PDA

View Full Version : Sorry, another digital camera question

luvmypeanut
11-08-2005, 02:13 AM
My dad is going to Vietnam for 3 months and I would like to get him a camera. He's basically a point and shoot kind of guy and will most likely not do any kind of tweaking afterwards.

Needs:
- large LCD screen
- small and light
- easy to use
- good for outdoor and indoor use

I'm not worried about manual controls or advanced functions, it will only confuse him. He's not bringing a laptop but I'll get him a 1GB card which should last him the entire trip. I read some reviews on the Canon SD500/550 and the Casio EX-750. Are there others I should look at? I'd like to order it soon so he can play with it before his trip in Dec.

Thanks!

SASM
11-08-2005, 02:24 AM
We just bought the SD400 and LOVE it so, if cost is a factor, look at the SD400. The SD450 has an even larger screen, as you probably already know. We haven't printed any photos yet but my cousin has the SD300 and I was blown away by the sharpness of its prints!! I really had to look hard to make sure that it WAS indeed a digital print! The Digic II processor is just AMAZING ~ it is soooo hard to believe that a digital can be this fast. :)

Good luck with the decision.

ETA: I will TRY to attach a photo taken in PITCH blackness (the airplane) and a photo that is "busy" (Bryn in highchair). I was shocked to see the nighttime photo on the screen ~ sooo clear! This camera is great :)

Sorry...Something is not allowing me to upload so I'll try again in the AM.

BillK
11-08-2005, 07:05 AM
My brother in law has an SD400 also and is very happy with it - I like it as well.

In addition to my Nikon D50 dslr - I have an older Canon Powershot S50 that I really like also (it is up to the Powershot S80 model now I think). The Powershots are slightly larger than the SD line (but still small) - which is a good thing imo. I like the lil SD's but wow they really are tiny - tiny to the point of being slightly hard to control at times.

luvmypeanut
11-08-2005, 02:19 PM
Ok, trying to decide between the SD400 and SD450 then based on your recommendations. Although bascially the only difference is the LCD size, a lot of users noted that the image quality of the 450 is not as good as that of the 400. So I'm wondering if this is something only an enthusiast would notice? My dad is 65 and squints a lot because he doesn't always use his reading glasses when he should which is why I'm considering the 450 for the LCD size. But I think he would be happy with the 400 if the pics are better quality.

Grrr, I'm sure I'm over-thinking this!

Tondi G
11-08-2005, 04:20 PM
we just bought the Canon SD550 and LOVE it! It is fantastic, takes amazing pics and has FAST shutter speed! Can't say enough good things about this camera!

~Tondi