PDA

View Full Version : Really good chicken soup recipe?

crayonblue
11-01-2005, 09:37 AM
DH is sick and has requested chicken soup. He NEVER asks for any specific food and would be happy eating PB&J every night, so he must really want chicken soup! Any good recipes out there?

daisy1234
11-01-2005, 09:55 AM
Hi...I just made some..used the recipe out of the Better Homes cook book. It's the red and white checked cookbook. Also...if he likes it salty then add a boillion cube.

Just a hint...it is all in the noodles...get good noodles! I wish I had the cook book here at work!

crayonblue
11-01-2005, 09:56 AM
Thanks! I have the Better Homes cookbook. I'll take a look at the recipe. What noodles should I get?

jodi_b
11-01-2005, 10:04 AM
I hope your DH starts feeling better soon. My DH is the same way... when he actually makes a request, I listen!

This isn't the typical chicken-broth-with-noodles type chicken soup, but it's a favorite of ours. It's similar to the Sicilian Chicken Soup at Carrabba's, but I haven't been able to make it quite like theirs. I'm still trying!

Chicken vegetable soup

1 cup onion, chopped
1 cup carrots, chopped
1 cup celery, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tablespoon olive oil

In a large sauce pan, saute above ingredients in oil until onion is clear.

Add:
4-6 cups chicken broth
2 cups tomato juice
1 tablespoon dried parsley
2 teaspoons dried basil
1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne (great for stuffy noses!)
1 tablespoon white vinegar
2 teaspoons white sugar
salt and pepper to taste

Simmer for 1 hour.

Add:
2 cups cooked chicken, chopped
2 cups mixed frozen vegetables
1 cup small pasta, uncooked (i.e. ditalini, soup shells)

Cook until pasta and vegetables are tender and chicken is heated through.

Best wishes for a healthy DH... and that no one else in your family 'shares' his bug.

Jodi

daisy1234
11-01-2005, 10:21 AM
I am trying to figure that one out...I used egg noodles...A friend of mine used these thicker pasta like noodles...similiar in taste to the campbells noodles...I have a call out to her so hopefully we'll here soon...her soup was sooo tasty! I am planning on making soup tonight again...we all have a bad cold. I hope I can figure out what noodles she uses.

Aunt to sweet baby boy
11-01-2005, 11:03 AM
I just made chicken soup last week and this is what i did:

Put chicken into pot ( i used dark meat and white meat because we like to eat the boiled chicken rather than using a carcus)

i first put enough water into the pot the cover the chicken. I simmer this soup to get all the white foamy stuff off. It takes maybe 1/2 hour depending on how big your soup is.

I then add these vegetables

1 onion peeled and cut in half
2 celery stalks cut to fit into pot
a handful of baby carrots/2 big carrots
1 leek
tsp of salt
and maybe more water if everything is not still covered

then you can leave the soup simmering on the stove for however long you have, the longer the better. I then take the chicken out and cut up the pieces to eat with the soup and strain the broth. I like a clear broth, you do not have to strain it. I will sometimes boil some carrots to put into the soup but that also does not have to be done.

Feel better

Btw i use egg noodles, the thick kind

Ilana

octmom
11-01-2005, 11:18 AM
My favorite chicken soup recipe:
1. drive to Whole Foods
2. Enter store and walk to refrigerated section of preapared foods
3. Find large container of chicken noodle soup (located in same case as the salsa fresca, yum)
4. Take it to the register and pay
5. Drive home
6. Heat soup and serve

Hope your DH feels better soon!

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03

http://bd.lilypie.com/UB6Bm4/.png

"Baby makes days shorter, nights longer, home happier, and love stronger."

proggoddess
11-01-2005, 12:02 PM
I don't really have a recipe, but I sometimes make chicken soup from scratch, boil the bones/make the broth and all. It's not fancy, I just use the frozen mixed vegetable bags you get at the store with carrots, peas, green beans, lima beans.

But, I find the secret to really yummy chicken soup is to add a splash of lemon and a good pinch of black pepper. Really brightens up the flavor.

icunurse
11-01-2005, 12:03 PM
We have used this one for years and everyone who's had it loves it. It's from one of the Cooking with Mickey cookbooks...

Chicken Tortellini Soup

1 cup diced chicken breast 1 tbsp parsley
1 tbsp butter/margarine 1/8 tsp ground thyme
2/3 cups carrots, diced 1/4 tsp garlic powder
1 cup diced celery Salt
1 cup diced onion Pepper (or white pepper)
5 chicken boullion cubes 1/2 lb tortellini, cooked
5 1/2 cups water

In pot, melt butter...add carrots and saute 2-3 minutes. Add chicken and cook another 5 minutes until chicken is done. Add celery and onions and continue to cook another 4-5 minutes. Dissolve boullion cubes in water and add to soup with all remaining ingrediants except tortellini. Simmer until vegetables are tender. Add salt and pepper to tase. Add cooked tortellini and serve.

*Note - I usually add more water (about 8 cups total) and don't exactly follow all the times for the ingrediants. I tend to just put things into the pot as I dice them. Also, the meat/veggie portions can be adjusted to what you family likes - ie. we add more chicken. One last tip - I tend to undercook the tortellini (dry tastes better than frozen, but both work) just a bit, as it will get softer once it's in the soup and it will hold up better when the soup is reheated. Enjoy!*

Traci
~Connor's Mom 02/2004~
Agency paperwork completed - waiting for #2!

Saartje
11-01-2005, 12:09 PM
I put a fryer into water, bring it to a boil, and keep it boiling, uncovered, for an hour. Remove the chicken from the pot and put it on a plate to cool off a little.

Into the broth, add chopped celery, chopped onions, and chopped carrots. Add salt and pepper to taste. Turn the heat back on so the vegetables can begin cooking.

While the vegetables cook, start pulling the chicken off the bones, shredding it with your fingers as you go. (I recommend removing the skin, as well; it removes a great deal of fat.) When the chicken is fully de-boned and the meat shredded, put the meat in the pot with the vegetables. Add canned broth if needed to cover the solid components of the soup. Simmer for approximately one hour. Add noodles, if desired, approximately 10 minutes before the soup is done.

This makes a very simple, wholesome-tasting soup. Use a large stock pot.

Piglet
11-01-2005, 12:12 PM
My recipe is very similar to Ilana's, but to make it even healthier (Jewish penicillin), I add an entire head of garlic and a thumb-size chunk of ginger. I take them out when the soup is done, but the garlic is very good for you and the ginger gives the soup a nice tang.

I use either egg noodles or the smallest noodles you can find. My parents serve the soup with white rice, which is different but very tasty. I have also used alphabet noodles when I made it for DS.

Enjoy!

Piglet
11-01-2005, 12:13 PM
Duplicate - I am too impatient!

crayonblue
11-01-2005, 12:53 PM
Ha! Ha! I literally just got back from Whole Foods 5 minutes ago. And, I did take a look at the prepared chicken soup. But, I decided to make my own and if it is bad, I will drive back over to Whole Foods! :)

Zana
11-01-2005, 01:00 PM
I dont mean to hijack the thread...but I have a quick question. The broth/bouillon cubes that I find (Campbells etc) all seem to have MSG in it. Is that normal? Do you all use something MSG-free?

Thanks