PDA

View Full Version : What size table/chair set for a 20-month old?

Judegirl
10-29-2005, 03:17 PM
Cross-posted in ATH b/c I'm hoping for quick responses!

Dd is 18 months old and we think she'd love a table in her room, for coloring, reading, playing, etc., for Christmas. She's tall for her age (almost 32 inches) but has short legs, and she's a climber. I want something that she can get in and out of but won't get hurt badly if she falls out (or off of the table) I'd also rather not buy another one in a year and a half if she's a big 4-year old, if I can avoid it.

I like the Aspen and the Avalon by KidKraft, but I'm afraid one's too small and the other's too big. Can't see them IRL. What do you think?

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00005U2DO/qid=1130617028/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl21/002-2859896-1007215?v=glance&s=toys&n=507846

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0002OPCM0/qid=1130616944/sr=8-10/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i10_xgl60/002-2859896-1007215?v=glance&s=home-garden&n=507846

Thanks in advance for any feedback!
Jude

eb1
10-29-2005, 06:36 PM
I don't know if this will help you at all, but I found this chair/table height chart when I was researching sets for my DS.

http://www.lakeshorelearning.com/charts.tem

I chose the Little Tikes Mission Table & Chairs, which I think is slightly taller than the Aspen set. It's a very good size for my 33" tall DS, and I think it will last a couple years as a good fit and still be in good enough condition to resell. The chairs are sturdy enough to support ME.

I also considered the Avalon but I thought that would be too high for him now, and after I received the LT table, I thought I made the right choice.

If I were buying a year from now, I'd probably go with the Avalon.

Not sure if that helps at all.

Judegirl
10-29-2005, 07:22 PM
Oh, it helps tremendously - thank you so much! I have got to make this decisions now! Between research, price comparisonm, shipping and assembly, the window is closong - thanks a million!!

Jude

ellies mom
10-29-2005, 08:09 PM
Wait to give you more options, you can check out the Nilo activity tables. They are a cross between a train table (they have lip and come with either a lego mat or a scenery mat) and a regular table (you, well Rory, can pull a chair up to them and sit with her legs under it. It is sturdy as anything and comes in two sizes. Another plus is that you can buy taller legs. We are getting one for DD for Christmas instead of the regular table that I had planned. They are a little spendier than the two tables you showed but given the flexibility it might be worth it. Also the chairs and benches double as storage. Always a plus. The chairs that they sell are super stable (and an absolute steal on their website) WTH

www.Nilotoys.com

stefani
10-29-2005, 11:22 PM
Jude,

I think we have the Aspen. I looked at the Avalon, when DS was 16 months old, but that was too tall for him. He is 26 months old now, and the Aspen is still great. Although Color Wonder markers show up on the table, I still need to call the manufacturer to get tips how to remove them.

Admittedly though, DS's favorite chair is a doll's chair that DH bought because DS was smitten by it in the store :-) It is shorter and smaller than the Aspen's chair but he loves to sit on it, or put his stuffed animals on it and push the chair around.

For your info, DS is 34 inches tall.

HTH!

Judegirl
10-30-2005, 12:50 AM
Thanks, Stefani - I just bought the Aspen. I think she'll love it..i just hope it's not too big for her now. But hte, if she can sit in our chairs and almost color at our table, I guess it'll be fine. :)

Jude

kaileysmom
10-30-2005, 01:12 PM
I am in the market for a table and chairs set and have also been leaning towards the Aspen. Where did you get yours?

stefani
10-30-2005, 07:19 PM
Hi Tarana,

DH bought it from USA Baby here in town (Dallas metroplex). I think they had a sale, so it turned out that it was a little cheaper than some of the other baby stores.

If you have IKEA in town, you may want to check that out, too. We almost got a table & chair set from IKEA, but because at that time there was no IKEA in town the shipping was exorbitant.

My previous post can be found with "BOFINK" keyword.

HTH!