PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions on how to plan when you won't bring baby stuff into the house until the baby is actually born?

Marriedladytara
11-01-2005, 01:20 PM
I am completely overwhelmed. DH and I are very superstitious, and are not comfortable buying baby stuff before the baby is actually here. We even ordered our furniture from a store that doesn't deliver until you call them to tell them that the baby has been born.

I know we'll need certain things, like some diapers, a carseat, something for the baby to wear home from the hospital, a pack-n-play for the baby to sleep in for the first few months...But does anyone have suggestions for how to handle not having anything else in the house? What do we actually need before the baby comes, what can wait?

Any thoughts would be GREATLY appreciated!

kedss
11-01-2005, 01:30 PM
we got a pack n play three days before he was born! Luckily we were given a car seat/infant stroller set as a gift, otherwise we would have been in trouble! ;)

I would say to at least have a car seat, otherwise they won't let you take youur kiddo home. And have at least one pack of diapers and wipes
and a few onesies/warm pajamas. And receiving blankets are great to have around :)

we never got a changing table, as DH was uncomfortable changing DS up so high. We did change him in his crib, which we had ahead of time.

Hope this helps!

babystuffbuff
11-01-2005, 01:42 PM
Congrats on your upcoming birth!

Can you keep the carseat in your car? I would say that if you do nothing else, please, please, please get the seat in your car and have it inspected before your kiddo arrives. You can even put it in for the inspection, and then unclip the actual seat from the base and just leave the base in the car. But it is so important to have the seat installed and to know how to use it correctly beforehand, so you're not trying to figure it out on that first car ride home (when you won't want to mess with it anyway!).

Yes, you'll need diapers, and something for the babe to wear home, bottles if you're planning on bottle feeding, nursing bras if you're planning on nursing. It would probably be helpful for you to have a pack-n-play available, but the baby can always sleep in your bed for a few nights until you get that.

I don't know when you're due or where you live, but if it's going to be cold for the trip home from the hospital, you will need some nice blankets to put over the baby and a hat for his/her head (though the hospital might give you one of those).

Do you have a relative or friend who wouldn't mind storing a few things in their house for you? That way, you could buy some thing ahead of time, but not have them actually in your house. Or do you just not want to buy anything at all beforehand?

Anyway, those are my thoughts. Good luck!

Sarah

rrosen
11-01-2005, 01:42 PM
I researched all the products I wanted and then set up a registry list that I only gave to my mom. While I was in the hospital she was able to use the registry list and purchase everything I needed. We were also able to order our furniture and have it held until we were ready to take delivery.

pb&j
11-01-2005, 01:59 PM
I've also been trying not to have baby stuff in the house before he arrives safely (superstition, previous stillbirth, and jewish grandma). That said, we're lucky in that my parents live nearby, and are keeping baby stuff at their house. I made a list of things we'll need for baby, with an asterisk next to anything that we need right when he comes home from the hospital, and a check if it's been purchased already. We have gotten some baby things (pack n play, carseat, bouncy, assorted clothes) that are staying at my parents' house. I have relaxed my rules a little, and we do have a few things for baby - a book, a couple of onesies, a special blanket. And luckily, our house that we're getting ready to move into has a detached garage, so I feel we can "safely" store some items there.

I'll post a copy of my list later on today when I get home from work.

-Ry,
mom to Emma, stillborn 11/04/04
and Max, edd 01/15/06 - it's a HEALTHY BOY!

http://lilypie.com/days/060115/3/25/1/-5/.png[/img] ([img)

erosenst
11-01-2005, 02:10 PM
We had a similar situation. We started with just having the basic furniture, and the room painted. However, I told both my DH and my SIL that if, God forbid, we didn't bring home a baby I expected the furniture to be gone and the room painted white by the time I got home.

We did buy a car seat and get it installed ahead of time. (80-90% are installed incorrectly - a local fire station or police dept can probably install it for you.)

As far as everthing else - I had her coming home outfit, a few sleepers, a few onesies, all in their packages in her closet. I left DH an instruction sheet of what to wash, what to put where, etc. I also had some hand-me-down stuff (bassinet, blankets, sleepers, etc) that I kept in the basement, together with other "gear" (pack-n-play, one pkg of diapers, one pkg of wipes, etc) and left instructions of what was to be done with all of that. Lastly, I registered at Babies R Us and Target, and highlighted the things I wanted DH to buy. Babies R Us, if there's one by you, is great for things like that, as someone will literally walk around the store with you to help find everything.

Oh - we also didn't have any showers before she was born, so didn't have any of the stuff you would get then. Also, if you live in an area with a heavy Jewish population (can't tell if you are or not) there will be stores that expressly cater to all of this, as many Jews don't buy ANYTHING before the baby is born. In Chicago, places like Nordstrom's would let you create a list before the baby was born. Once someone called saying that the baby was here, they would get everything together and ring it up, so all someone had to do was stop in and pick up the package(s).

Let me know if there are other questions I can answer -

Zansu
11-01-2005, 03:42 PM
You need a carseat and a place for the baby to sleep. And b/c the place to sleep can be your bed, you really only need the carseat beforehand.

I am completely superstitious, so I left everything in its original package, in the garage. DH practiced installing the carseat, but it remained out of the house.

DS#1 came home from the hospital in the hospital shirt, hospital hat and hospital blanket. My mom had the basics washed and ready to go. DH set up the co-sleeper after we got home. We ordered the crib eventually, but knew we would use the co-sleeper, so the crib wasn't essential.

The hospital diapers got us through the first day or two, and DH or a grandparent bought more as needed.

Any and all baby gifts received remained in the garage or at grandparents until DS#1 arrived.

We received some gifts at the bris, and my parents threw a huge "come meet the baby" party when he was about 6 weeks old. That worked well for everyone b/c we didn't find out the sex of the baby before his birth, and people waited to buy us clothes til he was born so they could buy color-appropriate items.

Having a list of things to buy/do/cook gave the grandparents something to do, so that's another benefit. :)

nfowife
11-01-2005, 03:57 PM
We are Jewish, and we also were living in a small rental while building a new house, so we didn't have much around before DD arrived. That said, I would definitely have the carseat installed and checked by a CPS tech to make sure it's done safely and correctly by your 37th week, because you want that done perfectly so your baby will be safe! We also had a mini co-sleeper in the basement and some newborn clothes that I did wash but then put into a tub in the basement. Once baby arrived I sent out my in-laws to get the other necesseties but you don't really need a whole lot of stuff at first- they sleep, eat, and poop/pee so as long as you have a place for them to sleep, your boob, and some diapers you'll be set!

Piglet
11-01-2005, 04:34 PM
Jewish here as well... we bought a crib and set it up because superstition or not, I didn't want to go nuts once we got home. We also got the car seat installed and bought 3 outfits (gender neutral) in newborn and 0-3 size. We bought 1 pack of dipes, and a few toiletries. Then we went on a shopping spree when DS came home. That having been said, once I was PG with #2, all supersttion on purchases went out the window for the simple reason that I already had all the clothes from DS1 and I figured what the heck - buying a few new outfits was no worse than the many I already had amassed.

In retrospect, I think I would have done it differently from the start. I wouldn't go overboard with the shopping, but I wouldn't go on as if I wasn't bringing a baby home either. Yes, I think it would be painful to have reminders around the house if God-forbid something went wrong, but on the other hand, it will be painful no matter what and I think that it is good to have reminders. Sorry to bring this up - I just think that in my life, superstition is not something I want to focus on. I prefer to look at the positives and accept that things do not always go according to plan, superstition or not.

saschalicks
11-01-2005, 04:44 PM
I totally understand that part of some people's thought process I had everything before hand. However, what I needed right away were: a car seat, diapers, wipes and some outfits. Maybe, you could get a PNP and put it in a garage or storage area, or better yet someone's home before hand. Since the furniture will most likely be delivered while your in the hospital you really don't need to worry too much. Truth be told you designate someone to go get the diapers, wipes and outfits while you are in the hospital and all you really need is a car seat. HTH

pb&j
11-01-2005, 04:52 PM
Here's what is on my list of stuff that I'll need very soon after baby comes home:
*Baby Bjorn/sling
*Baby Monitor
*Boppy
*Boppy cover
*Bouncy seat
*Breast pump and supplies
*Changing pad
*Changing pad cover
*Diaper rash cream
*Diapers
*Graco snugride
*Nail Clippers
*Onesies
*Pack N Play w/ bassinet
*Receiving blankets
*Rocker/glider
*Sleep positioner
*Sleep sack
*Sleepers
*Snap n Go?
*Snugride extra base
*Socks
*Thermometer
*T-shirts
*Wipes

Certainly some things are more important than others - the car seat, for instance, since they won't let you leave the hospital without it. I've registered for several other things as well, but feel confident that I could hand this list to my sister or my mom at the start of labor, and have everything we'd need for at least a couple of weeks by the time we got home from the hospital. FWIW, I did buy a "coming home" outfit that I will wash and store at my house in my hospital bag. The rest of the clothes we have (mostly gifts) are in their original packaging at my parents'.

Someone mentioned having a "welcome baby" party, which is what we're planning to do instead of a shower beforehand.

-Ry,
mom to Emma, stillborn 11/04/04
and Max, edd 01/15/06 - it's a HEALTHY BOY!

http://lilypie.com/days/060115/3/25/1/-5/.png[/img] ([img)

Momof3Labs
11-01-2005, 04:53 PM
If you don't want the car seat in your car, you can even have it installed in a friend's or family member's car and they can pick you up from the hospital (or your DH can borrow their car to take you home) - you don't necessarily need to go home in your car. But definitely have it installed somewhere accessible, and have it inspected to ensure that the installation is proper.

Just wanted to mention that the PNP may work as an early sleeping place, but may not. My DS hated, hated, hated the PNP as a newborn and slept much better in his cozy Moses basket - a co-sleeper is a nice option, too. We did use the PNP for changing and to store clothes in the early days!

Marriedladytara
11-01-2005, 04:54 PM
Thanks so much for all the advice...Yes, we are Jewish, and we will be buying as little as possible before the baby comes. I guess I can send my sister out to buy an outfit for the Bris (oy, I'm going to hide upstairs!) and anything else we need after we get home. We chose a furniture store with a Jewish owner who told us that if we called to cancel the furniture, they would do it - no questions asked. That made DH feel comfortable enough to actually order the furniture.

So I guess it will be the carseat, some diapers and wipes, something to wear home, and maybe the pack-n-play to start with, and we'll figure it all out after that!!!

Thanks again!

dmg222
11-01-2005, 05:49 PM
We are the same way so much so that my DH and I were going to walk home from the hospital so we wouldn't have to worry about the car seat yet! :) We registered at BRU and during the 3 days that I was in the hospital DH went and did the shopping, set up the crib and had the car seat installed/inspected. Someone ended up getting us a car seat while I was still pregnant so we put it in the closet and didn't open it until DD was born. I would suggest circling the things from the registry that you know will be needed so that whomever goes to pick up stuff can just pick up the necessities. Don't forget sheets for the pack n play (that was something we someone missed!)
HTH and B'shah Tova
Daniella

saschalicks
11-01-2005, 05:52 PM
At my DS's bris he wore one of those gowns that are open at the bottom. It was the best. I was a wreck that day, but looking back I know w/DS#2 I'll be much better. I didn't hide upstairs, but had to "sit down" during the actual *event*. A whole other story

Smiles81
11-01-2005, 05:55 PM
We also had nothing in the house until DS was born. DH picked up the carseat and pack n play from babiesrus, my mom and MIL bought clothing, bottles, diapers, etc - all while we were in the hospital. Both my parents and IL's live near us, so it wasn't a big deal, I guess if they didn't, DH would have bought it all. We did the same thing as you regarding furniture. We called when we got home, and it was delivered the next day. We decorated the nursery after he was born as well.
Edited to add, I came home from the hospital on Thursday, ordered my stroller from Albee baby, and had it in time for the Bris.
Reena
Mom to Dovi 3/16/04

squimp
11-01-2005, 05:58 PM
Don't be overwhelmed! I think it's smart to wait on some things. We're not really superstitious, but we just didn't want to buy a bunch of stuff we might not need or that might not work. I'm glad we did, because I'm really happy with our more informed purchases. Here's what we had in advance:

carseat
a few sleepers and onesies
towels and washcloths
bassinet (hand-me-down)
diaper covers (we used a diaper service)
knit blankets to use for swaddling
Avent breast pump (really not needed until 6 weeks)
Nursing pillow (lifesaver)
Lansinoh for sore nipples

I found that I time to go shopping after the baby was home and I was on maternity leave. And DH took leave as well, so I could send him out for stuff. We didn't have a stroller until about 3 months.

You're not alone. In some cultures, a baby shower is seen as bad luck. If you didn't have a shower, maybe it makes sense to make a list of stuff for folks who want to get something for the new baby.

The only thing I bought during the first few weeks home was a Baby Bjorn - I loved it. But I'll have a Kangaroo Korner Adjustable Fleece Pouch on hand as well for any future babes. And a carseat cover (Bundle me) would have been nice. But that's really all I missed.

(Edited to spell lansinoh correctly, I think)

Piglet
11-01-2005, 07:08 PM
The bris was stressful - I had my mom and BIL actually holding me up by my armpits at one point, LOL. That having been said, it went MUCH better than I had anticipated to the point that I hardly stressed about bris#2. I have spoken to many friends and they said the same thing - it goes much better than you think it will go.

B'sha'a tova!

Sarah1
11-01-2005, 07:12 PM
We did the same thing. You have to buy a carseat, though. The crib, dresser & glider arrived after the baby was born. I ordered diapers, a diaper champ, and other essentials from babycenter.com and just left everything in the box. Didn't open it until I was home from the hospital.

You also have to buy a "coming home" outfit to bring your baby home in, although I suppose someone could bring one to you while you are in the hospital.

HTH :)

cbm
11-01-2005, 09:07 PM
With the exception of the car seat, some diapers, wipes, and some clothes, I think everything else can wait. For example, the first night my son was home, he was in his pack and play bassinet for 10 minutes before we decided that he was going to sleep with us. We ended up co-sleeping for 5 1/2 months. We had not planned to co-sleep at all! What I am trying to say is that everything is so different once the baby arrives, that many of the things we get ready for a baby aren't always necessary right away. In the case of the pack and play, for the first 5 months of DS's life the only time we used it was to change his diaper (it has the changing table insert.) In your case, a relative or a close friend could go and get a pack and play after the baby is here. If there is a BRU close to you, they always have them in stock (unless you want a particular pattern.)
As others, I am sure wrote, it is necessary to have a car seat for the trip back home from the hospital. But, if you decide to buy a car seat that is fairly easy to find like a snugride, than you could have someone purchase it for you and bring it to the hospital after the delivery. However, if it is a car seat not very easy to find or a snugride pattern or whatever that is not carried in a store near you, then you should buy it ahead of time and someone could keep it for you. Perhaps you should make a list of your needs and wants and give it to a relative or close friend; or at least let someone close to you know what you want. In either case a family member or a close friend will have instructions on what to buy after the baby is here.
I only bought what is listed above, besides the pack and play and the crib, before the baby came. Everything else was bought afterwards on as needed basis. To be honest, I think it is easier to buy after the baby comes than before because there are many things that people may say are necessary that are not necessary to you.

Claudia

DS 12/18/04

Sillygirl
11-01-2005, 09:26 PM
Okay, you've gotten a lot of advice, but I wanted to add three comments:
1) Mazel tov! I'm not Jewish but I went to a Jewish school and I miss hearing the lingo.
2) The hospital will give you a ton of diapers - just empty the bin every day and the diaper fairies will refill it. Or if this strikes you as devious, just ask - most nurses will be happy to stock you up, within reason.
3) I'm not trying to be offensive, so I want to phrase this just right - but seeing discussion of the Jewish traditions and then the mention of the Moses basket - cracked me up is all. Big ambititons for a baby!

Radosti
11-01-2005, 11:05 PM
Well, I'm Jewish, DH is Catholic. My mom had a heart attack when I ordered the furniture. So, I had a discussion with her. I am somewhat superstitious, so I didn't even consider buying anything until the baby had a good chance of survival in the NICU if anything bad happened. But I have to admit, I am also a complete control freak. I want the nursery set up the way I want it set up, not the way my parents deem to do it while I'm in the hospital. I am also all for getting high quality at a reduced price. Well, the one baby store had really highly rated baby furniture that I absolutely loved for 50% off on the white finish. So, I had to get it.

Two points that I made to my mom here. One, if something bad happens and there is no little Aaron to bring home (God Forbid), whether the furniture is there or not isn't going to make it any less painful for me. And point number two was that everything that I've bought so far has gone into the nursery. The door to the nursery stays shut and we do not go in there unless it's to put something away. So, in theory, it's just like the stuff isn't in the house.

I just need to know that I have what I need for the baby. That need overrides the superstition in me. It's ok, I'm still working on my mom. You should have seen how horrified she was the first time she realized that the kitty cat I picked up off the street is all black. And he kept following her and crossing her path! The horror!!! Oh well, she learned to love him since it's hard not to, he's one of the sweetest cats I've ever seen. So, she's getting over the superstitions as well.

I don't know, I just don't want to be in a rush to buy all the stuff that the baby needs when he actually gets here.