PDA

View Full Version : what did you do to celebrate YOUR birthday?

usfrph
11-06-2005, 04:57 PM
one of my friends is watching DC on saturday so i can do something with DH for a few hours. we just got back from france for vacation and i don't feel like doing the nice restaurant deal since all we did on vacation was eat! i was thinking a movie but how boring is that?

redhookmom
11-06-2005, 06:40 PM
How about taking a bottle of wine on a hike?
If it is a few hours at night how about seeing something live.

C99
11-06-2005, 06:46 PM
For my birthday last year, we went to a French bistro and *then* to a movie. But I would probably be as equally happy with spending a couple of hours w/ my husband at a museum or art exhibit, or getting symphony or theatre tix.

hez
11-06-2005, 06:47 PM
DH threw me a surprise party for my birthday (one that ended in a 0!).

I took him to a Pops concert (the Star Wars show-- he's a huge fan of the movies AND the music).

If I were to pick what we do next year for mine, I'd probably request a Pops concert or a musical, mostly because we never take the time to go anymore (something about the effort required to get a babysitter... :))

octmom
11-06-2005, 07:24 PM
Heather,

Your post made me laugh out loud. I can't help but wonder if you mean "O" as in ovulation or the other O. ;) Sounds like either (preferably both) would be a great bday present! (blush)

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03
expecting #2! EDD April 1, 2006, but expecting a C/S in March

"Baby makes days shorter, nights longer, home happier, and love stronger."

AngelaS
11-06-2005, 08:33 PM
We eat chocolate cake for breakfast. :D You want more than that?? :D

new_mommy25
11-06-2005, 08:50 PM
LOL! I think she means 30.

new_mommy25
11-06-2005, 08:52 PM
We never really do anything for my birthday. Since it's on Christmas it always kind of gets swept aside. Last year DH finally remembered to get my a cake though I admit to threatening him with violence if he forgot in the weeks leading up to it.

octmom
11-06-2005, 08:58 PM
Oh! It's a zero, not an "O"! Shows you where my mind goes. Yikes! (blushing again)

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03
expecting #2! EDD April 1, 2006, but expecting a C/S in March

"Baby makes days shorter, nights longer, home happier, and love stronger."

heatherlynn
11-06-2005, 09:35 PM
My b-day was Friday and we went for coffee and then to a bookstore. We had a babysitter for the kids. I have to say it was nice to be able to talk w/ each other and take our time browsing at the store uninterrupted! I know, not too exciting, but that's fun for us!

H-
Heather
dd 3/98
ds 8/04
and #3 edd 11/05 (it's a girl!)

Sarah1
11-06-2005, 09:38 PM
Last year, DH and I went (just the two of us) to Las Vegas.

This year on my birthday, Audrey had croup that was so bad she could barely breathe. We were at the ER in the middle of the night.

Quite a difference between this year and last!

crayonblue
11-06-2005, 11:27 PM
I'm turning the big 3-0 tomorrow. Actually in 36 minutes. Yikes! DH is taking me to dinner tomorrow night. He is planning a surprise birthday party for me on Saturday. Yes, I know about it and yes, I will act surprised! I really, really don't like surprises and he knows this, so he told me! Plus, MIL and FIL and BIL and SIL and two nephews are coming to stay with us next weekend so it's not like I wouldn't have suspected something! :)

I'm milking this one for all it's worth. Last year's birthday was a bust after DH got drunk the night before and had a terrible hangover and stayed in bed most of the day!!! VERY uncharacteristic of him which made it kind of funny. He was miserable.

lizajane
11-06-2005, 11:35 PM
happy birthday!!!!! i am 30 and so far, it is a-ok. ;)

psophia17
11-06-2005, 11:43 PM
That's where my mind went first, too, but I just couldn't make sense of it...what can I say, numbers are not my forte ;)

sarahsthreads
11-06-2005, 11:44 PM
I just hope we do *anything* for my birthday. Being in mid-December means most people are unavailable for partying, and it would surprise the heck out of me if DH planned a party of any sort anyway, surprise or not. (And it's the big 3-0 this year, too!)

I guess if I had a few hours to go out with DH, and didn't want to do a fancy restaurant, I'd probably go for a movie - but since we don't get to see many movies in the theater anymore, that's not boring to me. Barring that, I would love to go bowling or roller skating, or to an arcade - but that's probably not what you had in mind!

Sarah :)

psophia17
11-06-2005, 11:47 PM
Last year was my first birthday living in Canada, and DH told me he was taking me and DS out for dinner...but since it's family tradition to go out to the Keg for dinner where all the relatives show up (well, the same 10 every time, at least) I was expecting it.

What I didn't expect was a reserved room all to ourselves, and a stream of other friends coming to join the party as the night went on. It was really awesome - and I had many green drinks for St. Patrick ;)

This year, I haven't got a clue what's in store. DH loves surprises, though...maybe another one.

hez
11-06-2005, 11:48 PM
OK-- so now *I'm* the one who's blushing!!!

Yes, I meant zero. :) And it's been 6 months, so I can't remember if any other O's (of any type!) were involved-- I'd have to check my charts ;)

mamaturk
11-07-2005, 12:56 AM
Happy Birthday!!!!

usfrph
11-07-2005, 07:09 AM
Happy Birthday!!!

usfrph
11-07-2005, 07:12 AM
Actually going bowling sounds like fun.
We've only left DC with a sitter one other time so
anything that DH and I do just the two of us is a
treat.

pb&j
11-07-2005, 08:11 AM
My b-day is 2 days after xmas, so my celebrations tend to be low-key. There was one year we went to Manhattan for a couple of nights, and had a great steak dinner, and enjoyed walking around the city and seeing the xmas decorations. But usually it's something more along the lines of dinner out, with a glass or two of champagne. A PP mentioned bowling - I did that one year with DH and some friends and family and it was a blast! Sounds silly, but it was a great way to let loose and actually enjoy everyone's company (versus sitting quietly in a movie theater, not relaly interacting with DH).

-Ry,
mom to Emma, stillborn 11/04/04
and Max, edd 01/15/06 - it's a HEALTHY BOY!

http://lilypie.com/days/060115/3/25/1/-5/.png[/img] ([img)

bunnisa
11-07-2005, 10:53 AM
For my last birthday, DH prepared a really wonderful spread of hors d'oeuvres and we had a picnic outside. He gave me a bottle of expensive perfume I've wanted for a long time, and a really sweet card.

It was a perfect birthday for me!

Bethany
mom to one and one on the way!
http://lilypie.com/days/060226/0/8/1/-6/.png
"And children are always a good thing, devoutly to be wished for and fiercely to be fought for."
-J. Torres

pixelprincess
11-07-2005, 12:16 PM
LOVE the idea of wine on a hike!

We celebrated my birthday a little early last night by going out to a nice restaurant by "ourselves". That was a big treat for me as we don't really get to do that much.

Something I'd like to do someday (if I have an overnight childcare option) is to book a room in downtown San Francisco and spend the night out there.

brittone2
11-07-2005, 12:27 PM
I know how you feel. My bday is a few days before Christmas (22nd) and it usually kind of gets lost in the rush many years. We try to do something fun but at the same time a lot of my friends/relatives tend to completely forget about it.

DH remembers and we always celebrate, but I think it still sort of ends up blending in with the holiday rush.

brittone2
11-07-2005, 12:28 PM
Lana-glad I saw this! Happy birthday!!!

ykc
11-07-2005, 02:50 PM
My birthday is 5 days after my daughter's, so just having that out of the way is a pretty good birthday present! Anything too elaborate would probably just do us in!

We're pretty low-key about b-days around here, so usually, my husband just bakes a cake mix cake or buys a pie (!) and we eat dinner at home together. He tries to get the kids involved in getting the cake and card ready. Presents are pretty low on the priority list too (not that we don't like presents, just that neither of us can usually get it together to do anything big), but this year, he surprised me with a big, framed collage of 96 2"x2" candid photos from the past year (this was generated on the computer, so not like he had to hand assemble 96 pics!). It is just fabulous!

I eat lunch with my husband most days of the week, so we have some alone time without having to get a babysitter. But we don't get out to a nice restaurant very often, and we have only been to about 2 movies in 3 years, so a night out for a movie sounds good too!

mamalou
11-07-2005, 11:33 PM
Happy big 3-0, Lana!!!!!

Hope you had a wonderful day.