PDA

View Full Version : Meaningful thank you gift for SIL?

jodi_b
11-04-2005, 12:12 PM
My husband and I are expecting our first baby. My sister-in-law (and brother-in-law!) have been SO generous in passing down baby stuff to us. They aren't planning on having any more children, so they've given us tons of exceptionally nice baby gear, linens, and baby clothes. They've saved us a not-so-small fortune!

My sister-in-law has also been an awesome source of information. She's a mom to three kids under 5 and a pediatrician. (Guess who I'll be calling during those nervous newborn days!) She's also just an extraordinarily nice person.

I've expressed my appreciation to her, but I'd like to find a thank you gift... nothing too showy or expensive (I think she would just be embarrassed), but something that would be meaningful.

Any ideas?

Thank you!

ribbit1019
11-04-2005, 12:16 PM
I can think of nothing nicer then a night out for the two of them. This happens so rarely for most people.
So complimentary babysitting services (provided by you and your DH) and a gift certificate for a night out they would both enjoy, like concert/movie/theater/food.

Christy
"My Mommy" to Maddy born 06/09/04
http://lilypie.com/baby2/040609/3/4/0/-5/.png
and soon to Little Man due 03/02/06
http://bd.lilypie.com/cKLom4/.png

Join the BBB Preggo Pals!!
http://s14.invisionfree.com/BBB_Preggo_Pals/index.php?act=Reg&CODE=0

newmommy0403
11-04-2005, 02:11 PM
I think the night out is a great idea, and if you wanted to take it a step further you could offer to keep her kids overnight (may want to do this before your baby is born!). Maybe get them a night at a bed and breakfast or something...

Another idea would be to get a really nice picture of her kids framed... with a note like "you are such a great mommy and I appreciate everything you have done for us..."

kensjen
11-04-2005, 03:32 PM
I love the night out idea. Get them a gift cert to a nice restaurant and offer to babysit...that would be great. You could even throw in movie tickets and movie candy if they would like that.

I also like the photo idea. Everyone loves photos of their kids. :) If you do end up taking the kids for the night, you could try to get a good photo to use.

You are so lucky to have a supportive SIL, and I think it is so nice of you to want to do something for her. :)

jodi_b
11-04-2005, 05:02 PM
Thank you for your ideas!

My husband and I already babysit for my nieces and nephew about once a month so my brother-in-law and sister-in-law can have a night out. (We have the kids tomorrow night!) The last couple of times we've told them that we won't take any money because they have a long line of 'baby gear' credit. So I guess we're already thanking them in that way, but we've kept it pretty informal. We could add a card and gift certificate, or maybe take the kids for a day in December so they can do their Christmas shopping together.

A picture of their kids is a beautiful idea, but they have formal portraits taken regularly and take lots of candids as well. They have photos of the kids in just about every room!

I could try to make her something crafty. I used to make a lot of gifts, but haven't lately. A nice book of essays or poems is another option. I've also considered having something engraved... but I don't know what!

Any other suggestions/opinions for me?!

Thank you!!

HGraceMom
11-04-2005, 06:21 PM
How about something they wouldn't buy for themselves - do they love good wine, beautiful serving trays, a cake stand - think wedding registry items here...

or how about items for their DC to use with the intention of them being passed down (sort of giving them first crack at something you'd like to have for your child in a few years)

lizajane
11-04-2005, 06:54 PM
this may be too personal- but it sounds like you have a very close relationship, so maybe not? my DH gave me a charm bracelet with three charms on it. just flat engravable charms. one for him and one for each kid. after dylan arrived, i put DH and my initials and our wedding date on one, dylan and his birthday on one and schuyler and his birthday on one. i LOVE it and i actually didn't think i would when he gave it to me! a bracelet with her kids names on it would connect the baby theme with the gifts they gave you.

tina-t
11-04-2005, 10:53 PM
How about a gift certificate to a massage or a relaxing day at the spa? Being a pediatrician plus having 3 kids under 5, she probably does not have enough time to pamper herself.

jodi_b
11-05-2005, 02:03 PM
Great ideas!

A couple of the great ideas are things my brother and sister in law have already done for us... they gave my husband and I a gift certificate for a B&B getaway a couple years ago, and they gave me a spa gift certificate for my birthday. They're wonderful ideas, but I don't want to duplicate something we've gotten from them... if that makes any sense.

Liza - I love the charm bracelet idea! I don't think it would be too personal of a gift since we are pretty close. It's not the kind of thing she would buy herself or that her very nice, but gift-giving-challenged husband would buy her. (The poor woman got a leaf blower for Christmas one year.) I'm definitely going to look into it.

Again, thank you for sharing your ideas with me!

Jodi

kellyotn
11-05-2005, 02:16 PM
Are there any "obsessions" she had pre-kid that she no longer has. I'm thinking expensive purses or shoes, etc. ;-) If you don't want to pick the exact item out for her, a nice gift certificate will let her go indulge herself. I was just thinking this the other day, I haven't bought a new Coach purse in YEARS because its been all about the diaper bags! (gasp!)

Or some random of-the-month club? Floral arrangements, fancy desserts, etc.

Would they use and enjoy a DVD club like Netflix or Blockbuster? We have one, and its really nice. I much prefer having a big list online than going into the video store and wandering around looking for something.

A gift cert to go get her car detailed?

Its so nice of you to want to get something nice. Its great getting all that kid-gear.