PDA

View Full Version : Quick Question- modeling clay that dries

NEVE three BUGS and a BEE
10-22-2005, 12:31 PM
I have play doh recipes out the ying yang...

I am wondering how do you know if it dries on it's own like modeling clay???

I have had on my to do list to make mushrooms for my childhood smurfs to be "home size" for them and want the correct recipe that would dry and allow us to paint and to last a long long time.

I know some have raved about crayola modeling clay but I hoped to make this.

Also some recipes ask for alum...I just this second ordered some from our pharmacy, but does anyone know why one would use this over other recipes???

In otherwords I know nothing about
play doh and clay ingredients and hoped someone here already knew???

Thanks tons,

miki
10-22-2005, 12:49 PM
I think if you want to just air dry, the mushroom house will not be very durable unless you make it very thick. And if the boys ever wanted to take the Smurfs outside to live in their natural environment and they were left in the rain, the house might melt. To make sure it would last, I would be more inclined to go to an art/craft store and buy polymer clay -- the most common brands are Sculpey and Fimo. You can Google them both and get details, but basically you make your thing and bake in an oven to cure the clay. The clay comes in many many colors so you can just make the houses whatever colors you want to start. HTH

Marisa6826
10-22-2005, 05:10 PM
I also second the Fimo or Sculpey. You can get it at most art supply places, and probably craft stores like Michaels, too. It comes in all kinds of cool colours and doesn't really smell.

I did a quick Google and came up with this nifty set:

http://www.theclaystore.com/pages-productinfo-category-95-product-460/clay-sets-children-polyform-sculpey-creative-clay-kit.html

HTH

-m

NEVE three BUGS and a BEE
10-22-2005, 05:22 PM
You're the greatest!!!!

I knew there had to be some secret to get this stuff to last, not crumble etc...

and accidently keeping them outside would probably happen!!!!

Thank you!!!!

Neve