PDA

View Full Version : Is DD giving up her nap?

SunshineWedding
10-29-2005, 01:28 PM
My DD will be 2 at CHristmas and has always been a great sleeper, at least since she turned 1. I can count on at least a 2 hour nap and usually closer to 3 hours and 12 hours plus at night.

But for the 3rd time this week I'm listening to her sing and chat away to herself in her crib shen she should be sleeping and I'm getting VERY nervous it may be a sign she's trying to get away from a nap! I'm hoping you ladies can provide some reassurance that I'm worrying for nothing. The days this week that she slept she got 2+ hours of sleep and is still going down at the same time at night. Is this a sign she's ready to give up a nap? We're expecting #2 in early spring and I still need DD napping then!!! Thanks -

Lisa

Momof3Labs
10-29-2005, 04:38 PM
At least 1-2 times a month, someone asks this question! Most of us get our new 2 year olds back on a nap schedule; this seems to be just a temporary glitch related to the age. However, giving up naps permanently around the third birthday is proving to be pretty common, so enjoy the next year!!

bluestar2
10-29-2005, 08:03 PM
DC are almost exactly the same age as your DD and I've also noticed some days they will stay up laughing, jumping or talking for a good hour until they finally fall asleep. Up until about a month ago I was putting them to nap at about noon but have noticed they are not getting sleepy until closer to 1-1:30 pm and are sleeping about 2 hours. It's rare though that they don't fall asleep at some point so on these days I let them sleep until 3-3:30 and they still go to bed at about 8 pm. I don't think they are ready to give up the naps yet because they are still very irritable for the rest of the evening without them. It definitely makes a big difference how much physical activity they had in the morning so most days we go for looooong walks in the morning ;)

SunshineWedding
10-29-2005, 08:39 PM
Thank you ladies, you both said just what I wanted to hear. I think I just paniced earlier with the thoughts of no more naps.

We haven't been outside as much lately because it got very cold very quickly here in the last week (snow today!)so perhaps we just need more fresh air and exercise. Now i just have to find my mittens!!