PDA

View Full Version : When did your DC start watching Disney movies?

lisams
11-01-2005, 10:50 PM
A spin-off of the Spongebob post!!

bnme
11-02-2005, 08:42 AM
My almost 3 yo loves Monsters Inc, Toy Story, and Finding Nemo. He started around 18 months. Oh, plus Mickeys Twice Upon a Christmas and Brother Bears Sing-Along-Songs.

elliput
11-02-2005, 08:58 AM
DD is almost 10 months and I have had Disney movies on while we nurse for me to watch, but I can't exactly say they have grabbed her attention yet. About the only time we watch TV or movies is when we are nursing or eating dinner so I don't think she has gotten the concept of just watching yet. And with both the nursing and dinner, she has her back to the TV.

brigmaman
11-02-2005, 09:03 AM
Brig just saw Toy Story a few months ago and loved it. We started to watch Monsters Inc. but he wasn't interested. ETA: He's 3. :)

Sarah1
11-02-2005, 09:31 AM
Audrey loves Mary Poppins and Cinderella.

g-mama
11-02-2005, 11:01 AM
It really depends on the movie for us. Paolo has watched The Emperors New Groove and Jungle Book since about age 3.5. There are others we have shelved after watching them once due to violence, including Beauty and the Beast, Lion King and Brother Bear. Aladdin is a new favorite here at almost age 5. I am always shocked at the amount of violence in the Disney movies. It seems so unnecessary.

BTW, we also do not allow Spongebob.

Kristen
Paolo 11-00
Benjamin 8-03
and a *THIRD BOY* coming in December '05

farsk
11-02-2005, 11:22 AM
Ellen is absolutely obsessed with Cinderella. She announced the other day that she needed a prince.haha!

lizamann
11-02-2005, 11:54 AM
DD has loved Monsters and Nemo since before she was 1. Also a big fan of Mulan. She currently loves Mary Poppins. But actually, I don't know if I'll be buying Cinderella for her. I have to see it again to see if it's any good. Definitely don't want to purposely start a princess obsession around here! I was pretty fine showing her these visually pleasing movies when she was a babe, but now that she's starting to pick up on things I have to be MUCH more careful about content and messages.

Edited to add that I won't be showing her the "scary" Disney movies, like Bambi, Lion King, and Snow White until she's really old - like at least 9. Those movies scare ME and make me sad!

bostonsmama
11-02-2005, 12:11 PM
My nieces loved Mulan and Pocohontas around 3-3.5years old, but you have to be really careful. Movies like Sleeping Beauty gave me nightmares (at 4years old) for years, and my youngest niece was terrified of scenes in the Hunchback of Notre Dame. Also, just the other year DH and I took his nieces to see The Incredibles in the theater and Heather (4 at the time) nearly jumped up in our laps during a few scary scenes. I'd listen to the reviews before popping in a video as to its age appropriateness (and skip the mistakes we made). IF you do that, you should be able to show them whenever and wherever they'll sit still.

Just my 2 cents.

ellies mom
11-02-2005, 12:29 PM
DD started "watching" Disney type movies when she was between 18mo and 2yrs. She has her favorites: the Shreks, Finding Nemo, and Robots. She just started asking about Monsters Inc. and she know the Incredibles but some of the music startles her, especially on surround sound.

southern_kali_gurl
11-02-2005, 12:36 PM
AJ loves his Disney movies. He started to be interested in them when he was about 2. He has seen Monsters, Inc., The Incredibles, Toy Story, and Finding Nemo. Right now he's really into Winnie the Pooh since he loved the ride at Disneyland.

-Araceli
Mommy to AJ 08.25.03

http://b3.lilypie.com/DNNem7/.png

Karenn
11-02-2005, 12:40 PM
DS is 3 and we haven't started watching them yet. It just hasn't quite seemed like he was ready. I'm not sure when he will be.

Sillygirl
11-02-2005, 01:08 PM
Never say never, but I hate Disney and hope to just bypass the whole darn monolithic thing.

brittone2
11-02-2005, 02:22 PM
LOL :) No plans to do Disney for as long as we can get away with it ;) I didn't vote because I'm sure at some point he'll see some DVDs but for now he's not missing them (or TV in general) and I don't have any plans to introduce it.

aliceinwonderland
11-02-2005, 02:26 PM
I can't stand Disney. But knowing DH's family, I'll schlepp out there before E is five, I'm sure.

I myself have only seen Beauty and the Beast.

I (sounding like a broken record) hate, absolutely hate how they take liberty with all the classic fairy-tales and make them sugary to the point of nausiation.

But I pick my battles and this is one on which I will relent, I am sure.

muskiesusan
11-02-2005, 02:40 PM
Sometime after hitting 3 Nick was introduced to Nemo, then Bugs Life and, more recently, Toy Story. I like the Pixar stuff, but don't care for the regular Disney fare. He hates the car, so these movies have been a life saver for longer road trips!

Alex is still pretty oblivious to the tv at this point!

Susan
Mom to Nick 10/01
& Alex 04/04

NEVE three BUGS and a BEE
11-02-2005, 05:34 PM
for I feel exact opposite...
and while I have not read thru this thread your subject line caught my attention!!!

I find that their story lines are far from sugary..Bambi and hunters, the lion king and the BROTHER killing the lion, Lady and the Tramp and a dog walking into the gas chamber...

I actually find them pretty morbid ...

With that said we are counting down to Disney and almost watch a Disney movie a night!!!!!

I fear when a brother kills his brother in Lion King and that my children are exposed to that...honestly a lot of Disney stuff disturbs me...

And then Robin Hood with people stealing from the blind and little mamas with babies

and Pinochio...

Gosh I could go on and on with how disturbing I really think a lot of it is...

aliceinwonderland
11-02-2005, 08:23 PM
well, I realise you are probably right, because as I said I've watched *only* Beauty and the Beast...So perhaps my dislike is more irrational than I like to think, but that is okay too :)

I actually stand corrected (already) as my MIL did try to show E Nemo in their car DVD player on a long trip when he was fussy(she asked me first), but as with all things TV, my DS wasn't interested in the least :)

ykc
11-02-2005, 08:35 PM
We don't have any particular moral objection to Disney movies, but we try to avoid video media in general, so we haven't really introduced them.

That said, the daycare has movie day once in a while (more often than I'd like, but not as an everyday thing), so both children have been exposed to more than we've let them watch. And most of our friends and family are generally more lax than we are, so they've had exposure through other people too. My daughter is really sensitive to "scary" content, though that's improving now that she's 5, so we're pretty careful about what we let her watch. And let me just note that Swiper the Fox was scary to her until she was well past 3. Nemo scared her to death the first time she was exposed to it (about 3yo), but she recently watched A Shark's Tale without a quiver. My son, unfortunately, takes it all in stride.

BTW to the PP who is avoiding the Disney princesses: I don't think you can avoid the princess obsession by avoiding the princess movies. At least, it didn't work for us! :)

new_mommy25
11-02-2005, 09:00 PM
My DS doesn't have the attention span yet.

NEVE three BUGS and a BEE
11-02-2005, 10:27 PM
I wonder if we could have survived in Ukraine without Nemo...T would say "fish fish fish" (and he was a late talker so when he said that we listened).

He would even act it out.
But you are right nemo's mama gets killed in the first few minutes.

It's funny though for I let my boys watch Star Wars...Reichen is obsesssed, karsh just goes with the flow and Tristan approaches me with a life saber saying "I will cut you"...YET I won't let them watch sponge bob (I assume he is bad but must admit I know nothing about him), Calou, Arthur...

In otherwords let my two year old come to me and tell me he is going to slice and dice me with a light saber any day...let him whine like Calou and I lose it!!!!

We each have our feelings and that is our choice which makes this whole motherhood think wonderful!!!!
Disney movies actually upset me some, but they like them and have yet to appear upset over what upsets me...so c'est la vie.

s7714
11-03-2005, 12:52 AM
>I (sounding like a broken record) hate, absolutely hate how
>they take liberty with all the classic fairy-tales and make
>them sugary to the point of nausiation.

I was astounded that kids were so interested in the Little Mermaid when it came out. I simply couldn't grasp why they were loving Ariel so much when she dies (or turns to sea foam) in the end...but then I saw the Disney version. ;)

I don't mind a little sugar coating on the original fairy tales, but I do dislike how the Disney version becomes the "standard" for the way the story is told.

ETA: My DD doesn't really seem to have much interest in the movies right now. She did like the fish in Finding Nemo, but never really watched much of it. She also asks to see the Aristocats on occasion, but I think it's only because she sees the picture of cats on the cover and she loves cats.

Jennifer
Mommy to
Annalia 3/03
Sophia 6/05

When raising kids the days are oh so long, but the years are short.--John Leguizamo

MarisaSF
11-03-2005, 12:56 AM
I didn't get to vote as we're not there yet with DD.

Just wanted to add though that my Dad, who is nearly 65, STILL talks about how sad and scary Bambi is. He saw it in the theater as a kid.

TahliasMom
11-03-2005, 03:18 AM
DD is 18 months and hardly watches any tv at home, some elmo but mostly signing time and baby einstein 1-2 times a week. we're holding off on the disney movies even though we do have finding nemo, bugs life and cinderella in our collection.