PDA

View Full Version : Dressing for a job interview

stcelia
11-07-2005, 12:23 PM
I have a job interview on Friday for a floor nurse position. A suit seems a little over the top for a job where I'll get blood and puke on me on a regular basis. Obviously, I want to make a good impression, but I'm not sure how to dress. Does anyone have a suggestion? TIA.

wencit
11-07-2005, 12:27 PM
I was taught that no matter what kind of position you are seeking, you should always go into the job interview dressed in a suit. JMO.

Good luck on your interview!

VClute
11-07-2005, 12:28 PM
I agree. I worked as a nurse, yet I went to my interview dressed as an administrator. You won't get blood and puke on you during your interview (unless it goes REALLY badly! :) )

Amy in NC
mom to Dixon, born 2/14/05

babystuffbuff
11-07-2005, 12:31 PM
Yep, I agree with Erica. Even though you'll be wearing scrubs or whatever while you're on the job, you're still looking to make an excellent impression during the interview. I always wear a suit to any job interview I go to, because I think (or I hope) that it send a message that I'm serious about the position.

Sarah

dogmom
11-07-2005, 01:13 PM
As a nurse I have shown up for job interviews in scrubs, but that was because it was an informal "lets see about transferring issue" and the nurse manager new I was coming to her right after my shift. I felt very uncomfortable doing it.

Dress up. You don't necessarily need a business suit, but matching skirt/pants and a blazer makes an impression. That tends to be the types of things I seem most clinical nurses wearing to interviews. That way if you are being shown around the unit you don't look like and adminstrative VP being shown around, but still look like you are in a job interview.

Jeanne
Mom to Harvey
1/16/03

jodi_b
11-07-2005, 01:17 PM
I used to work in the Human Resources field. I interviewed a lot of potential community health nurses, social workers, and parent educators... people who would be working in the field in less than ideal conditions. In my opinion, a suit is certainly appropriate for a floor nurse position, but I wouldn't say it's required.

Many of the candidates I would interview would wear a nice pair of tailored pants or skirt and a button-up top or sweater set. I think as long as your outfit is understated, professional, and ironed (!) you'll be fine. (As much as I hate to iron myself, I didn't like to see a candidate come in for an interview in a wrinkled top!)

I've heard the rule that you should dress one level 'up' from what is required for the position. That doesn't really apply to a floor nurse position, so I think the key is finding an outfit that you'll feel comfortable in and that won't distract in any way from what you have to say (i.e. no giant jewelry or cleavage-baring necklines). ;)

Good luck!

Jodi

lizamann
11-07-2005, 06:38 PM
I've never interviewed for nursing jobs, but just wanted to say that I've gotten all my teaching and science jobs by wearing what Jodi describes. I would have felt uncomfortable in a suit, since even the administrators don't wear suits at the places I've worked.

Just wanted to give you a data point in the "no suit" category!

psophia17
11-07-2005, 06:50 PM
I've never had an interview go well when I wore a suit - the jobs I've gotten always were the tailored skirt or pants with nice unwrinkly top.

I think the outfit you feel most confident in is the one to go with - I almost always go with a vibrant, yet understated, red top and black pants. Suits make me look like a linebacker, and since I'll never interview for that job, I see no reason to dress up for it.

barbarhow
11-07-2005, 06:55 PM
I have interviewed for many nursing jobs and never, ever worn a suit. I have to say that as a senior in college it seemed ridiculous to me that my classmates were spending money they didn't have on suits to interview in. I did not. I stiil got that job and every job since despite never wearing one. I also interviewed for my NP job in a skirt and blouse and got that. FWIW.
I think that above all one can project professionalism without wearing a suit. It is more about how you carry yourself.
That said if I were applying for an exec level position I would wear one.
Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03, a Red Sox fan
and Anna 5/12/05, my little Yankee fan!

stcelia
11-07-2005, 07:28 PM
Well, here's the update:

I found a red Jones New York suit a friend bought for me at a thrift shop about two years ago. It's pretty classic styling. My sister saw me in it and gave it the ok. I forgot I had stored it in my grandmother's extra closet. It fits ok, and I just sent it to the cleaners. I'll feel a little odd in it, because it is a suit, but I'll look like I care. I don't have much in the way of professional clothing. For some unknown reason I gave away all my clothes while I was pregnant, thinking I would never be thin again! So, I'll make do with it, rather than spend more money on more clothing that I don't have any other reason to wear.

Thank you for all your opinions. I really appreciate it. I'll let you know how the job interview goes. It is my first post gradschool, post baby job interview.