PDA

View Full Version : Allergies in your child? Anyone? Dallergy? Help!

icunurse
10-28-2005, 11:54 AM
Okay, I am so tired of running back and forth to the doc....and, of course, today was the day the ped I don't care for in the group was working (he tends to talk down to everyone). Anyway, we were back for the 3rd time in less than 2 months - first time, ongoing runny nose (prescribed antibiotics); second time, ongoing runny nose and fever (prescribed antibiotics); this time - tons of yellow nasal discharge and all the good stuff that goes along with it..crankiness, less appetite, etc, no fever. The doc said he doesn't need antibiotics, which is fine, but he was hesitant to do anything else because of DS's age (Pediacare and Benydryl just don't cut it). So, he finally prescribed Dallergy - anyone use this before? I really think he might have seasonal allergies and I'm tired of seeing the poor kid run around all snotty. We're supposed to go away this weekend and I hate to drop off a sick kid by my parents, but if we don't go, we have to pay for our entire reservation anyway and, honestly, we've had a rough last couple of months here and could use a vacation (sick child, failed adoption, life in general). We already have a humidifier going and saline drops. Any other recommendations? I'm at my wits end.... (If you've made it this far, thanks for reading my question/rant :) )
Traci
~Connor's Mom 02/2004~
Agency paperwork completed - waiting for #2!

crayonblue
10-28-2005, 12:06 PM
Lauren is on Claritin. She had yellow nasal discharge for 6 months last year. She ended up having multiple sinus infections and ear infections due to constant congestion and I just about lost my mind! DH has severe allergies and asthma so we knew this was a possibility. We put her on Claritin at the end of last winter and I think the Claritin has helped. I stopped giving it to her during the summer but started up again a month ago.

I have never heard of Dallergy. Is it like Claritin?

I know how frustrating this is! I always felt like I had to explain that Lauren wasn't sick, had allergies, wasn't contagious, etc.

icunurse
10-28-2005, 12:20 PM
Exactly! The only places he goes every week are a music class and a Mother' Day Out - how can I keep telling them that he's not contagious?! I don't think that I am convinced that he doesn't have a sinus infection right now (his discharge smells awful), but the ped says that he doesn't fit the "criteria" for s sinus infection - he just came off antibiotics, sudden onset of symptoms, etc. It all makes sense, but as a Mom I just want my little guy better.

He didn't want to give me Claritin because of DS's age, yet he was hesitant to give me this new med (it's basically an antihistamine/decongestant and will dry him up). I guess we'll see...

Traci
~Connor's Mom 02/2004~
Agency paperwork completed - waiting for #2!