PDA

View Full Version : What do you consider "average" height for a woman?

trumansmom
11-02-2005, 10:52 AM
This should probably be in the bitching post, because this is making me nuts! I'm 5'6". I always thought this was average. For years I used to talk about how lucky I was because pants were always designed for people my height.

Last week I went shopping for jeans. I ended up buying two pair. They are both "short" sizes, and are both about and inch and a half too long!! WTH? So is 5'6" now considered "extra short"? Argh...

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/01 and Eleanor 4/04
Independent Consultant, Do-Re-Me & You!

g-mama
11-02-2005, 10:57 AM
I sure hope not because I am 5'3" - on a good day. Sometimes I buy the short or petite sized pants and after washing, they are highwaters; other times they are too long.

I would never imagine 5'6" to be short. I agree that it seems the perfect "average" height for a woman.

Kristen
Paolo 11-00
Benjamin 8-03
and a *THIRD BOY* coming in December '05

jayali
11-02-2005, 11:02 AM
I can so relate. I am finding that any pants I buy, no matter where they are from, are super long. I always thought it was because I don't wear high heals, but in speaking to my friends they are also in the same situation. I was going to submit this complaint to a local news show segment called "What's bugging you?". I hate the fact that after spending a lot of money on pants I also have to add on tailoring charges. What is going on? Are we really not considered average anymore???? And if not how tall are average women?

pb&j
11-02-2005, 11:06 AM
You've GOT to be kidding me! Average height for white women is approximately 5'4". Yes, only 5'4", according to this (and other sources): http://usgovinfo.about.com/od/healthcare/a/tallbutfat.htm

-Ry,
mom to Emma, stillborn 11/04/04
and Max, edd 01/15/06 - it's a HEALTHY BOY!

http://lilypie.com/days/060115/3/25/1/-5/.png[/img] ([img)

kijip
11-02-2005, 11:13 AM
I have always thought that 5'4-5'6 was the average for women. But everyone hassles with the long pants legs now it seems- I am just about 5'9 and I still find the legs too long on most jeans. Yes, I have shorter legs but at 5'9 I shouldn't be falling into the short catagory! Designers aren't designing for us- they are designing for 6'0 long legged 4 inch heel wearing 19 year old super models- who are wearing their jeans with racy camisoles and spike heels. I wore heels with my pants yesterday to keep the cuffs dry in the rain!

ribbit1019
11-02-2005, 11:20 AM
Another 5'3" lady here. My sis is 5'7" I've always envied her.

The CDC's National Center for Health Statistics states that the average height for a woman in the U.S. is 5'4"

Sounds too me like the pants were labeled wrong, but it does depend on the manufacturer. I have some petite or short pants that are WAY to short on *me*, and then I have others that are too long. Mostly I buy regular's because the short/petite length is too short for my taste.

I have always been infuriated by the fact that I will find a cute pair of pants and they will be six inches too long. This happens a lot with maternity clothes.

Hugs, and hopefully you can take them back!

Christy
"My Mommy" to Maddy born 06/09/04
http://lilypie.com/baby2/040609/3/4/0/-5/.png
and soon to Little Man due 03/02/06
http://bd.lilypie.com/cKLom4/.png

Join the BBB Preggo Pals!!
http://s14.invisionfree.com/BBB_Preggo_Pals/index.php?act=Reg&CODE=0

brittone2
11-02-2005, 11:22 AM
Kristen-that's me LOL. I am about 5'2" but have longish legs for a petite person (if that makes sense...I have a really short trunk). So, petite pants are often floods on me, but regular length pants drag on the ground by a few inches. Not fun! :( I can't afford to take every single pair of pants to a tailor either, kwim?

5'6" to me is average height. Sorry someone has decided 5'6" is no longer average!

elliput
11-02-2005, 11:27 AM
I have just the opposite problem. At 5'7" I am always trying to find pants that are long enough- especially in Women's sizes. Something to consider is that even though two people are the same height pants will fit differently depending on how long/short torsoed (or long or short legged) the person is.

Melanie
11-02-2005, 11:31 AM
I hear you. Lately all the jeans I've bought are 2 inches too long! I'm 5'6" as well, and always thought I was average.

SummerBaby
11-02-2005, 11:35 AM
I'm 5'9" and lately all the pants I've been trying on are too long! I just hemmed a pair for the first time in my life. I think the manufacturers are making them longer because high heels are "in." (much to my dismay) Also, take a look at the way "the kids" are wearing their pants these days- the legs drag on the ground! (I can't believe I just said that- I sound so old!)

Val
Mom to Madeline
7/28/04

Momof3Labs
11-02-2005, 11:45 AM
I'm 5'4" with longer legs and a shorter torso, and am actually relieved that pants are being cut a little longer these days! So now, I can find petite pants that are about the right length rather than being too short, while the regulars have ALWAYS been too long!

But the lack of petite maternity clothes drives me batty. Do they really think that ALL pregnant women are the same height?? Thank goodness for Old Navy and Lands End (I'm between lengths on Gap, or I'd include them, lol) - though these options weren't available when I was pg with DS#1.

table4three
11-02-2005, 12:02 PM
I'm 5'10" and when I was at Old Navy a few months back buying jeans for that in between stage after pregnancy, the SHORT ones were plenty long! Maybe I have short legs (doubt it). I think it is just how they are making them now, especially at places like Old Navy because really long jeans seem to be what the teens are wanting and that's who they cater to, IMO.

http://lilypie.com/baby1/060325/3/15/5/-6/.png

table4three
11-02-2005, 12:05 PM
In response to Lori's post about maternity clothes:

I had the opposite problem during pregnancy - I'm 5'10" and I could never find maternity pants that were long enough! Motherhood was the worst. I was puttering around with my big belly and flood pants. How sexy!!! :)

mudder17
11-02-2005, 12:47 PM
Well, I'm 5'5" and I consider myself average for an American woman, but maybe on the tall side for an Asian woman. However, that said, I have difficulty finding pants that fit me correctly because I have short legs and a very long torso. So many times, even petite sizes need folding up on the cuff. If you're not especially long torsoed, I would definitely consider 5'6" average. Unless they're just looking at all those tall, willowy models!

I feel your pain...

Eileen

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif for Leah
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/catcatcvi20040222_4_Kaya+is.png
Kaya's a cousin! 10/1/05, 5lb13oz

muskiesusan
11-02-2005, 01:40 PM
Okay, this is a pet peeve of mine. Why can't women buy pants the why men can, by length? It just makes more sense!

I am 5'2 in the right pair of shoes! I have the hardest time finding pants and, on most days, if you come to my door unexpectantly, you will find my pants rolled up in a not so trendy sort of way!

Susan
Mom to Nick 10/01
& Alex 04/04

table4three
11-02-2005, 02:01 PM
I totally agree. My DH and I talk about this all the time. Why on earth would manufacturers think it is ok to just sell women's clothing in one length when men's clothes are so specifically sized??? It really makes no sense. Plus there is no universal sizing in women's clothing! A size 10 means a million different things, depending on what store you are at, and the inseam can be anywhere from 30.5 to 33"! One of my big pet peeves!!!

gour0
11-02-2005, 02:25 PM
I was complaining about this a couple of weeks ago. I hate having to shop for petites.

Jenmv
11-02-2005, 02:41 PM
I'm 5'10". I used to have to search out longs. I could never find pants that weren't floods in high school and lately I have noticed that 'regular' pants fit me fine. Nice to know that my legs haven't shrunk and other people have noticed this too.

I agree with what others have said why can't they sell womens pants like the way they size mens pants. It makes no sense.

DDowning
11-02-2005, 03:04 PM
>So is 5'6" now considered
>"extra short"? Argh...

Good Grief. If that's considered extra short, at 5'4" with a 28" inseam, I must be considered a midget to designers!

jbowman
11-02-2005, 03:20 PM
I'm barely 5'1", and I've always thought of myself as tall ;). Seriously, I've always considered average height for women to be 5'4"-5'6".

TahliasMom
11-02-2005, 03:29 PM
this should belong in the bitching forum because petite clothes are getting longer especially pants! i just bought some sweats at macy's and they need at least an inch hacked off. what is up with that? same with jeans, with boots they are ok but with sneakers i'm tripping over my feet. and i'm 5'4"...grrr...and why is that in petite i have to buy size 12 pants but in regular i can fit in a size 10? is this so conspiracy to make short people feel fatter?

HannaAddict
11-02-2005, 04:02 PM
You have to tell me where to get the long jeans! I am 5'11" and can never find long enough jeans. Even Gap long sizes are sometimes too short depending on the cut. I do have long legs but I get sooo frustrated trying to find pants that are long enough.

Kimberly

amp
11-02-2005, 04:03 PM
Dunno, but that would make me a midget at about 5'. Guess that's why no regular pants fit me!

kedss
11-02-2005, 04:21 PM
I'm 5'11" and when I used to be uhm, thinner, I had dresses in my closet that ranged from size 4 to size 8 and I fit into all of them. I try not to go clothes shopping anymore, but at least my postpartum size 16 jeans are getting too big! :)

I used to have problems finding jeans that were long enough for me, but small enough in the waist.

edited for spelling

cmdunn1972
11-02-2005, 04:45 PM
I noticed this post in perfect time!

I was at the Ann Taylor outlet store yesterday and bought a pair of pants. Apparently, they run really long! I must've spent 30 minutes with the store manager. (The associate gave up! lol) I'm 5'5", but the regular sizes were too long, and the petites were too short. (I guess they figure that I'm going to wear 3 inch heels. Yeah, right! :P) Since their dressy pants run longer, I ended up with a 4P in a dressier pair of pants.

Marisa6826
11-02-2005, 04:49 PM
Sister, I SOOOO hear you!

I"m 5'1" on a good day and even the 'short' version of pants need an additional 4-5" cut off.

Drives me CRAZY that cropped pants on most people are just the right full length on me.

-m

cmdunn1972
11-02-2005, 04:58 PM
ITA 100%, and I'm glad you brought that up. :)

shishamo
11-02-2005, 05:34 PM
Oooh, I am so with you! I am 5'2" and short lengths are too long for ne these days.

I noticed that GAP ankle length jeans USED to have an inseam of 29", but this year inseam is 30.5-31", which is what the regular inseam used to be. No wonder nothing fits me these days....

crayonblue
11-02-2005, 05:35 PM
I totally understand! I now shop in the petite section! I am 5'7 and wear short pants in most stores or petite pants. I am long-waisted, but not that long-waisted! I don't wear 3 inch heels though, so shopping in the misses section is out. Very strange.

psophia17
11-02-2005, 05:53 PM
I come from a family of tall people (I'm the shorty at 5'7") and many of them swear by H&M for pants and long-sleeved tops.

psophia17
11-02-2005, 06:01 PM
I'm 5'7" with a short waist and long legs and until I got PG, I always bought talls because regulars were just barely too short. I know that things changed between April 4, 2003 (when my best friend and I bought me an entire new wardrobe after I lost 30 lbs) and now, because then I bought many pairs of talls from Old Navy, the Gap, NY& Co, and several other stores, and last week I went shopping for jeans and every single pair of regulars was at least 4" longer than I wanted them. And I actually like the worn out look that happens when the hem touches the ground with my 2" clogs on for a couple of months straight.

I don't get it - I think I am going to give up wearing women's pants and just shop in the mens department. Cheaper, better quality, and an inseam that is perfect.

bcafe
11-02-2005, 06:08 PM
Oh boy, I hear you! I am 5'4" and I am having such a hard time finding pants that are not dragging on the ground with inches to spare! I could strangle the salesgirl at Gap who mentioned my $60 jeans would shrink 1.5"-2", um-----WRONG! They drag unless cuffed twice..(sigh)

nitaghei
11-02-2005, 06:30 PM
A few years ago, the standard inseam for petite sizes was 28". It is now 30 or even 31" for a lot of manufacturers.

And Lands End hems or cuffs women's pants for free for most styles. FYI.

Nita (fleece is my friend)
mom to Neel, January 2003
dog mom to a PWD and a cocker (at the Rainbow Bridge)

hez
11-02-2005, 06:39 PM
A little harder to do in the winter I admit, but I lived in sundresses the whole summer I was pg with Payton. Just meant no need to deal with wrong-length pants (I'm 5'7" and still had trouble).

hez
11-02-2005, 06:42 PM
Ditto.

I did just buy a pair of CK jeans at Costco that had an inseam listed. I bought the 30" (average) and apparently that's too short. I'm 6" shorter than DH who's a 34" inseam, and all of a sudden I need 32" pants (the next size longer)???

I think I may end up going the LE route in the future :)

westgre
11-02-2005, 07:49 PM
Great! Even more to have to cut off my pants! At 4'11", even the old petites were too long for me. Ugh! Just in time for me to be looking for maternity pants...

wimama
11-02-2005, 08:14 PM
I always thought I was on the higher side of average height at 5'71/2".

I have been shopping for maternity clothes and have been very frustrated with the length of pants. Only the jeans I bought at target were the right length.

I am long waisted, but I never had a problem finding jeans or pants in the correct length, prior to this past year.

I had to have one pair of maternity jeans taken up at least two inches, they dragged on the floor and I was stepping on them, even with my Dansko clogs on.

What are designers thinking? I am a pregnant woman, whose pants are constantly falling down. Every time I walk up or down stairs I have to pull up my jeans, when I am halfway down the stairs. Otherwise I would probably tip on them.

The length of the maternity pants really bugs me. Are they trying to make pregnant women trip and fall down? I am only wearing these jeans for a few months. I shouldn’t have to pay to have them altered.

Prior to my pregnancy, I bought dress pants at Ann Taylor. I had to have these taken up, as well. I never thought of trying the petite department. I don’t really think of myself as petite, at over 5’7�.

Twin Mom
11-02-2005, 08:16 PM
If you don't mind spending a lot on your jeans, it seems like most of the "premium" jeans like Seven for All Mankind, Citizens of Humanity, etc. are super long assuming that women wear heels with their jeans. I've seen these brands discounted at Loehmann's, Nordstrom Rack and on a lucky day even Marshalls but I have yet to buy a pair b/c I can't find one that is the right length that fits well everywhere else too. I have a problem paying to have jeans hemmed. Of course one of my friends said, you know they hem them at Nordstrom for you. Duh, I won't pay full price so that isn't going to work for me. LOL.

I recently bought a pair of jeans at the Gap where the bottom drags on the ground b/c they are sooo long. I wear a small size and am 5'7" so I don't know who the super giants these companies think are buying their jeans. Not everyone is model tall. Unless I'm wearing boots, I rarely wear heels :-)

Momof3Labs
11-02-2005, 09:24 PM
Yep, I got by with plenty of shorts and capris that summer (well, when I wasn't working at least)! But even dresses are hard to fit a short body unless they are cut for a petite!

Momof3Labs
11-02-2005, 09:26 PM
Check Lands End Overstocks - they have a bunch of maternity pants there for $25 and less that can be hemmed for free!

kijip
11-02-2005, 10:20 PM
Kimberly- I have had too long pants from Gap, Seven, Levis, J Jill. Right now however, I am wearing a pair from the Gap that I consider too short. So we really can't win! My general feeling is that the bootcut and staight leg versions run the longest and the relaxed type fit run shorter. I have Gap boot cut on now but I am thinking they were the "Ankle" length which is shorter (?). I am beginning to feel like Goldilocks- TOO long, TOO Short! Good luck finding something that works for you!

kijip
11-02-2005, 10:22 PM
That is insane- at 5'9 ish I am far from petite but I have a 31 inch inseam!!!

cmdunn1972
11-02-2005, 11:07 PM
Even in men's clothes, inseam length can vary from designer to designer. It depends on how the clothes are sewn.

My MIL mentioned to me yesterday that she has bought two pairs of pants (in two different colors) that were supposedly cut and sized exactly the same. After bringing them home, she discovers that one of the pants doesn't fit while the other one fits fine. This has happened to her on more than one occasion. I guess the difference was who sewed the pants!

wimama
11-03-2005, 11:42 PM
I just went shopping tonight and found a cute pair of cord maternity pants. I wasn't going to get them because they were too long. But the lady at the MiMi Maternity section at Marshall Fields, said the alteration would be free.

I believe all regular price merchandise at Marshall Fields qualifies for free alteration.

Yeah!