PDA

View Full Version : Starting to worry...am I nuts? Need help please!

todzwife
10-21-2005, 09:37 AM
Well, we fly out tomorrow and I'm worrying about the whole airport thing. I am 23 weeks pregnant w/ a very bad back. We bought Dallin his own seat and plan to use the roundabout. DH is not coming. HOW can I possibly carry that carseat, have Dallin not run off and carry the backpack full of treats (videonow, books, water, snacks etc.) and my purse/diaperbag. My DH said we don't have room in HIS car for our regular stroller. Would it be worth it for me to buy a $10 stroller just for this trip? That would solve the issue of Dallin not running off, but how can I carry the roundabout and push a stroller? Do airlines help you out? I'm flying southwest (cheapest fare I could find by far). I'm really starting to worry that I'll hurt myself trying to navigate w/ all this stuff. I'm checking our tiny suitcase so I don't have to deal with it. Any advice or even a "calm down, it won't be as bad as you think" would be appreciated! I couldn't sleep last night thinking about dragging the carseat, kid and crap through the airport!

Saartje
10-21-2005, 09:43 AM
Call the airline in advance and ask if you can arrange assistance onto the plane. Arrange for preboarding, as well.

Regardless of whether you can arrange this assistance in advance, when you arrive at the airport, have your DH help you get to the ticket counter with everything. Check in for your flight and request assistance to the gate -- ask for a wheelchair, if that's what it takes to get the help you need.

o_mom
10-21-2005, 09:54 AM
Option 1: Go to BRU and get the $10 umbrella stroller and the $25 carseat bag. Keep DS in Stroller, with carryon hanging on the back, and carry the carseat on your back/shoulder.

Option 2: Get a wheeled luggage carrier and bungee the RA to it. With the wheels on the car seat, you may be able to skip the stroller and just buckle DS in the seat.

Option 3: Monkey harness for DS with luggage cart for carseat and bags.

Southwest was great for us. We pre-boarded and the attendents even held DS for me while I installed his seat. They gave us extra snacks and a coloring book with crayons.

kransden
10-21-2005, 10:13 AM
I don't know about SW, but when dd was that age, I did a "meet and assist" on American at both ends. They brought a wheelchair and they pushed the RA while I took care of dd. You have to be very vocal about it. When I got off the plane at my destination, my wheelchair tried to leave. I told them no it was for me because of dd so they stayed. The problem with the airlines is that before 9/11 you could meet people at the gate. Now they really don't have a system in place to take care of people that need extra assistance like people traveling with small children. So you have to use what they do have which is a "meet and assist". Don't forget to tip the person.

Also some smaller airports will let you have someone help you to the gate and meet you at the gate. It just depends.

Karin and Katie 10/24/02

ribbit1019
10-21-2005, 10:20 AM
Having just flown and knowing freshly how hard this is. I would say to call and ask the airline for whatever assistance they can give you. Do the wheelchair thing if neccessary and call the aiport too. There has to be someway for you to get help from the door to the plane.

What we did, DH wore the car seat in a tote, and pulled the laptop bag. I hooked the backpack diaper bag to the umbrella stroller I borrowed from my mom. We used luggage carts at baggage claim.
Hindsite we should have taken the bigger stroller. The umbrella being smaller made no difference except that we got through security faster. Well almost, collapsing it and putting it back togehter was a huge pain because we weren't familiar with it.

GL Shandelle!

Christy
"My Mommy" to Maddy born 06/09/04
http://lilypie.com/baby2/040609/3/4/0/-5/.png
and soon to Little Man due 03/02/06
http://bd.lilypie.com/cKLom4/.png

DebbieJ
10-21-2005, 12:14 PM
Southwest is really good about preboarding and all that. Just ask for help when you check in! Having a wheelchair will also get you more help through security.

My biggest tip--give yourself PLENTY of time at the airport and just try to remain calm. If there are people behind you in the security line waiting as you load up all your stuff, just let them pass you by. Or, maybe you'll find a nice TSA agent who will close the line behind you until you're done (that happened to me at Chicago Midway).

Good luck and enjoy your trip!

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03
Breastfed for 20 months and 6 days

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/style_avatars/Ribbons/18months-bfar.jpg

Oct. 04 mom
10-21-2005, 12:24 PM
I love flying SW. They are very helpful when flying with an infant.

I flew out of Chicago-Midway when DS was 3 or 4 months old. I asked if my mom, who wasn't flying, could help me to the gate. They quickly issued her a pass to get through security.

See if they'll do that for you. DH then could carry all of the stuff to the gate.

Best of luck!

Carey

aliceinwonderland
10-21-2005, 12:46 PM
We flew Southwest just about every other weekend this past summer(it was always one parent and the kid, never both of us except at the very end of the summer coming home) and they are very helpful with preboarding, etc...

todzwife
10-21-2005, 01:38 PM
Thank you everyone! I called southwest this morning and they said to get DH a temp. security pass so he can come all the way back to the gate with us! I'm SO relieved I could cry! This also means I won't have to drag everything into the bathroom with me so I can pee 10 minutes before we board. *phew*.