PDA

View Full Version : No sound is worse than "THUNK"

trumansmom
11-04-2005, 05:58 PM
Today was such a peaceful day. Other than a major magic marker disaster, the kids had played nicely together all day, and things were just swell. This afternoon I put DD down for her afternoon nap, and DS and I were in my room while I was putting away laundry. While I'm opening and closing drawers and closets, DS say, "Mommy! Look!" I look up as he does a face down drop on our bed onto a pillow. I absentmindedly tell him, "Oh honey. Please be careful. I would hate for you to hit the bed." I turn back around to my laundry and THUNK! He had hit the metal bed. I dropped the clothes and swooped him up and was running for the phone before he even had a chance to start crying. And then he started. Not just crying, but gut-wrenching, blood-curdling, screaming sobs. I was dialing the ped's office before I even tried to see what had happened. When I peeled his face out of my shoulder, all I could see was blood. I was able to get him cleaned off before the nurse came on the line, and it wasn't quite as bad as I had feared. There was about a 1 inch gash accross his forehead over his eye. The nurse said to bring him right in. Serendipitously, as I was gathering shoes and jackets, DH came home. He NEVER comes home in the middle fo the day, but had decided to take the afternoon off to help his father with something. We quickly agreed that he would cancel that and stay home with DD.

Anyway, He ended up not needing stitches, but just got glued back together. The goose egg will probably be there for a while, but it shouldn't scar too badly. We're supposed to wake him up every couple of hours in case of concussion, but they think he's fine. Honestly, I think *my* scars are going to last longer than his!

I hate days like today. I'm just relieved it's almost over.
Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/01 and Eleanor 4/04
Independent Consultant, Do-Re-Me & You!

mudder17
11-04-2005, 06:04 PM
Oh, big, big, big hugs for you Jeanne! I've had Kaya "thunk" 4 times now (wouldn't you know it, it always happens to me!) and once she had the blood-curdling, uncontrollable crying and screaming (that was flat on the her back on our bathroom tile floor when she rolled off the changing table--the changing pad has been on the floor ever since), once was lots of blood with a cut lip, and the other two were less serious, although we did check her pupils to make sure they weren't fixed and dilated. Toddlers are so resilient and most will make it through toddlerhood with these falls and they will recover just fine, but I agree with you that it takes the mom (and dad) much longer to recover! It was a total accident so don't beat yourself up over it.

{{{{Jeanne}}}}

Eileen

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif for Leah
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/catcatcvi20040222_4_Kaya+is.png
Kaya's a cousin! 10/1/05, 5lb13oz

lisams
11-04-2005, 06:27 PM
Oh no, you must have been so scared, I know I would have been. I'm so glad he is okay! DD does that too (throwing herself into the pillows) and it always makes me nervous.

Tomorrow will be much better. Big (((Hugs))) to you!

hez
11-04-2005, 06:40 PM
In a week or two you and I should post matching pics of 1" scars over eyebrows ;)

I agree, the mommy scars end up much worse. (((hugs))) to you for making it through this!

bluej
11-04-2005, 06:52 PM
Big hugs to you and Truman! You handled it so much better than I would have. I would have passed DS off to DH and I would have been the one to stay home. Blood does that to me :( I'm so glad your DH just happened to come home right then. Strange how those things work out isn't it?

kath68
11-04-2005, 06:54 PM
Big hugs! I sure know how you feel! Charlie had one of those over-the-eye-glue jobs a couple of months ago. He was in a funny stage at the time of putting blankets over his head and running full speed ahead. Well, the inevitable happened, and he "thunked" into a dresser and got a deep cut over his eye (hasn't done it since!). DH was on duty at the time, but on the phone with the ped's office at the time for something else. Talk about timing!

Anyway, I felt terrible about it, and that my perfect little guy might have a scar. But DH reminded me -- and I offer this as a humorous(?) way to cope: "wounds heal and chicks dig scars."

Sorry you had the traumatic day. Thankfully thankfully thankfully, DS will be fine.

kaylinsmommy2
11-04-2005, 11:08 PM
Jeanne, wow, you are such a level headed, caring mama! It's amazing that you knew exactly the right thing to do and did it quickly. This reminds me that I shoould post our ped's number up by the phone. Hmm. Actually it's in my cell phone. See how disorgaized I am? I can totally see myself panicing!

Anyway, I'm very glad that DS is doing okay. You'll be okay, too. Relax, take a nice long bath or have some wine. Tomorrow will be much better.
Caroline
Kaylin 6/5/04

http://b2.lilypie.com/9KMlm7/.png[/img][/url]

brittone2
11-04-2005, 11:16 PM
Eeek. I'm so sorry that you guys had a day like that but I'm so glad they could glue your DS back together as you said :)

Logan fell off the bed when he was 5 months old. Big old thunk and he landed right on my Pergo (no carpet). Yep, I still have flashbacks. That sound is the worst. He was totally fine after 10 mins of crying but I still feel so sad about it. We mamas definitely handle it worse than the kids do.

Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day!! Hugs to all of you...those days can wear a person out thoroughly.

mommy_someday
11-04-2005, 11:49 PM
Oh, Jeanne! I feel for you! Last week I let DS fall off the bed (I couldn't catch him in time) and he landed right on his face. He cried for a long time and had rug burn on his nose and cheeks for several days.

He's fine now. So fine that he tries to dive over the edge of the bed even when I'm *holding* him. I, on the other hand, am still wringing my hands about last week. I would tell you not to beat yourself up about it, but I can't follow that myself. :P

I hope Truman feels better soon and that your heart doesn't hurt over this for too long. (((HUGS))) to you, mama.

C99
11-05-2005, 12:14 AM
Oh Jeanne! How awful for you! I am so glad that Truman is OK and didn't need stitches.

muskiesusan
11-05-2005, 07:46 AM
Oh, that's horrible! I am glad that everything is on the mend. These kids always keep you on your toes!

Of course, you should have known this was going to happen. Remember Nick incurred gash right above his eye that needed to be glued about a month ago. Insert creepy music here....

Susan
Mom to Nick 10/01
& Alex 04/04

barbarhow
11-05-2005, 08:48 AM
Oh Jeanne-too scary! I hate that sound it is awful. Sounds like he did really well and how lucky that you guys only needed the glue. So much better than stitches. I hope today is better for you guys.
Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03, a Red Sox fan
and Anna 5/12/05, my little Yankee fan!