PDA

View Full Version : Lower Back Pain!

maestramommy
10-27-2005, 07:46 PM
HI:

I know this isn't exactly a baby question, but it's postpartum, so I hope that counts. Since my delivery, I've been having lower back pain. Nothing really terrible, it mostly feels like fatigue pain. It feels worse if I'm not careful and let my back arch and my tummy lean out. I never had lower back pain during pregnancy (butt pain instead!), but now this is bothering me. I try to tilt my pelvis inward, but how do you do that when you're holding a baby? And how do you tilt your pelvis without slouching? Just this week I've started to learn to use a sling. I wear DD twice a day now, once for walks. This is very convenient, but it seems to make the back hurt more! Or actually, more often. Usually the pain sets in at the end of the day, which is why I think it's mostly fatigue, but now I'm getting it by midday. Did any of you go through this? What did you do about it? I could see a chiropractor or massage therapist, but I think they just get ride of the symptoms temporarily.
Any suggestions would be great, thanks!

Momof3Labs
10-27-2005, 08:03 PM
I struggled with that post-partum, and my nursing position had a lot to do with it! You spend soooo much time nursing, make sure that you are in a good position for your back (and bringing baby to you rather than leaning in or over) while sitting there.

Also, consider a two-shoulder carrier like a mei tai to better balance things out. If your sling is hurting, you might not be wearing it quite right or tight enough.

brittone2
10-27-2005, 08:37 PM
You could also talk with your doc and ask for a referral to a physical therapist, which is different than chiropractic or massage therapy.

It could be your sacroiliac joint, or it could be low back musculature issues due to nursing, etc. as Lori mentioned, or any number of things. There's no way to know for sure, but it is worth getting checked out if it persists.

I second the idea of making sure that when your babe is in the sling you have the sling hiked up so baby is more up toward your chest, not hanging down toward your tummy, as that will put more strain onto your back.

maestramommy
10-27-2005, 09:03 PM
Thanks! Very helpful. I'm still practicing with this sling thing. It's really hard to get the baby high enough. She starts out that way, then over time sinks. And she's not really that low. Just below my belly button, which I know is too low. I just can't seem to adjust it to go any higher without squeezing her too much.

mudder17
10-27-2005, 09:06 PM
In addition to the things Beth and Lori mentioned, you should definitely mention it to your Chiropractor and your yoga instructor. I had bad lower back pain PP, and it's much better now, but I think it's a combo of yoga, chiro, and just that I wasn't carrying Kaya as much, plus she was able to support herself better when nursing. I did start getting lower back pain again when I was holding her a lot (in her toddler "up" phase) and in that case, doing the pelvic tilts (consciously sucking in my stomach) while holding Kaya (and right after holding her) really helped.

ETA: I should also mention that my most common nursing position was and is the side-lying position. When I nurse in that position, I find that if I'm careful to not hunch my shoulders and neck (so as much as I want to stare at Kaya, I throw my head back a little into the more natural curve and I let my upper shoulder curve back a little) and I try to make sure my body is aligned as well as possible (so a little pelvic tilt here). Oh, and I'll bring the MeiTei with me when I see you in a couple weeks and we'll play around with that to see if it might help distribute the weight a bit more evenly.

Eileen

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif for Leah
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/catcatcvi20040222_4_Kaya+is.png
Kaya's a cousin! 10/1/05, 5lb13oz

DebbieJ
10-27-2005, 09:38 PM
Did you have a natural vaginal birth or an epidural or a C-section? Could be a result of one of those.

But I totally agree with Lori's mention of your nursing position. Use pillows to prop that little one up so you're not bending over. I always put pillows behind my back too so I could have my feet on the ground and have support behind me.

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03
Breastfed for 20 months and 6 days

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/style_avatars/Ribbons/18months-bfar.jpg

maestramommy
10-27-2005, 10:00 PM
Okay, I had a vaginal birth with epidural. I did have a bruise sensation where the needle went in for several days, but that was nothing. I've tried side-lying for nursing, and here's the problem: Maybe because my breast just isn't that big, but it's hard to get DD latched on in the right position without her colliding into my body, which is in the way, so I find myself arching my back. Cramming a pillow behind me helps, but it's still hard. And even though it's a relaxed position, we both tend to pass out too early. I sometimes think Dora isn't getting enough milk during a side-lying feeding.

For all other feedings I have a brest friend, so I don't have to hunch over. However, I don't have a really good chair and footstool situation so unless I do some finagling with pillows I still find myself slouching just a bit. I wish I had the chair they use at the LC's. They look just like regular conference chairs with arms, but with the little footstool, they're awesome. I'm considering using my computer desk chair if the brest friend fits with the arms.

Rachels
10-27-2005, 10:47 PM
Chiro is worth trying! It's not just a temporary fix-- it corrects misalignment in your spine so that whatever is hurting you stops.

-Rachel
Mama to Abigail Rose
5/18/02
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_amethyst_36m.gif
Nursed for three years!

and Ethan James
10/19/05
http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/bf.jpg

"When you know better, you do better."
Maya

Momof3Labs
10-28-2005, 08:08 AM
Yes, that's WAY too low in the sling! Perhaps try a different type of sling - sounds like this one is slipping through the rings, which is why she is sinking. Maybe a KKAFP?

And using a My Brest Friend does not mean that you won't get lower back pain - I used a MBF too and still had to really watch my positioning while nursing.

chlobo
10-28-2005, 08:14 AM
I have chronic lower back pain. I was just at a new chiropractor and he mentioned using one of those large balls to do exercises on. He said it helps you develop "core strength" which goes a long way to reducing back pain. I haven't tried it yet but plan to. Anyhow, not that you have time to do exercises but ifyou do, it might be something to try. Mosts balls come with videos.

maestramommy
10-28-2005, 09:07 AM
I actually have a ball, but the only thing I do is sit on it. I guess I would have to get a video that has back exercises on it. DH uses it to do leg exercises.

Regarding the sling, the directions say at the waist (belly button) or higher. My cousin, who loaned it to me, is inches shorter. I don't think she had this problem, and ring slings are supposed to be one size. There must be something I'm not doing correctly regarding adjustments. I'm thinking of getting a Hotsling (more of a pouch) instead because it's made to fit your own measurements and it's non-adjustable.

Eileen, can't wait to see your MeiTei. Didn't know you could use it with a newborn!

DebbieJ
10-28-2005, 09:49 AM
Ring slings are not one size! Maybe the one you have is too short. The beauty of a ring sling is that you can adjust it so it is comfortable!

Have you watched the videos at www.zolowear.com? I'll go find the links.

Okay, go here http://zolowear.com/Wearing.aspx and then scroll down to see the videos. Her tips apply to all ring slings, whether you're using a Zolo or some other type.

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03
Breastfed for 20 months and 6 days

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/style_avatars/Ribbons/18months-bfar.jpg

maestramommy
10-28-2005, 12:41 PM
Hey, I love the videos on zolowear.com! Actually I watched the videos to learn how to use it in the first place. I think I'd better rewatch the troubleshooting links. There's one on wearing it too low. The trouble is that this is not zolowear sling (it's slingmemommy.com)and I get the feeling that the material of this sling is much wider. I could be wrong of course.

brittone2
10-28-2005, 01:32 PM
Abs are also key. YOu need to have a good balance between your back musculature and abdominal musculature to create a stable spine and pelvis.

A good chiropractor could get you into alignment and should give you exercises to stabilize things so they get better long term. A physical therapist can also do spinal mobilizations, but they tend to not use as forceful of mobilizations as a chiro (you won't necesssarily "crack"...you can get as good or better results with less aggressive mobilzations) and will definitely give you exercises. Some PTs have continuing ed or a strong interest in women's health/post natal issues.

FWIW, I think an adjustable ring sling is actually more likely to be able to be used "ergonomically" than a pouch. My pouch is adjustable, but a ring sling adjusted correctly is *really* adjustable. Maybe you can get some help w/ the ring sling to get a better fit.