PDA

View Full Version : NEVER check your stroller on American Airlines! x-post

JMarie
10-28-2005, 11:45 PM
DH, DS, and I just traveled to Utah a couple weeks ago and, as we do every time, we gate checked our travel stroller (Mac Volo). When we got back to Chicago, the baggage handler gave me my stroller - with a wheel snapped off! Not bent, not bolt-got-loose-and-fell-off, but severe-pressure-slammed-in-the-door snapped off! I went to the baggage claim area and they wouldn't even look at it - just unilaterally told me that strollers are fragile items and they are not responsible. So I wrote to their customer relations department, thinking maybe I'd get somewhere. Here's their unhelpful response:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Dear Mrs. Hupp:

After reading your email about your recent experience with us, it's easy to understand your disappointment. I'm truly sorry for all that occurred.

I'm sorry for what happened with your baggage on your recent trip with us. I know it was disappointing to discover that your belongings were damaged.

Unfortunately, some items to be checked as baggage for a flight are not able to withstand normal handling and are vulnerable to damage. Included in this category are such things as strollers. Our baggage liability policy, which is summarized on placards posted at all check-in locations, automatically releases American from responsibility for fragile items. In addition to certain baggage contents, fragile
items may include, bag components such as wheels.

Since the article you presented is excluded from our liability, our baggage agent was correct in denying your claim. Further, it is not appropriate for us to overrule such decisions since we have not had the benefit of seeing the item in question. Since personnel in our local stations are in a position to actually observe the reported
damage, they are given the full and final responsibility for handling these claims.

Mrs. Hupp, our position in no way suggests that we are insensitive to what happened. Again, we are genuinely sorry for the damage to your child's stroller. Please be assured that we will work harder than ever to restore your confidence in our ability to provide good service. We realize we must earn back your respect.

This is an "outgoing only" email address. If you 'reply' to this message by simply selecting the reply button, we will not receive your additional comments. Please assist us in providing you with a timely response to any feedback you have for us by always sending us your email messages via AA.com at http://www.aa.com/customerrelations.

Sincerely,

Janette XXXXX
Customer Relations
American Airlines

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Very nice - I can't even reply back to her! Restore my confidence in you, when I know other airlines would replace a damaged stroller? I don't think so. I was treated terribly by their agents at the airport and now I'm being blown off by their supposed customer relations rep. I work in customer relations - this is not how to keep your customers happy.

So here's your warning - if you want to take your stroller, carry it on. If they tell you no, tell them it's fragile and you must keep it with you to keep it safe. I'm sure they'll love that.

I'm beyond ticked. I guess I'm going to be writing a few more letters...

Jennifer
Mom to Aidan Christopher
01/28/03

new_mommy25
10-29-2005, 12:31 AM
Southwest cracked the napper bar of my P3 in half once. They refused to replace it. I called Peg and they sent me out a new bar the next day. Is your stroller still under warrrenty? I'm pretty sure that most airlines won't replace a damaged stroller. It really sucks.

DebbieJ
10-29-2005, 12:58 AM
Southwest bent the handle of my P3. I had to ship it back to Peg and have the entire chassis replaced. Southwest said they'd give me only $35. I wrote a nice letter back to them and they then reimbursed me for the entire ~$150.

I'd say keep pushing. There is absolutely no reason that a wheel should have snapped off!

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03
Breastfed for 20 months and 6 days

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/style_avatars/Ribbons/18months-bfar.jpg

JMarie
10-29-2005, 08:00 AM
The stroller ought to still be under warranty - I bought it just before the BBB DC retreat in May (in fact, I bought it FOR the retreat, because Aidan had outgrown our other travel stroller). I got such a great deal on it because it's a 2004 model, but wasn't even sure I'd like it. I loved it, and now it's broken. ;(

I hadn't even tried Maclaren. There's no way to just replace that piece. They'd have to replace the whole stroller. I'll just try it anyway - maybe they'll be more helpful than American!

ShayleighCarsensMom
10-29-2005, 08:37 AM
Oh man that stinks! So they are not able to withstand "normal everyday wear and tear", yet you can throw it in the back of your car several times a day and lug a 40+ pound child in it and it doesnt break...hmmm
Personally, I would file a claim with my CC company (if you put the airline tickets on there.)
Good luck!

Momof3Labs
10-29-2005, 09:35 AM
American lost my gate-checked P3 for two days last December (NOT fun to try to do WDW without your chosen stroller) and was also pretty flippant about it. They did finally find it and bring it to our hotel, without too much damage fortunately. Still a headache (c'mon, how can you LOSE a gate-checked stroller for 2 days??)!

aliceinwonderland
10-29-2005, 10:08 AM
That email is infuriating...How, exactly, will they go about restoring your confidence??

If I had all the time on the world, this is when I would utilise all my research skills to find a person higher up, much higher up, in the company to take this to. Once I had a problem with a local bank and knew the name of the president and vice president(this is public info usually too), and somehow found their contact info and I can tell you that my problem was fixed pretty damn quickly after that.

In a similar problem I had in regards to a gym membership, I contacted the headquarters directly, not the local people. I did this after finding out that another state had sued this company on the same issue I was having with them, so casually mentioning in the phone call that "I realise, of course this is not the first time this issue has come up for you..." made them more willing to listen to my complaint.

So frustrating for you, I am sorry!

ribbit1019
10-29-2005, 10:26 AM
Uck! That sucks, sorry they are giving you such a hard time. We were very lucky when we flew with continental a couple of weeks ago.
I expected a damaged stroller or car seat, but both managed the trip well. I will remember not to fly American Airlines in the future.

Christy
"My Mommy" to Maddy born 06/09/04
http://lilypie.com/baby2/040609/3/4/0/-5/.png
and soon to Little Man due 03/02/06
http://bd.lilypie.com/cKLom4/.png

Join the BBB Preggo Pals!!
http://s14.invisionfree.com/BBB_Preggo_Pals/index.php?act=Reg&CODE=0

Zansu
10-29-2005, 11:46 PM
Keep writing and keep complaining, and document everything, including names/dates/flight numbers, and take photographs. Have Maclaren send you an email describing the stresses that the stroller can withstand.

And if you want to email them back, here's the trick: Copy the CRM case number (XYear-Month/Day##-#####-###) from the AA reply and then open a new CR webform. Type “RE:� into the Subject line and then paste the CRM number.

I've gatechecked multiple strollers on multiple airlines with no damage (knock wood). I have never heard of anyone being able to take a stroller on board, other than a Zapp (which I have done). And gate checking is still better than checking it through as baggage.

Good luck!