PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite BOARD GAME to play with your kids??

Corie
11-08-2005, 09:30 PM
My daughter is always wanting to play board games.
Tonight, we played the board game called Sorry!
Any other suggestions??

Hoping to get some great game ideas for her birthday
and Christmas gifts!! :)

bluej
11-08-2005, 09:55 PM
My older kids and I really like Blokus and Gobblet (not sure if those count as board games). We also really like Sorry, although it's been awhile since we've played that one.

bostonsmama
11-08-2005, 11:16 PM
How old is DD? I say this b/c most youngins don't do too well until they're a little older (3-4), although I've always been able to play Memory-the Disney kind is fun, Old Maid card game, Go Fish card game, Candy Land, and Shutes and Ladders with mature toddlers and 3-6 year olds, and when they're older (like 7+) Life, Scrabble Jr., and Monopoly are pretty cool. I guess it just depends. Sorry is great and pretty easy, too. I have fond memories of playing that when I was younger.

Larissa

babyready
11-08-2005, 11:24 PM
Oh gosh, I love board games. DD is too young to play still, but here are some of my favorites from when I was a kid:

Guess Who?
Candyland
Life
Battleship
Trouble
Clue
Yahtzee
Uno
Skip-Bo
Connect Four
Hungry, Hungry Hippos
Don't Break the Ice (these were all good...Don't Spill the Beans, Ants in my Pants, etc)

Here are some that are new, that I can't wait to play with DD when she gets older (they are based on games I love now):
Sequence for Kids
Apples to Apples Junior
There is a whole line of games from the makers of Cranium. I bought Cadoo for my nephew one year and we all played, it was great!

Can you tell I love games? Hehe. So much fun.

Corie
11-08-2005, 11:26 PM
Larissa,

My daughter will be four in a couple of weeks!!

I am going to buy her two games made by HABA too.
I would like to get her "The Orchard" and "Candy & Co."
(These games were recommended to me by another BBB mom.)

I'm just waiting for another Maukilo co-op to get
the 20% off !! :)

I was thinking about getting Old Maid and Go Fish too.
Thanks for the reminder!!
I remember playing Old Maid with my grandparents and
we had so much fun!!

bostonsmama
11-08-2005, 11:33 PM
OMGosh, I loved Guess Who growing up, as well as Battleship and Clue when I was older. This thread is bringing back such great memories, especially since I played Uno w/ DH tonight (something we had tucked away since 2 Christmases ago).

I think Hungry, Hungry Hippos, Don't Break the Ice, Trouble, and Skip Bo will be awesome and very age appropriate Corie!! Enjoy surprising your little one. I'm sure they'll build lots of happy memories for your family.

Larissa

mskitty
11-09-2005, 01:27 AM
My favorite game as a young kid was Rack-O. My grandma and I spent many a Sunday afternoon playing it while waiting for the bread to rise. It's great for teaching kids larger numbers.

Jenga is a hoot for the little kids as well. They thinks its horribly entertaining to topple the tower. You play often, but not long :)

MsKitty

ctmom
11-09-2005, 08:27 AM
My dd played Yatzee-Disney Edition, at a friends recently and LOVED it! She is putting it on her Santa list. It is the same concept as the original Yatzee, but it doesn't require math skills, the dice have pictures on it. FYI, she is almost 5...

elliput
11-09-2005, 08:31 AM
I remember playing Parcheesi when I was about 5.

redhookmom
11-09-2005, 10:07 AM
I love playing board games! It is a part of our daily routine. Current favorites for my dd who is 3: Zingo, Secret Square, Animal Pairs, toot and otto, and Elephants on Parade.

My son who is 6 really likes the Family Pastimes games. They are all co-operative. He has a hard time with losing so they they are far less stressful for him.

redhookmom
11-09-2005, 10:40 AM
I have huge issues with Guess Who, and how they make it now! We bought it and it was somewhat frustrating to play. When you flipped one face down a few others might fall. I just didn't remember it being like that. Then I was at a friend's house and she had the Guess Who from way back when. It was much bigger and easier for little hands. I would be willing to pay a few extra bucks for the old style!

babyready
11-09-2005, 01:54 PM
Oh wait! I am remembering something like this from when I played a few years back while babysitting. I don't remember exactly what it was, but I remember that it was not as well designed. I had totally forgotten about that! Hmmm...how disappointing. What a great game, we played for hours when I was a kid!

bunnisa
11-09-2005, 03:42 PM
I just bought the original reproductions of Clue & Candy Land on Barnes & Noble today. I don't like the new Candy Land! I don't know why they "updated" it. BTW, DS is only 2 so obviously I buy well in advance! :)

The next one I plan to buy is Uncle Wiggily
http://tinyurl.com/cwum9

Other than that, I'd like to buy Chutes & Ladders and Hi Ho Cherry-o.

Carcassone is a fun one for older children, and has many "extension" packs.

Bethany
mom to one and one on the way!
http://lilypie.com/days/060226/0/8/1/-6/.png
"And children are always a good thing, devoutly to be wished for and fiercely to be fought for."
-J. Torres

Aarohismom
11-09-2005, 04:42 PM
We love playing Hi-HO Cherry-O here!

jvorhis
11-09-2005, 04:48 PM
DD is still to little but we love playing Uno Attack with our friends!

pritchettzoo
11-11-2005, 10:26 PM
Gracie got Cadoo (by the Cranium people) for her birthday and it's fun! :)

Anna
Mama to Gracie (Sept '03) and Eli (July '05)

ismommy
11-11-2005, 10:44 PM
We just started playing chutes and ladders but my friend sys trouble is more fun
Helene
mommy to Isabella
and Gunner
http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif

alkagift
11-11-2005, 10:56 PM
Cadoo might be fun, it's a memory type game. I actually like the games by Cranium, they seem to be a kid-oriented smaller company. I actually wish DS was older so we could play Hullabaloo!

Allison
Mommy to Matthew, who is TWO!

Are you TTC and want to share with BBB friends? Join us! http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/BBB_TTC/

kensjen
11-11-2005, 11:01 PM
I know, I can't wait to play some of these games with DS. Cadoo looks fun, there are so many new games that weren't around when I was young. I have to look all of these up.

I have fond memories of candy land and chutes and ladders... ;)

marinkitty
11-11-2005, 11:16 PM
Sorry was always my favorite growing up!! And then we played it last year at Christmas and I got trounced by my niece who was 6 at th time!

Holly
Mom to Mia (3.17.03) and baby brother Jack (3.23.05)

marinkitty
11-11-2005, 11:16 PM
Sorry was always my favorite growing up!! And then we played it last year at Christmas and I got trounced by my niece who was 6 at th time!

Holly
Mom to Mia (3.17.03) and baby brother Jack (3.23.05)

alkagift
11-11-2005, 11:19 PM
Jen, we play Cadoo with Matthew (sort of, he doesn't really go by the rules) but it is his favorite game--I'm sure your DS could play it too. It involves keys, balls, little doors and shapes, colors and numbers. When we gave it to someone else for a birthday present and she unwrapped it, he just shouted "GAME!" because he thought we were giving his prized possession to someone else!

Allison

Are you TTC and want to share with BBB friends? Join us! http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/BBB_TTC/

alkagift
11-11-2005, 11:19 PM
Jen, we play Cadoo with Matthew (sort of, he doesn't really go by the rules) but it is his favorite game--I'm sure your DS could play it too. It involves keys, balls, little doors and shapes, colors and numbers. When we gave it to someone else for a birthday present and she unwrapped it, he just shouted "GAME!" because he thought we were giving his prized possession to someone else!

Allison

shishamo
11-11-2005, 11:32 PM
Hi,

I just want to say you probably mean Cariboo, not Cadoo?

Cariboo can be played with younger (say, 2 or 3 years old) kids and there is a key, etc. Cadoo requires that you are reading well since you use this colored glasses to read secret words. We have Cadoo and it is fun but not for younger kids..... My kids played with Cariboo at friend's house too, it's also fun :-)

shishamo
11-11-2005, 11:32 PM
Hi,

I just want to say you probably mean Cariboo, not Cadoo?

Cariboo can be played with younger (say, 2 or 3 years old) kids and there is a key, etc. Cadoo requires that you are reading well since you use this colored glasses to read secret words. We have Cadoo and it is fun but not for younger kids..... My kids played with Cariboo at friend's house too, it's also fun :-)

August Mom
11-11-2005, 11:33 PM
We like Memory and High Ho Cherry-O around here. DS likes Candyland, but I could take it or leave it.

August Mom
11-11-2005, 11:33 PM
We like Memory and High Ho Cherry-O around here. DS likes Candyland, but I could take it or leave it.

ismommy
11-12-2005, 12:10 AM
I will have to check out Cadoo
Helene
mommy to Isabella
and Gunner

ismommy
11-12-2005, 12:10 AM
I will have to check out Cadoo
Helene
mommy to Isabella
and Gunner

alkagift
11-12-2005, 12:16 AM
Yes, yes, CARIBoo. Duh, it's right across the room from me, I'm sorry I didn't just lean over and look at it! Sorry about that!

Allison

alkagift
11-12-2005, 12:16 AM
Yes, yes, CARIBoo. Duh, it's right across the room from me, I'm sorry I didn't just lean over and look at it! Sorry about that!

Allison

Corie
11-16-2005, 12:28 PM
I was just at Toys R US browsing the board games
and they had out rebate forms available on 12
different board games.

*You must have the official mail-in rebate
certificate to send in along with your original
cash register receipt.
The receipt has to be dated between November 1, 2005
and January 15, 2006.

Here are the 12 games that have a rebate.

Monopoly $3
Clue $3
The Game of Life $3
Sorry! $3
Jenga $3
Scrabble $3
Guess Who? $2
Operation $2
Battleship $2
Connect Four $2
Twister $2
Trouble $2

Corie
11-16-2005, 12:38 PM
****This is extremely important!!!!****

If you are giving the games as gifts, don't forget
to write down the UPC code number off the game box.
You must write the UPC Code on the official
rebate form to mail-in!!!!