PDA

View Full Version : Is your DH a sucker for your kid(s)?

kath68
10-28-2005, 11:44 AM
Man oh man, if this is a sign of what I am in for, we are in trouble! Charlie seriously has DH wrapped around his little finger. This isn't a b!tch, so much, because it makes me laugh, but I am curious if this kind of thing is going on in other households:

They went to the grocery store together after work last night. Apparently there was a big Elmo display there. And I mean a *big Elmo*. Charlie made a cute noise, and bam! That 4-foot monster was in the cart with him. It is now in my living room.

When asked, all DH could sheepishly say was -- "but Charlie LIKED it!" I'm sure he did!

I really don't like the precedent that he gets something every time they go to the grocery store. Especially something that huge. Esp. with the holidays coming up, Charlie hardly needs any new toys.

So tell me -- anyone out there with suckers for DH's?

bluej
10-28-2005, 11:56 AM
Yep, my DH times 3! It's awful. When he announces he's going to Target the kids start scrambling to get their shoes b/c they know they can get him to buy them something stupid. In my case, I AM bitching about it. But considering I've never had a 4-foot Elmo come home with them, I guess I should cut back on my bitching :P

lizamann
10-28-2005, 12:49 PM
Oh yeah. The moment I walk out of the room, the tv comes on with whatever DVD dd requests. And we live right by a cupcake store. Whenever dh walks by (which is every day) dd ends up with a $3 chocolate cupcake, precisely because "she likes them!"

barbarhow
10-28-2005, 01:01 PM
Oh yeah. Total sucker in our house. (I am just as guilty in my own way, though-says she with the sheepish grin after coming home yesterday with 2 nerf footballs and some cooking utensils for his kitchen).
But yeah-he is more of a sucker than I am. My latest pet peeve is that Jack now thinks that he can have a lollipop at any time of day or night and EVERY day. To me lollipops are for special occasions. You don't just get them, you know? He threw his first official major breakdown temper tantrum the other morning when I would not give him one for breakfast. I think he thought it was going to kill him. Instead I wanted to kill DH.
Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03, a Red Sox fan
and Anna 5/12/05, my little Yankee fan!

kensjen
10-28-2005, 04:59 PM
Yes, my DH is the same way. I had to laugh Barbara, because your lollipop story reminds me of our ice cream situation. When I was pretty sick over the summer, DH took over all of the dinner duties. He would give Jonah one of those hoodsie cups (little ice cream cup), because we had a ton left over from his birthday party. He gave him one EVERY night after dinner. All of a sudden when Jonah would jump into the kinderseat for any meal, he expected ice cream! Ugh. It has been 3 months, and he still asks for ice cream every time he sits down to eat.
In general, DH has been a softy, and I really thought that he would be the tough one. I am the lone discipline-mean-mama-lady, while he is the "fun" guy who lets Jonah have ice cream, toys at the store, and a later bedtime. Oh, what I am in for!!

jhaud
10-28-2005, 06:27 PM
"she likes it", "she wanted it", "she might like it", and "she needs it" are the regular chorus from my dh! i am a sucker too though!! but, at least i try to be good! yes, dh is totally wrapped around her little finger.

for father's day i did her hand print on a onesie and wrote under it "my hand" and then drew a stick figure around the little finger and wrote "my daddy" next to it! this was the biggest hit! also did a tshirt for dh with her handprint and mine written next to it! he is so smitten!

jennifer
mom to genevieve 15 mo

Tori_s mom
10-28-2005, 06:30 PM
Yeah, he's a pushover, but I knew it from how he treated the dog before we even had dd. LOL!

Tasha

psophia17
10-28-2005, 06:33 PM
Yup, DH is a sucker. Even worse, since I do a fair job avoiding sucker-dom by avoiding all situations where I would have to say no (like going to the toy store), DH hauls DS into TRU to show him all the neat Dora/Thomas/Mighty Machines/Balls/Bears what-have-you that are there, and then I get to be the lucky one to spoil both of their fun by saying things like "we are not buying a complete set of Thomas stuff today," so that DS cries and DH gets mad at me for making DS cry.

Yeah - this is a bitch of mine. It's cute, to a degree, and then it's sucky.

saschalicks
10-28-2005, 06:49 PM
{{{{Hiding my head behind hands}}}}}

I'm the sucker! DH says I buy too much for DS. Whenever I go to Target I always buy another piece of clothing or a small toy for DS. OK no flames, I just like to buy stuff for him. My obsession right now is buying him books. He loves books.

barbarhow
10-28-2005, 07:40 PM
Aaahh. See I always knew that I would be the "lone discipline-mean-mama-lady". I always knew that DH would be the softy. We had conversations even before we had kids and laughed about how that would happen and sure enough. Oh well. Someone's got to do it or our kids would be having lollies and ice cream for every single meal!!!

elliput
10-28-2005, 08:44 PM
I'll come clean also. I'm the sucker. It is hard to resist all of the cute things! Example- a new TJ Maxx just opened nearby on Sunday so Tuesday night I went to check it out and came back with (all for DD) an OshKosh Coat, fleece hat and mittens, two pairs of jammies, socks, two outfits, and a new toy. They also had a bunch of wood toys which I kept eyeing, but they were a little too old for DD so I passed them up (for now).

mudder17
10-28-2005, 08:47 PM
Yep, I'm the sucker, too, but I'm not too bad IRL. I'm kind of bad online though...

I never used to be a shopaholic, but I really do like getting things in the mail for DD. Sigh, I blame it all on the whole fluffy mail thing over in Butts.... ;)

Eileen

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif for Leah
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/catcatcvi20040222_4_Kaya+is.png
Kaya's a cousin! 10/1/05, 5lb13oz

elliput
10-28-2005, 11:41 PM
>I never used to be a shopaholic...

Me neither! I'd swear that pregnancy jump-started my shopping genes!

R2sweetboys
10-29-2005, 10:53 AM
Both of my boys are such Daddy's boys. They love their Mommy too,no doubt, but they both have a wonderful special bond with my husband. I feel very blessed to have such a wonderful father to my boys. I knew he would be but he has greatly exceded my expectations. :) He doesn't hesitate to change a diaper or to take them out by himself. We both definitely have the tendency to go overboard sometimes when it comes to buying stuff, etc. I know we need to change this a bit because I want them to appreciate things.(they really do but I don't want them to become people who expect things for nothing)

~Leslie

SAHM to...
Ryan 8/14/00
Matthew 2/14/03

aliceinwonderland
10-29-2005, 10:59 AM
"See I always knew that I would be the "lone discipline-mean-mama-lady". I always knew that DH would be the softy. We had conversations even before we had kids and laughed about how that would happen and sure enough"

Same exact thing in our house. The one time we tried CIO, I was mor eworried about DH as he was about ready to start sobbing I was sure!

I am more surprised that I not as mean/disciplinarian as I thought I'd be. I blame th guilt. But yea, our kid basically runs free. As we speak, 2 out of 3 couch cushions are on the floor, and he is playing with two beer-bottle caps.

barbarhow
10-29-2005, 01:18 PM
As we speak, 2 out of 3 couch cushions are on the
>floor, and he is playing with two beer-bottle caps.

Yup-sounds like our living room!

jbowman
10-29-2005, 01:41 PM
I am the same way. I am a total sucker. Not about buying things (although I'll buy little things here and there), but about letting DD have cookies & ice cream when were out running errands. Perhaps I do this b/c I'm preggo and I want cookies and ice cream, LOL. I admit that it is also hard for me to discipline (although I do discipline her). Ok, so I win world's worst mother award this year!

ribbit1019
10-29-2005, 03:22 PM
Uh yeah!! DH will buy anything his little princess bats an eye at.

While we were at WDW I insisted that he not buy ANYTHING that DD played with for less than ten minutes in the store. He managed to sneak a James P. Sullivan stuffed monster (Monsters Inc.) past me that she hasn't even looked at since we got home. She does however consistently play with her small stuffed Mickey and Minnie play cell phone that passed the test. :)

Christy
"My Mommy" to Maddy born 06/09/04
http://lilypie.com/baby2/040609/3/4/0/-5/.png
and soon to Little Man due 03/02/06
http://bd.lilypie.com/cKLom4/.png

Join the BBB Preggo Pals!!
http://s14.invisionfree.com/BBB_Preggo_Pals/index.php?act=Reg&CODE=0

Puddy73
10-29-2005, 03:57 PM
Yup, my DH is a total sucker when it comes to DD. Junk food, noisy toys, whatever she likes. I grill him like I'm an officer of the food police when they get home from an outing, then I just feel bitchy. He is a great Daddy, so I don't want this to sound like a bitch, I just hate feeling like "mean mommmy" all the time.

Jennifer
Mommy to Annabelle 9/03 & a little pumpkin due 10/05

"If a dog will not come to you after having looked you in the face, you should go home and examine your conscience." - Woodrow Wilson

kboyle
10-29-2005, 05:53 PM
I am the sucker for buying stuff ds wants, but dh will let him do ANYTHING. But i must admit, at 25, my dad is still a sucker at buying his only princess something, or his grandsons something. He still brings me "prizes" when he stops over. It the everlasting love of a father that makes him a sucker for his kids :)

RwnMayfair
10-29-2005, 11:06 PM
My husband is a bit of a sucker as well, though not quite that bad. I do know he wouldn't come home with a four-foot stuffed animal, luckily! Of course, he did buy Taran a set of sea animals at a store one day because Taran saw them and liked them. And he does tend to put the TV ("Blue!") or a Pooh video or DVD on if Taran asks for it ("Tigger!"). Ah well, they have fun together, and he did understand my concern about Taran eventually thinking he gets something everytime we're at a store, so hopefully there won't be too many purchases like that in the future. :)

-Melissa

Taran, November 20, 2003
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif
Elowen, August 20, 2005
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_silver_6w.gif

http://b2.lilypie.com/jn4Ym4/.png
http://b1.lilypie.com/9Ogqm4/.png