PDA

View Full Version : "Finger food" recipes

buddyleebaby
10-23-2005, 05:35 PM
What's your favorite?
TIA!

alexsmommy
10-23-2005, 05:41 PM
Grown up appetizers or little person non-utensil?
Alaina
Alex 2-4-03

buddyleebaby
10-23-2005, 07:50 PM
Lol. OOps. I should have known to specify.
I was looking for adults, but if you have any good ones for kids they would be more than welcome as well.

sarahsthreads
10-23-2005, 08:06 PM
We just made a whole bunch of pinwheel wraps for my daughter's first birthday party. Make wraps with those big round wrap thingies and your favorite fillings, seal the edge with a bit of cream cheese, refrigerate them overnight, and slice into pinwheels when you're ready to serve. Super easy and they were a huge hit. It took three of us a little less than an hour to make 24 wraps - cut into 6 pieces each and we had 12 dozen portable little sandwiches.

If you want more specifics I can post the combinations we used!

Sarah :)

Tondi G
10-23-2005, 08:44 PM
I always like mozzarella, tomato and basil drizzled with olive oil and fresh cracked pepper, served with sliced french bread! You can also serve it on a round plate with the tomato and cheese around the rim and some roasted red pepper in the middle of the platter!

we're a big vegis and dip family..... with vegis other than just carrots and celery ..... try red,green,yellow bell peppers, sliced cucumber, asparagus spears, mushrooms, cherry/teardrop tomatoes, broccoli, zuchinni

Our friends always make what they call weinie tots.... simple lil smokey sausages wrapped in flaky pastry dough (the kind in the roll)... served with hot mustard for dipping (or BBQ sauce).... they always get devoured!!!! LOL

finger sandwiches are fun... cucumber, egg/tuna/chicken salad, smoked salmon cut in triangles no crust!

fruit skewers (melon, berries, pinapple, grapes)

7 layer dip and tortilla chips/ or fresh guacamole/ or fresh salsa

spinach artichoke dip with french bread or tortilla chips

~Tondi

SeekerMage
10-23-2005, 09:55 PM
my all time favorite is ham, cream cheese and pickles...sounds gross but its yummy! You can either just take a slice of ham and spread soem cream cheese on it, put about a half a spear of pickle in it, roll it up and then slice it into quarter sized chunks, or...an easier way to make it is take a flour tortilla, spread the cream cheese on that, add the ham and pickle, roll it up and then slice. you can either stick tooth picks in it, or just leave it plain, the creamcheese holds it all together.

another yummy one I have is take crescent rolls, lay them flat and at the widest point add a little cream cheese (plain or flavored) and a sprinkle of shredded cheese (cheddar or mozzerella etc) and then fold the wide edges in and roll it up trapping all the cheese inside, bake the normal time. Yummy! My kids love these cheesy bisquits.

what about cucumber sandwiches? get those little tiny loaves of rye bread they have by the deli and add cream cheese, dill and slices of cucumber on top.

deviled eggs are always good?

and check the frozen food section, there is always mozzerella sticks, jalepeno poppers...and there is a brand of mexican appetizers I cant think of but its a yellow box and they have things like tacitos, and little rolls of tacos etc that are really good! you can also do the bagel bites (little bagel pizzas) and the little pizza pocket things. Kids tend to like those worse comes to worse!

wencit
10-24-2005, 10:31 AM
I just made these for a Halloween party (used a cookie cutter to cut them into ghost shapes), and got tons of compliments. I didn't bother with the chicken part; I just bought a rotisserie chicken from Costco, shredded half, then ate the other half for dinner. :) A little time consuming to roll the edges in the smoked almonds, but totally worth it.

CHICKEN SALAD TEA SANDWICHES WITH SMOKED ALMONDS

3 cups chicken broth or water
2 whole boneless chicken breasts with skin (about 1 1/2 pounds),
halved
1 cup mayonnaise
1/3 cup minced shallot
1 teaspoon minced fresh tarragon leaves
24 very thin slices homemade-type white bread
1/2 cup finely chopped smoked almonds (about 2 ounces)

In a deep 12-inch skillet bring broth or water to a boil and add chicken breasts in one layer. Reduce heat and poach chicken at a bare simmer, turning once, 7 minutes. Remove skillet from heat and cool chicken in cooking liquid 20 minutes. Discard skin and shred chicken fine.

In a bowl stir together chicken, 1/2 cup of mayonnaise, shallot, tarragon, and salt and pepper to taste.

Make 12 sandwiches with chicken salad and bread, pressing together gently. With a 2-inch round cutter cut 2 rounds from each sandwich.

Put almonds on a small plate and spread edges of rounds with remaining 1/2 cup mayonnaise to coat well. Roll edges in almonds. Sandwiches may be made 2 hours ahead, wrapped in plastic wrap, and chilled.

Makes 24 tea sandwiches.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recipe_views/views/11854

ErinMC
10-24-2005, 12:22 PM
Ooh, Sarah, that sounds like a great idea. Can you post the combinations you used? Thanks!

Erin

Mom to Chase
Feb. 2004

sarahsthreads
10-24-2005, 12:42 PM
No problem!

First, I used this recipe for some veggie-hummus ones: http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipes/veggiepinwheels.html

For the rest, I bought a pound of turkey, 1/2 pound each roast beef and ham, 1/2 pound each provolone, swiss, monterey jack and muenster cheese - all sliced thin. My grocery store had wraps in white, wheat, tomato and spinach flavors, so I bought a 6-pack of each. And there were some random assorted veggies, spreads and chive & onion cream cheese to seal them.

Here are my combinations, although my helpers got creative after a while and we had a few "surprise" wraps:

* turkey, baby spinach, grated cucumber, provolone cheese, basil pesto on spinach wraps (we made a lot of these because we thought they'd be popular, which is why there's more turkey than the other meats)
* roast beef, lettuce, swiss cheese, roasted red peppers, horseradish sauce on wheat wraps
* ham, muenster cheese, lettuce, dijon mustard on white wraps

We also made some Santa Fe style ones by mashing two cans of black beans with some salsa, spreading tomato wraps with salsa, the bean mixture, monterey jack cheese and lettuce. Those seemed to be extra popular!

The general technique is to spread the wrap with the mustard/pesto/whatever, but leave about an inch along the top edge (as you're looking at the wrap). Layer all the other ingredients, keeping in mind that too much will make it difficult to roll. Spread that one inch you left plain with the cream cheese, then roll the wrap up away from you, as tightly as you can. The cream cheese seals the edge shut neatly.

We wrapped them in plastic wrap and refrigerated them overnight, and cut them to put on the platters just before everyone arrived. It was super easy, not terribly expensive, and I didn't need to find room in my fridge for huge platters of food.

Enjoy!
Sarah :)

punk mama
10-24-2005, 09:48 PM
It's holiday specific but I can't help myself...I served this (along with some other creepy dishes) at my pumpkin carving party...

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/30025.jpg

-Faith

Java
10-24-2005, 10:40 PM
Sounds kind of weird but it's so delish! And easy as cake to make.

Asparagus cut in 2 inch strips wrapped with 1/2 a slice of bacon, secured with round toothpicks. Cook it up like you would normal bacon.

I made this for my family at Kael's birthday party. As I was making it, they all thought it was the weirdest thing ever and told me not to make a lot because no one was going to eat it.

HA! This was the first thing gone. It practically vanished into thin air, people were eating it so fast! I barely hard time to grab any - as it was I only managed to eat 2 skewers! It's now a permanent item on the family menu at gatherings.

I know, it's not the healthiest but I figure the fresh asparagus balances out the bacon.