PDA

View Full Version : Help!!! We're moving out of state in less than 3 weeks!!!

rfeibelm
10-27-2005, 03:09 PM
It's a way long story, but I'll do my best to fill you in. I grew up in Richmond, VA and met my now-husband in high school there. After 9 years of higher education, we moved to GA. We have been looking for a way to get back to Richmond, but dh's job just wouldn't allow it. He has a master's in elctrical engineering and designs microchips, so he is pretty specialized.

After a lot of soul searching, etc, dh decided on a career change so that we could move back. I'm a veterinarian, so I can go pretty much anywhere. He interviewed with a company there that a friend works at, and finally, he got the job!! Except, they wanted him to start in two weeks. He told them that was impossible, so they compromised on a month.

He got the verbal offer last Tuesday. They sent the offer letter on Thursday and he overnighted it back on Friday. The relocation people are supposed to call us 24-48 hrs after they get his offer letter (which they should have gotten Monday!) Here it is, Thursday, and we haven't heard from them!! The HR lady has been MIA and just today emailed dh back saying she was sorry she hadn't called him (but no explanation) and that she was expediting the relo (um, NOT).

HELP!! We're supposed to be moving in 3 weeks! He starts 11/21. The only saving grace here is that we're staying with my parents until our house sells. But, I would really like to get it on the market! And I have to pack! And, I don't even know what else I need to do! I have a good mind to call the HR lady myself and tell her dh can't start until a month after she gets her @ss in gear and relo calls!

Any been there/done that tips?

Rachel (I'm starting to freak out!)
Benjamin 3/25/04 (I have no clue what's in store!)

tiapam
10-27-2005, 03:24 PM
Yikes. I have never btdt, but I think I would start by throwing things out. I am assuming that you have lots of crap, just like me, of course :). If you don't, I guess you could start packing. If you are visiting your parents before then, maybe you could bring some things with you, stuff you wouldn't want the movers to handle. Also, is there any stuff you could cancel now, like the newspaper, cable, memberships, etc. And you might want to start eating out of your pantry and freezer.

Good luck! I am sure it will be crazy, but worth it!

-Pam

Charlotte born October 2004

rfeibelm
10-27-2005, 03:31 PM
We spent last weekend throwing things out from the basement. We have a very large pile for the refuse service to come pick up. I have been trying to go through other rooms and throw things out, I just feel so disorganized. The IL's are coming 11/5, so I need to get lots packed before then for them to take back. We're going to leave the house furnished while it's on the market, so we just need to bring personal stuff and anything we don't feel safe leaving. I started the pantry eating last night.

I need to make the list of things to cancel! Thanks for the reminder :)

Rachel

DebbieJ
10-27-2005, 03:32 PM
Pam gave you some good tips.

Take a deep breath and try not to stress.

Start by going through the stuff you haven't touch in a while. Do the "keep--sell-toss" method. Pack the stuff you want to keep, sell or donate things that you don't want anymore, and toss the yucky stuff. Start packing out of season clothes and household items (summer clothes, your valentines or 4th of July decorations, lawn furniture, etc).

You can do this--don't freak out! We're here to support you!

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03
Breastfed for 20 months and 6 days

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/style_avatars/Ribbons/18months-bfar.jpg

Momof3Labs
10-27-2005, 03:45 PM
Also, get a stack of boxes and a supply of packing tape and newsprint to wrap fragiles. We get ours from a moving supply company - www.uline.com - because they are local. Once you've packed the essentials to bring with you right away, start packing everything that you don't want to leave out while the house is on the market (and more - stage the house for sale by decluttering and such). You'll be amazed at how much packing you can get done before even listing the house!

Do you *have* to move by 11/21 with him, or can he go ahead for a short while without you? That would give you some cushion to get things done rather than giving yourself a 3 week deadline!

babystuffbuff
10-27-2005, 03:49 PM
Oh, I was just where you are!!! DH got a super job offer out of state the first week of September, and started work September 19th. It's a panic-inducing situation, I know. :P

Let me tell you how jealous I am that you have somewhere to stay until your house sells! We are paying a very high rent on our apartment here and also still paying the mortgage on our house in NY that shows no sign of selling anytime soon. :(

The main piece of advice that I have (and this is something I wish we had done better) is to really separate out what you will really, truly need right away and somehow mark/distinguish those boxes from all your other "stuff". In our situation, due to sky-high housing costs, we went from a three-bedroom house to a one-bedroom apartment and rented two storage units to put everything into. Until last weekend, when we sorted it all out (and got it down to ONE storage unit) we were constantly asking each other, "I thought we brought the box of office supplies to the apartment? No? How about the bath towels?" Sort, sort, sort, and use big Sharpie markers and bright dot stickers on the boxes.

I don't know if you will be able to get movers to pack - if you can, by all means DO! We were not able to and it made things so much harder. We did get a U-Pack trailer, though, which was great. We did have to pack everything and load it ourselves, but the company picked up the trailer and drove it the 8+ hours to our new home, so we didn't have to. Since we have two cars, we wouldn't have been able to drive both of them AND a Uhaul, so it was great to not have to worry about that.

Be prepared for the day you leave to feel like just about the longest day of your life. We left on a Sunday; DH was starting work the next morning. My in-laws had been in town since Friday helping us pack the trailer, clean the house, etc. We might have been okay, except that Sunday morning two of my cats found a way to open the trapdoor in the back of our office closet and get in the crawlspace between the first and second floors. They refused to come out for nearly three hours. Our goal had been to leave by noon at the absolute LATEST....we left at 5 PM. You'll swear that the last few boxes have been multiplying inside the house, and it will seem like there will always be "one more thing" to put in the car.

BUT you will get through it!!! What helped me the most was to keep in mind that we were going to a much, much better place, and that we would get through everything together as a family, which was the most important thing. And let me tell you, we have been here for five weeks, and I love it. I have a second interview tomorrow for my dream job, which I never thought I would be able to have. Even though it was a completely crazy time, I really look back on it as a blessing because I'm so happy now. :)

Sorry to be so long-winded. Good luck, and I hope some of this helps.

Sarah

ETA: I hope I didn't sound unduly harsh and scary! It seriously wasn't that bad, and we got through it just fine. After we got the cats out of the crawlspace, that is. ;) You'll do great -- any other questions, feel free to PM me.

rfeibelm
10-27-2005, 03:57 PM
That's part of the problem! I want to start packing, but relo is paying for it all, so I don't want to go out and buy boxes myself. I know I'm being cheap, but it's going to cost us sooo much, even with them paying for the move, that every little bit helps.

Actually, the sooner ds and I get out of the house, the better! It is next to impossible to get ( never mind keep) the house in for sale condition with my ds, 3 dogs, and 2 cats! We're heading up about a week sooner than DH so that he can have a chance to get rid of all the pet evidence :)

Rachel

rfeibelm
10-27-2005, 04:01 PM
Congrats on your second interview and good luck! I hope I'm able to find my dream job too.

We are really lucky to have a place to stay, but then a gain we wouldn't be moving there if my parents weren't there :)

We moved so much while we were in school, but never with a child. It just seems so different this time.

Rachel