PDA

View Full Version : Mama's (and papa's) with cork floors...

JFC
11-02-2005, 09:34 AM
...would you please, please, please post a picture of your cork floor?!?!

I've just about convinced DH to go the cork route (vs. traditional hardwoods) and then my mom brillantly questioned what it would really look like installed in a big room (about 500 sq. ft.) vs. the little sample. Ugh! I've been trying desperately to find pictures of wood-toned cork installed. Any help would be greatly appreciated - we only have a week before our hardwood estimate expires and I'm running out of time to convince him...

thanks,
Jess

kensjen
11-02-2005, 11:36 AM
Yes, please...someone with a photo...and more reviews....:) We are a week away from having to have our final details for some remodeling, and we think we want the cork...

Thanks!!!! Jess, hope someone can help us!! :)

tiapam
11-02-2005, 05:08 PM
I did a Google Image search for "cork flooring":

http://images.google.com/images?svnum=10&hl=en&lr=&q=%22cork+flooring%22&btnG=Search

HTH.

-Pam

Charlotte born October 2004

kensjen
11-02-2005, 05:23 PM
Thanks Pam! I saw a lot of these online and they do help. Just thought it would be nice to see more real people homes...a lot of these are special advertising photos and are too nice! I want to see a messy playroom. LOL

Our contractor has never worked with cork, and isn't sure whether to recommend it, so I am hoping to hear more about it.

JFC
11-02-2005, 07:19 PM
Thanks Pam! It was awesome of you to do a search - there were some great residential use shots in there - I think enough to give DH and I the boost we needed to decide.

Of course, if anyone w/ cork at home is reading - I would still LOVE to see YOUR floors! ;-)

Mommy_Again
11-02-2005, 09:30 PM
This probably won't be as comprehensive of a view as you are looking for since my kitchen doesnt have any huge wide open spaces, but here it is. We have hardwood leading up to it. Please excuse the various food products strewn across my counters. You can now tell what my family has eaten today!

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/30284.jpg

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/30285.jpg

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/30286.jpg

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/30287.jpg

kensjen
11-02-2005, 10:19 PM
Ashley,
Thanks so much for the photos! It was really helpful. I actually like that it isn't a big wide open space, as so many of the online photos were big open rooms. I wanted a more lived in room photo, so thank you!! Your kitchen looks great, BTW!

So how do you like the cork? Any tips or things you could think to mention about it? Like cleaning, how it is holding up, etc?

Thanks again!!

Mommy_Again
11-02-2005, 10:33 PM
The cork was already here when we bought the house, so I don't know when or how it was installed. I know the previous owners redid the kitchen in 1999, so it could have been put in then. I really like it a lot, but some of the tiles are starting to pop up/buldge at the edges. They are no longer seamless, especially around the refrigerator. I am hoping it is a problem with installation, and not the product itself (refrigerator=leaking water?). I would do a little more research if I were you and find out what would cause this to happen. Also, I would only get them installed by someone who has experience with cork- I believe you said you installer hadn't worked with cork before? I just wouldn't take the risk that they don't know how to do it right.

My problems aside, I really like the product. It is very durable and water resistant. We have a big Lab and no punctures from claws. It is quite easy to clean. If I redid my kitchen floors (which is on the wish list, but way way down there), I would probably do cork again but another color. I think the diamond/checkerboard pattern from the google search was fabulous.

Good luck- keep us posted and please post pics of the finished product!

ETA: see if it comes in rolls, rather than tiles. That would alleviate the popping problem. I know linoluem comes in rolls, so why not cork?

juliasmom05
11-03-2005, 09:04 AM
We are also looking into cork or bamboo floors. The cork comes in planks (like hardwood) which can be floated or glued and it comes in tiles. I don't think it comes in rolls :-( , but I don't think you would have the problem with peeling with the planks.

Great Kitchen :-)

Marci

Mom to Julia 4/05

JFC
11-03-2005, 02:19 PM
Ashley - Thank you so much for taking time to post the pictures! It is very helpful to see and hear more about the cork floors. I also have to tell you that I'm envious of your kitchen (and double ovens) - it is great! Thanks again for the pictures.

Jen - I think we're going to go for the cork. We're looking at floating planks from iFloor (based on a rec. from here). Not sure if this is an option for you, but we are planning on installing them ourselves. DH is very handy, but it looks really simple - just click and go - like Pergo. Good luck with your decision. ;-)