PDA

View Full Version : Need Shoe Suggestions!

kijip
10-22-2005, 11:21 AM
Our plan is to use one of my last salary checks before the big at home parenting transition to buy some non-essential things for the ourselves and the house that won't be as easy to fit into our single income budget as they are now. I figure as much pressure as I can take off the monthly budget by stocking up now, the better. Among these items are some great shoes for me. The new the daily schedule will make my current shoes less suitable. Right now I am making heavy use of a couple pairs of heels and a pair of black oxfords, Born MJs with some aging (used HARD for over a year now) Keens tossed in. I also have sneakers for the gym and the requiste pair of converse and knee high grinders. The converse and the grinders are not at all comfy for long periods so they really don't count. I figure only the Keens pairs will be usable daily in my new life so to speak but they are wearing out and are more summer-y. The Born MJs have low backs so sand and grit from the park and zoo pours in- not fun! I think I want two pairs of new, high quality comfort shoes that are hip enough that when I run into my friends I don't look like parenthood has taken every fashionable fiber from my soul! Here's the thing, since no one ever has many size 11s in stock, they always sell out in big-footed Seattle so I am going to shop on-line and frankly havn't been in a real show store lately. I keep seeing women in super cute sneakers and clogs but have no idea what brands they are. What comfy and sturdy brands/styles do you suggest for a newly minted at home parent in a damp winter? TIA!

MelissaTC
10-22-2005, 12:44 PM
I am a Dansko addict now and love my professional clogs. They work well with jeans and khakis and look nice on. They are pretty comfie as well and I love the variety of colors and leathers. I have my eye on a patent leather pair in red. I also have a pair of Merrell's that are pretty cool. Good luck!

Dansko-

http://www.lordjohnsfootwear.com/productcart/pc/catalog/professredpatent_338_general.jpg

Merrell-

http://www.shoeparlor.com/istarimages/p/p-73646_DENIM_RED!MER.jpg

MarisaSF
10-22-2005, 01:05 PM
Does Seattle really have more bigfoots? :)

My female friends with big feet, for a casual, but fashionable look might lean towards Pumas, Fluevogs, Doc Martens? For winter, that is. They all look good with jeans or whatever you might where to a playspace.

What a great use of your last paycheck! It's like a little Cheers to your new job!

dancingnancies
10-22-2005, 01:13 PM
I realize that you are most likely looking for high end, but the most comfortable and long lasting shoes I've ever owned came from Walmart. A simple black of black slip-ons. $7.99. They are comfy, can go from work to home to wherever.
I've also heard good things about Merrell and Dansko,too. But I just wanted to put something else out there for you to consider:)

kijip
10-22-2005, 02:52 PM
>Does Seattle really have more bigfoots? :)

Yes. It does. I am sure why but the large sizes here go first and fast. Most of the women I know have size 9, 10 and 11 or larger feet. My mother wears a size 13. We are not from Seattle though so maybe there is a strange magnet in the earth drawing people with large feet to Seattle?

>What a great use of your last paycheck! It's like a little
>Cheers to your new job!

I figure a lot of the things we just buy when we want will need to stop so we will take care of the potential budget strainers now (some plates I have been wanting, a TV that will fit in our bedroom armoire, more shelves for the pantry, a rug for the living room, new bedding for Toby, Toby's christmas present, and these shoes. And a few pairs of park friendly pants!).

lmintzer
10-22-2005, 02:59 PM
What about clogs? Ugg makes some cute ones. I got these tan ones from J. Jill with a combination of coupons and paid about 1/3 less than retail. The red one is on sale at Nordstom for $55.99 right now.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/29985.jpg

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/29986.jpg