PDA

View Full Version : Need good vegetarian entree idea!

MegND95
11-07-2005, 04:01 PM
My IL's are coming this week and I am searching for dishes I can prepare for them. MIL is a vegetarian who prefers low fat meals. I've exhausted the few recipes I have, and would love some new ideas.

Thank you so much!

brittone2
11-07-2005, 04:12 PM
I've gotten some great recipes from this site (everything is actually vegan I believe), especially when I cut out dairy for a few months with DS. Here's a link to their Thanksgiving section:
http://vegweb.com/recipes/events/index-thanksgiving.shtml

I actually made this recipe (from the same site) one year and it was tasty IMHO
http://vegweb.com/recipes/events/2250.shtml. It was sort of like stuffing in a meatloaf form. We liked it :)

The Holiday Lentil Loaf would be yummy I think.

FWIW, this is OT but that site also has a fabulous whole wheat pizza dough recipe that we love. It gets super puffy and it is delish.
http://vegweb.com/recipes/pizza/3080.shtml
We just use the recipe for the dough and then top it as we would for any other pizza. I love that you can do it in the bread machine.

mharling
11-07-2005, 04:13 PM
Double post

Mary - Some days work. Some days don't.
Lane - April 2003
Faye - March 2005

mharling
11-07-2005, 04:14 PM
I have one from Cooking Light for Polenta with Italian Vegetables (including eggplant and corn). My dh, the ultimate carnivore, even likes it. Let me know if you'd like it; I can post tonight.
--------------------------------------

OK, here it is...

Polenta with Italian Vegetable Sauce

3 cups water
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper

1 1/4 cups peeled, finely chopped eggplant
1 1/4 cups frozen whole kernel corn, thawed
3/4 cup finely chopped onion
1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
2 teaspoons olive oil
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 8 oz. can no-salt-added tomato sauce
1 clove garlic, crushed

1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese

Combine first 4 ingredients in a 2-quart casserole; cover with plastic wrap and vent. Microwave on high 5 minutes, stir. 5 more minutes, stir. 1 minute, stir. 1 more minute, stir.

Spoon into a loafpan coated with cooking spray. Cover and chill at least 45 minutes.

Turn polenta out onto a cutting board; cut crosswise into 16 slices, dipping knife into cold water after each slice. Set aside.

Combine chopped eggplant and next 7 ingredients in a 2-quart casserole. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 9-12 minutes, stirring every 3 minutes.

Arrange 4 polenta slices on each of 4 microwave-safe serving plates. Top evenly with veggies and mozzarella cheese. Microwave on high for one minute or until cheese melts.

Mary - Some days work. Some days don't.
Lane - April 2003
Faye - March 2005

jbowman
11-07-2005, 04:24 PM
I have an excellent recipe for sweet potato burritos! They are so awesome! I'll look for the recipe (orig. from Cooking Light, I've modified it) and will post it later.

pb&j
11-07-2005, 04:26 PM
Cooking Light has lots of great vegetarian entrees. I think a limited selection of their recipes are available at cookinglight.com; you can see them all if you subscribe to the magazine.

Spinach Lasagna from my old standby, the Better Homes and Gardens cookbook (red and white checked cover), is a favorite around our house. It's pretty healthy to begin with, but can be made lower in fat and calories by using part-skim ricotta and/or low-fat versions of whatever other dairy (parmesan, mozarella) it calls for. You can also grate up other veggies to mix in with the spinach.

-Ry,
mom to Emma, stillborn 11/04/04
and Max, edd 01/15/06 - it's a HEALTHY BOY!

http://lilypie.com/days/060115/3/25/1/-5/.png[/img] ([img)

brittone2
11-07-2005, 04:27 PM
MMMM....please don't forget LOL. I think we'd like this recipe :)

DebbieJ
11-07-2005, 05:34 PM
I have a great recipe for Mexican Stuffed Peppers. Love it!

I am on my way out, but will try to remember to post later.

Here it is:
Mexican Stuffed Peppers
4 large red or green (or a combination) sweet peppers (I usually do half and half)

1. Wash the peppers and cut them in half lengthwise. Remove the seeds and core.
2. Place the peppers, cut side down, on a rack above boiling water. Cover the pot and steam for about 10 minutes, or until the peppers are just beginning to get soft. To ensure even doneness, do not stack the peppers on top of each other keep them in a single layer. You may need to do them in two batches.

1 T olive oil
1 c chopped onion
2 ribs celery, diced
1 t cumin
1 t chili powder
1 t basil
1/2 t oregano
2 cups cooked brown rice
1 1/2 c cooked and drained red kidney beans (1 15 oz can)
2 T tamari or shoyu (or just soy sauce)
Cayenne to taste

3. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet. Add the onions, celery, cumin, chili powder, basil, and oregano. Saute until the onions are almost tender.
4. Add the cooked rice and beans. Mix well; then add the tamari and cayenne to taste. Mix again.
5. Lightly oil a 9x13 baking dish. Fill each pepper with the bean and rice mixture and place the peppers side by side in the dish.

1 1/2 c canned tomatoes with their juice
1 6 oz can tomato paste
6 thin slices of cheese (opt)

6. Mix together the canned tomatoes and tomato paste. If the tomatoes are whole, chop them or break them up with a fork.
7. Pour the tomato mixture over the peppers. Cover the dish with foil and bake at 350 for 30 minutes.
8. Uncover the dish and top each pepper with a thin slice of cheese if desired (montery jack or mozzarella work well). Return to oven about 5 minutes more to melt the cheese.

Serve with a big green salad and slice of avocado.

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03
Breastfed for 20 months and 6 days

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/style_avatars/Ribbons/18months-bfar.jpg

JulieL
11-07-2005, 06:04 PM
Would you like a cassarol or a pasta type meal? I'll try to post one tomorrow, but knowing what you'd like to have would be helpful.

jbowman
11-07-2005, 08:51 PM
SWEET POTATO BURRITOS

3 c. peeled and cubed sweet potatoes (I use 2 sweet potatoes)
2 T. oil
1 onion, sliced
1 bell pepper, cut in thin strips
1 c. frozen corn kernels (sometimes I use a can of corn)
1/2 teas. ground cumin
1/2 teas. chili powder
1 (14 1/2 oz) can diced tomatoes
flour tortillas
1/2-1 c. shredded cheese
sour cream or plain yogurt for topping (I use light sour cream)

Lightly coat diced sweet potatoes with 1 T. oil in shallow baking pan. Bake at 425 for 35-45 minutes, until tender (I usually use less oil).

For filling, use remaining oil to cook onion in skillet about 3 minutes. Add bell pepper and cook 5 minutes more. Add remaining ingredients through chili powder. Cook 1 minute. Add undrained tomatoes (my DH doesn't like onions or green peppers, so I often skip those; I also use a lot more cumin and chili powder :)).

Simmer, uncovered, about 10 minutes, until most of the liquid is evaporated.

Fill each tortilla with 1/2 c. filling, 1/3 c. sweet potato, and 1 T. cheese. Roll up and place seam side down in greased baking dish. Brush burritos lightly with oil.

Bake at 375 for 20-25 minutes.

NOTE: sweet potatoes and filling can be cooked ahead of time and refrigerated before assembling burritos (this saves time!). Enjoy!

Edited for typos!

brittone2
11-07-2005, 08:58 PM
Yum! Thanks!

brittone2
11-07-2005, 09:00 PM
I was perusing a magazine tonight and saw a recipe for a vegetarian pumpkin risotto that looked yummy. If you are interested let me know and I'll post it.

MegND95
11-07-2005, 09:40 PM
YUM! Yes, I would love it! Thanks!

MegND95
11-07-2005, 09:41 PM
Casserole might be easier, since I can get it prepared earlier. But I am game for whatever you recommend. Thank you!

bostonsmama
11-07-2005, 09:49 PM
I recently made a vegetarian lasagne from Cooking Light Magazine that was pretty good...not great, but vegetarian great (but I'm biased b/c I love my lasagna w/ meat sauce). I think it was in last month's issues (available at the library, but I could probably post it).

Also, there's the stuffed acorn squash. Get vegetarian Stove Top, combine with dried cranberries, pecans and blue cheese crumbles and stuff it into roasted halved acorn squashes that were first baked at 400 degrees in a 9x13 pan w/ shallow water and drizzled with butter and maple syrup, then stuffed and baked again for 15 min til crispy on top. It's divine and very much a main dish you could serve w/ crusty french bread and a salad topped with strawberries, candied pecans and crumbled stilton or blue cheese (drizzled w/ Newman's Own Light Raspberry Vinagrette).

Larissa

Tondi G
11-07-2005, 10:06 PM
How about simple fajitas???

You can grill up some chicken for anyone who does eat meat. Just saute red, green, yellow bell peppers, onions..... you can also add zuchinni and or mushrooms as well. Heat some canned vegi refried beans or black beans and some spanish rice. I always love fresh guacamole too!

vegi lasagne

how about a nice vegi stew/soup. Cabbage, potato, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, corn, green beans, peas.... you could even add some rice! Serve with a green salad and some crusy bread or biscuits

~Tondi

MelissaTC
11-07-2005, 10:08 PM
Here is one of my favorites. It is low fat and heart healthy. It also converts to a great casserole (although that is not vegetarian!)

Pasta e Fagiole

2 tsp olive oil
1 small chopped onion
2 garlic cloves, chopped
2 cans (14.5 oz) fat-free reduced sodium chicken broth OR 2 cans of vegetable broth
1 can (15 oz) Cannellini beans or Great Northern beans
1 can (15 oz) diced tomatoes
1/2 c. ditalini or other small pasta
1/2 lb. Swiss chard or Spinach leaves, coarsely chopped
1/4 tsp salt

Warm oil and sautee onion and garlic. Stir occasionally (3 to 5 min) until onion is soft. Add broth (I usually add a sprinkle of oregano and basil), tomatoes w/ juice, beans and pasta. Cook for 15 minutes or until pasta is soft. Add greens and salt. Cook 2-3 more minutes or until greens are wilted. For added flavor, sprinke grated Parmesan cheese and ground pepper just before serving.

Leftovers?

Baked Pasta e Fagiole (maybe after she leaves?)

1/2 lb lean ground beef
3 cups of pasta e fagiole
3/4 cup cubed low-fat mozzarella

In a large skillet, cook beef until no longer pink. Drain and return to skillet. Add pasta e fagiole. Cook until thickened. Add mozzarella cheese. Pour into 2 qt baking dish coated with nonstick spray. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of grated Parmesan cheese. Bake in 350 oven for 15-20 minutes or until heated.

kaylinsmommy2
11-07-2005, 10:42 PM
Mary, that sounds really good. Can you post the recipe for me??
Caroline
Kaylin 6/5/04

http://b2.lilypie.com/9KMlm7/.png[/img][/url]

pritchettzoo
11-07-2005, 11:53 PM
No-Crabs-Allowed Cakes
from The Moms' Guide to Meal Makeovers

One 15 1/2 oz can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed
3/4 cup preshredded mozzarella cheese
3/4 cup dried bread crumbs, divided
1 large egg, beaten
1/4 cup light mayonnaise
1 TB bottled or fresh lemon juice
1 tsp dried Italian seasoning (I used lemon pepper)
1/4 tsp salt
Pepper
1 TB olive oil
1/2 to 1 cup pasta sauce, warmed

1. Mash the beans in a large bowl using the back of a large fork or spoon until smooth but still a bit chunky.
2. Add the corn, cheese, 1/2 cup of the bread crumbs, egg, mayo, lemon juice, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper to taste and mix well to combine.
3. Shape the mixture into eight 1/2-inch-thick patties and coate with the remaining bread crumbs (I used an ice cream scoop to portion)
4. Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over a medium-high heat. Cook the patties until golden brown, about 4 minutes per side.
5. Serve with warm pasta sauce for dipping.

Tortellini & Broccoli Alfredo
from Cooking Light Superfast Suppers

1 (9oz) package cheese tortellini (refrigerated kind)
1 (12 oz) package fresh broccoli florets
1 (1.6 oz) envelope Alfredo sauce mix
1 1/2 cups skim milk
2 tsp light butter
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 cup shredded parmesan
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper

1. Cook pasta according to package directions; add broccoli during last 3 minutes of cooking time. Drain well.
2. Meanwhile, prepare sauce mix using skim milk and light butter and nutmeg.
3. Combine pasta, broccoli, and sauce. Sprinkle evenly with cheese and pepper.

Makes 4 servings.

Anna
Mama to Gracie (Sept '03) and Eli (July '05)

brittone2
11-08-2005, 09:03 AM
Pumpkin Risotto with Wild Mushrooms from Home Companion magazine 11/05

(they recommend it can be served as a first course, as a side dish, or on its own w/ a mixed green salad and a glass of red wine ;) )

1 oz dried wild mushrooms like cremini, porcini, ****ake
1 c. hot water
2-3 TBSP butter
1 TBSP canola oil
1/3 c finely minced onion
1.5 c Arborio rice
4 C hot chicken broth
1 C unsweetened pupkin puree (they recommend organic)
1 TBSP lemon juice
1 TBSP finely chopped fresh flat leaf /Italian parsley
1/2 c. grated parmesan cheese
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Additional cheese to serve, optional

1. Place mushrooms in a large measuring cup and add hot water to them. Be sure mushrooms are submerged. Set aside for a minimum of 10 mins
2. Heat 2 TBSP butter w/ oil in a large, heavy saucepan over medium heat. Ad onion, cooking 3-5 mins oruntil softened. Add the rice and stir to coat, which takes about 1 minute
3. Add 1/2 c. chicken broth and stir until broth has been absorbed. Contiue to add broth in 1/2 cup increments stirring between additions. After approx. 15 mins, when rice is tender but still firm and the broth has been added, add the pumpkin and stir vigorously to blend.
4. Place a strainer over a cup or bowl and drain mushrooms, reserving broth. Chop mushrooms and place in a small saucepan with the remaining 1 TBSP butter and cook for 1-2 mins uor until hot. Set aside.
5. Add 1/2 c. mushroom broth to the risotto and stir to blend. If the risotto seems thick, add the remaining 1/2 c. mushroom broth. The mixture should be somewhat soft, but the rice should be firm. Add 1/2 c. Parmesan cheese and stir just enough to blend. Taste for seasoning and adjust as needed. Transfer risotto to a serving dish and top w/ mushrooms. Serve immediately w/ additional cheese on the side if desired.

mamicka
11-08-2005, 10:00 AM
I think alkagift posted a recipe a few months ago for Thai Chickpea stew - it's super easy in the crockpot. I've made it a few times already & everyone loves it, even DS.

Allison

annex
11-08-2005, 10:33 AM
Here's a very yummy and easy pasta dish (roasting the veggies really makes the difference) from Everyday Italian:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_25693,00.html

Pasta Primavera
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Yield: 6 servings

3 carrots, peeled and cut into thin strips
2 medium zucchini or 1 large zucchini, cut into thin strips
2 yellow squash, cut into thin strips
1 onion, thinly sliced
1 yellow bell pepper, cut into thin strips
1 red bell pepper, cut into thin strips
1/4 cup olive oil
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon dried Italian herbs or herbes de Provence
1 pound farfalle (bowtie pasta)
15 cherry tomatoes, halved
1/2 cup grated Parmesan

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.

On a large heavy baking sheet, toss all of the vegetables with the oil, salt, pepper, and dried herbs to coat. Transfer half of the vegetable mixture to another heavy large baking sheet and arrange evenly over the baking sheets. Bake until the carrots are tender and the vegetables begin to brown, stirring after the first 10 minutes, about 20 minutes total.

Meanwhile, cook the pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water until al dente, tender but still firm to the bite, about 8 minutes. Drain, reserving 1 cup of the cooking liquid.

Toss the pasta with the vegetable mixtures in a large bowl to combine. Toss with the cherry tomatoes and enough reserved cooking liquid to moisten. Season the pasta with salt and pepper, to taste. Sprinkle with the Parmesan and serve immediately.