" into it. However one class and he was sold.

It contributed to a mostly painfree birth. It's funny, I found our 'cheat sheet' from class last week. Dh & I were like, "Gee that would have been helpful in labor." haha. It might have been totally pain free.

Anyway, I have no complaints. I felt nothing but pressure until the very end when things went *very* quickly. I still never felt any pain in my mid-section, just some strange pain in my legs and then suddenly I had the urge to push 40 minutes after they'd said I was 4 cm. They taught us there is no need for hard pushing, and there was not. My body pushed Dd out. Didn't take long at all.

When you are totally relaxed labor doesn't need to hurt and pushing doesn't need to be strenuous. I had the most wonderful birth I could have ever imagined. I think hypnobirthing made all the difference in the world.

There are different methods. We did this one: http://www.hypnobirthing.com/ because I'd heard so many glowing recommendations for our local instructor.

ETA: Like everyone else said, Practice is the key. Also if your partner is less than willing, you might be able to hire the instructor for a birth attendant. I know some who have done that. I would have liked to but it was not cheap!

brittone2
10-20-2005, 10:43 PM
Whoops....sorry about that. Hypnobabies has more scripts. Some are available for free on the hypnobabies site at yahoo I think...you could record yourself reading them if you wanted extras.

The Hypnobirthing program itself has a CD but only 2 scripts are read on it, and the book IMHO is not very helpful....the class itself was totally worthwhile though. I personally don't know if I could have done Hypnobirthing (mongan version) on my own as a self study, but I know a lot of people do a self study with Hypnobabies.

brittone2
10-20-2005, 10:46 PM
This reminds me...my instructor was awesome. She didn't say anything about Hypnobabies but I stumbled upon the info on my own. She did however make us her own CD, very well made (she has professional type equipment) and had 8 or 10 additional scripts on it that I found very very helpful. I used those and the Rainbow Relaxation (sort of like a progressive relaxation CD if you've ever done something like that) during labor and they worked well for me. I was *really* glad our instructor did this for us :)

MarisaSF
10-20-2005, 11:07 PM
Wow -- all these replies are so inspirational. After 2.5 days of laboring with Jazz, I thought I'd never give birth again. But after reading your stories, I'm thinking "I could do this."

I prepared so much for having a child in the world, but I didn't do much self-prep on HOW to get her into the world.

I first heard of hynobirthing about a week before my due date from my yoga instructor. Wish I had considered it earlier. By 39 weeks I just wanted her OUT! :)

Anyway... I'm always looking ahead and I will make a mental note to get those CDs, hire a hypnobirthing-friendly doula, and maybe even take a class. Thanks!

barbarhow
10-21-2005, 04:48 AM
Do a search in the lounge-we have had many threads on this.
I used hypno with my first and loved it. For many reasons it was not as effective with my second but it definately helped. If I have time I will search for the links for you.
Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03, a Red Sox fan
and Anna 5/12/05, my little Yankee fan!

muskiesusan
10-21-2005, 04:59 AM
Beth, that is awesome your instructor had additional CDs! I probably wouldn't have bought Hypnobabies if we had that kind of supplemental stuff, ykwim? I personally just found the Hypnobirthing material lacking (but I know people who had no problem listening to the Rainbow Relaxation everyday for months!).

Susan
Mom to Nick 10/01
& Alex 04/04