PDA

View Full Version : Strange thank-you note question

sarahsthreads
10-23-2005, 04:36 PM
Carrie just had the first of her first birthday parties, and I'm starting to write the thank-you notes. (I ordered custom cards from Winkflash, so I'm pre-writing all of them on the computer so I just have to copy them out when I get the cards.)

Anyway, I was wondering - at what point do you stop writing thank you notes from the perspective of the parents and start writing them from the child? I was thinking I should do it for these, but DH disagrees. He thinks they should be from us until Carrie can write her own.

Thoughts?
Sarah :)

kedss
10-23-2005, 04:55 PM
I think you could say something about how much she likes the present that was given to her, maybe you could sign it from you, DH and DD?
If she's just turning one, I would probably wait til she was 3 or 4 to say its from her, since that is an age when she can really appreciate her gifts, and know the people who give her gifts a little better.

HTH

DebbieJ
10-23-2005, 04:58 PM
I wrote all the thank you notes from ds's perspective for his first b-day. All our playgroup friends did the same.

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03
Breastfed for 20 months and 6 days

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/style_avatars/Ribbons/18months-bfar.jpg

kensjen
10-23-2005, 05:55 PM
I have been writing cards from DS's perspective since he was born! LOL So I don't think it is bad to do it at any age. Of course, we used to write thank you cards from the dogs' perspectives before we had Jonah. LOL LOL So maybe I am not the person to ask!
haha

A lot of my friends always write thank you cards from their child's perspective, and I think it is so cute. Especially when they use words or certain spelling that really makes it like their child is talking. Cracks me up.

HTH!

cbm
10-23-2005, 08:06 PM
I see it the same way as your husband does. I will write thank you notes for DS until he is old enough to write his own. In the meantime, for whatever occasion, I will write how much we appreciate the thought, gift, etc (or something to that effect); and how much DS likes, plays, etc...with it. My decision is based on how customerily we do things where I am from. I think the how, when and so on should be based on what makes you comfortable. Ultimately, the recipient will be happy no matter the perspective.

Claudia

DS 12/18/04

babyready
10-23-2005, 09:33 PM
Oh, I JUST finished writing the Thank Yous for DD's first birthday. I went back and forth on whether it was too cheesy to write them from her perspective, but ultimately decided to do so. The decision was made because that is how most of the first birthday thank yous I've received are written. But, I have to tell you, I had fun doing them! It was something fun and new for me. I liked to add little things like, "Thanks for (noisy new toy that someone bought) I like to play it over and over and over again." Or, "I've added a picture of me wearing the outfit you gave me, aren't I the cutest?!

Ok, yes, it is cheesy. But it is something different than the same old Thank You. I could totally understand not wanting to go down that road though....=) HTH!

sarahsthreads
10-23-2005, 10:09 PM
OK, I'm LOL about the noisy toy thing, because until yesterday I could count the number of noisy toys we had on one hand. Everything Carrie got yesterday that wasn't clothing was noisy toys. And I mean *really* noisy toys! (And she's figuring out that some of them have volume switches, and how to use them. Ack!)

I do feel like we've been writing thank you notes from us for gifts for her endlessly, so it might be fun to do some from her perspective. Maybe I'll do them that way for her really close uncles and our friends because I know they will appreciate the humor - and then for the more traditional family members I can do something a bit more...traditional.

Thanks for all the replies!
Sarah :)

Sarah1
10-23-2005, 11:42 PM
I think either way is fine. :)

CiderLogan
10-24-2005, 10:15 AM
I've seen it both ways plenty of times, so you are fine with whatever you choose. My personal preference is to write something like "Thank you so much for coming to Julia's party. She loves her --gift here-- and --something about the gift--. We all enjoyed seeing you at the party and are happy to have such great friends!" and then sign it from all of us. I also address it to the whole family since (at this young age) the parents and kids come together to the parties.

Jenny
Mom of Julia, 8/03