PDA

View Full Version : OT: I want to buy a comforter . . .

schums
10-31-2005, 11:57 PM
but know nothing about how to pick a good one. I'd like to have one that will last for a while, but don't want to truly have to sell DC on ebay to afford it. Anyone have any words of wisdom? The only thing I really know is that I want a king size (we have a queen bed, but I like comforters really big) and that we tend to use the one we have now all year round. We live in Michigan, so we do get cold winters, so super lightweight ones are out.

I guess some major areas of questions are:
* Down vs. synthetic: is there really any difference?
* How do I know I'm getting a good comforter? Any specific things to look for?
* Does price matter that much? I've seen some online for almost $1000 or more, and some that are only $100-$300 (overstock.com, ikea)?

TIA,
Sarah
Mom to Alex (3/2002) and Catherine (8/2003)

Momof3Labs
11-01-2005, 09:30 AM
We use a wool comforter (it is like a down one, but filled with wool instead) and LOVE it so much more than our down comforters!! It is warm in the winter, cool in the spring/fall (we don't use it in the summer), and the stuffing doesn't shift or compress at all like down, nor do you get the feather shafts poking through and stabbing you. I got it for $100 at Tuesday Morning, but they aren't that expensive online. Ours is made by Bowron.

We then add a duvet cover over it to make it easier to wash (cat spends a lot of time on our bed).

schums
11-01-2005, 09:38 AM
Thanks Lori. How do you wash it, or is it dry clean only? How well does it hold up to use?

Sarah

Momof3Labs
11-01-2005, 09:46 AM
I believe that it is dry clean only (we've gotten away with spot cleaning and air-drying to this point). It is definitely too big for our oversize front-loading machine. We're on our second season with it (or maybe 2.5 seasons - I may have bought it in the winter) and it is like new. By this point, the down in our down comforters would be all shifted out of place, and I'd be sick of yelling at DH to NOT sit on the down (that crushes the down). Of course, I'll admit that I always bought less expensive down comforters, so maybe if you spend more you wouldn't get as much shifting or poking, but even the most expensive down comforter is very fragile and shouldn't be sat on much.

mudder17
11-01-2005, 09:56 AM
Wow, I've never heard of a wool comforter! I wish I had, because now I'm intrigued. Still, I do have a down comforter that I LOVE and am using right now. It was around $90 for a king sized, I believe (I can check), but the nice thing is that it is machine washable and the comforter has been sewn in smaller squares so I don't have the feathers moving all over the place. Anyway, I love it, although it is usually too warm for DH. I use it on my side of the bed.

Hmm...well, this was basically it:

http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2.cgi?page=proframe&prod_id=657555

And as far as I can tell, it was the same description, but it looks like the equivalent, in any case, is much more now.

I guess I wasn't too much help. :(

Eileen

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif for Leah
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/catcatcvi20040222_4_Kaya+is.png
Kaya's a cousin! 10/1/05, 5lb13oz

karolyp
11-01-2005, 10:04 AM
I love down comforters, but look for ones that are 100% down and no feathers as the feathers can poke out and feel *crunchy.* I've always found a good selection at Macy's, but then again, I live in FL so I don't really need the heavy ones. Also, I love croscill's comforters, they are so beautiful, but I don't know if they have the warmth you're looking for as they're made of cotton. Anyhow, if you're interested, just look at the patterns on their website (or in LNT or bed bath&beyond) and then e-mail the outlets (also listed on the website) to see if they irregulars. I've gotten stuff from them this way for up to 90% off!!

HTH

bostonsmama
11-01-2005, 11:43 AM
For me, down is so hot that it'll make me too warm even in the winter, so I prefer something with lofty polyfil. I have a cheapo comforter (like $20 cheap) w/ a cotton cover that I stuff into a silk blend (not shiny) duvet cover I got from Bed, Bath & Beyond. Since it's tightly woven, it really insulates. The duvet was $150 on sale, but I love it and it doesn't show dog hair. In the spring we take the comforter out and just use the duvet alone. In the summer we switch to a cotton matlese coverlet. Remember you don't have to buy a down comforter to get warm. Those waffle weave blankets layered under a normal all-season comforter can make it very toasty (and trust me, when I woke up the other morning it was 58 degrees in my house since we're trying not to use our overpriced gas heat yet).

It's a shame you didn't ask this question earlier. This weekend, my dad asked me to buy seven comforters to replace the old ones at our beach house. I got six Ralph Lauren Home Collection comforters from twin to queen size at TJ Maxx and Marshalls when they had their Take an additional 25% off all clearance sale for about $18-27 each!! These were high end patterns that retailed for $150-300 each and many still had matching sheet, sham and curtain sets available on sale. I was even able to get 3 kind sheets so I can make curtains to go along. I'm not sure what they have left, but I saw quite a few sturdy and warm-looking Ralph Lauren comforters in king size for $50 on clearance and up to $100 just regular TJ Maxx prices. It's worth a look. I already own a pattern i got there 3 years ago for my guest bedroom and it's so toasty in the winter and it breathes enough for the summer.

HTH! If you're curious, i got Fairdale Floral and Rosebud stripe patterns (two sets were matching twins).

barbarhow
11-01-2005, 07:38 PM
I have ones from LL Bean on all of our beds and love them. They are not overly pricey, great quality and toasty warm. If you go down be certain it is baffled so the down doesn't shift.
Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03, a Red Sox fan
and Anna 5/12/05, my little Yankee fan!

schums
11-01-2005, 08:23 PM
Is there a difference between baffled and box stitch? And if so, are they mutually exclusive? Is one better than the other? Like I said, I'm pretty clueless. I tried to do some research, but all that google brought up were sites trying to sell me down or the equivelant, so I'm not sure they're trustworthy.

Thanks for all your help!!

Sarah