PDA

View Full Version : Non Profits...which ones are good ones to....

dancingnancies
11-05-2005, 05:15 PM
work for?

kijip
11-05-2005, 06:19 PM
The ones with a sound fiscal situation! Really layoffs are very common at non-profits as things wax and wane!

I would never go to work at a non-profit without reviewing the annual report and the tax returns for the last 3 years or so. Even then be careful- I started at a VERY sound organization and it eroded due to changes in the Development Director and management.

Large nationals with sound reputations are safer bets and local ones with a solid mission and decent finaces are safer as well.

Non-profit work can take a lot out of you. In fact non-profit employees report lower job satisfaction than other industries for several reasons:

-lower pay

-worse benefits (smaller groups mean pricer and less valuable health plans, no matching contibutions for gifts, less HR support, lower likelihood of matching for retirement savings etc)

-tendancy to overwork yourself for the cause. I would bring home tons of work home or go in late at night "for the babies and parents" I was serving. I wouldn't do that for a bank or a pizza parlor. It was a strain on my marriage in slight ways!

-Very replacable workforce since everyone wants a "job that gives back". Read- your managers don't need to treat you well since even if you are underpaid and overworked there are a zillion folks who want your job!

Reaseach is key here as is negiotiating job title and duties, as well as talking to whoever is leaving the position you are taking!

Good luck!

american_mama
11-05-2005, 11:09 PM
I have worked for about five local non-profit agencies, two of which were United Way's which put me in contact with many other local non-profits. In retrospect, I think that the problems at an agency were often apparent from a visit. For instance, if the offices were dingy, disorganized, low energy, there were often management problems or low morale. I don't expect most non-profits to have new or beautiful offices, but I don't expect an atmosphere of malaise and depression. You should be able to ask for things like recent newsletters and annual reports, and they should have them. The material should look at least decent and the info. in them should indicate that the agency is active, busy, and planning for the future.

I hesitate to give such superficial advice, but in my experience, if an agency can't get the little stuff right (or at least some of it, like annual reports and clean carpets), it corresponds to how well they can do important stuff, like get grants and donations, retain employees, and serve their clients.

COElizabeth
11-06-2005, 09:39 AM
Karen, I never thought about it in exactly that way, but that's a very astute observation. From my personal experience I completely agree with you!

I would also ask about staff turnover and try to talk to some former employees if possible. Many nonprofits have such small staffs that there is little room for career growth, so turnover doesn't necessarily mean anything bad (i.e. someone good may have left to take a higher-level position elsewhere), but it often does. You can also try to attend a board meeting. I think most nonprofits hold open board meetings, and you can definitely learn a great deal about an organization by sitting in on a meeting. Good luck in your search!

Elizabeth, Mom to James, 9-20-02
and Charlotte, 11-04-04