PDA

View Full Version : Treadmill and exercise question

ismommy
11-09-2005, 05:33 AM
I am looking into starting to exercise and thought I woul check here first:)
Marisa - didn't you gett a new treadmill - looked for the post but can't find it. I was thinking a treadmill might be good since it is getting cold here. Which one did you get and any other recomendations?Also do you find you really use it? I am afraid I would buy one and it would end up being a place to hang coats!
Maybe joining a gym would be more motivating? I don't know - just looking for advice
Also if anyone has any good exercie DVDs they like please let me know.
Thanks so much
Helene
mommy to Isabella
and Gunner
http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif

houseof3boys
11-09-2005, 08:21 AM
Hi Helene! Great question since so many of us can get lazy with exercise easily. :-)

For me, the gym is the solution since I can work out in peace with the kids at the daycare. It is much more motivating for me too since the classes keep me entertained. I really look forward to my time at the gym everyday and the variety of the machines. For me to get in my cardio, I sometimes do the bike for 30 mintues then hop on the elliptical for 10, then do the stairs until I can no longer work out!

I'll check my stash of exercise videos/dvd's and get back to you since most are collecting dust over here. At least the dust bunnies are getting a workout!

kimbe
11-09-2005, 10:02 AM
I was afraid to buy a treadmill for the same reason! So, I decided to buy a cheapo one -- that way if I used it, great, and if I didn't, I didn't soak a lot of cash into it. We bought ours the day after Thanksgiving a few years ago for $200. My parents did the same thing as I did. You can usually get one that is a little better on sale that day!

I love my treadmill. It is so convient -- no driving to the gym, you'll be done by the time you would get to the gym. It is boring though. Make sure that you have it in front of the tv or something. Watching Friends make the half hour of running go by faster!

P.S. I also bought two little hand weights for when I am feeling extra ambitious! :)

jec2
11-09-2005, 12:24 PM
Helene, rather than a treadmill, I would go test drive an elliptical machine. This is what I use at the gym and LOVE it. To me, it is a cross between a stair climber and a treadmill. It is especially more gentle on the knees than a treadmill, which you might prefer.

I've also been doing Pilates too. I LOVE it. I like it much better than yoga in terms of a workout. One of my mommy friends teaches a semi-private class out of her home for a small group of us. If you can corral up a couple of friends you might be able to find somebody willing to do this. I like it b/c of all the personal attn. we all get.

jodi_b
11-09-2005, 01:04 PM
I second the vote for an elliptical machine and the vote for putting at-home exercise equipment in front of a TV. I'm not much of a TV watcher, but it sure beats staring at a wall!

I don't know what your price range is, but for us, most of the quality at home elliptical machines were more than we wanted to spend. The ones that were in our price range seemed to have more of a bouncing motion than a striding motion. We finally found one that we're really happy with. It's the Eclipse 1100 HR model. It doesn't take up a huge amount of floor space, it's quiet, and it has a smooth stride. My only complaint about it is that the monitor seems to eat batteries.

I hope you find something that works well for you! It's SO hard to get motivated to exercise some days!

CiderLogan
11-09-2005, 01:36 PM
I would go for the gym membership if you have one relatively close. The fact that I am paying every month motivates me so much more than having equipment at home (I don't have any machines but I do have an exercise ball and several videos, and I hardly ever use them). Going to a gym also gives me the opportunity to use lots of different machines so I don't get bored, I get a chance to use the weight equipment instead of just focusing on cardio, and I really enjoy the classes when I'm able to make them. Mostly for me, though, it was financial - getting a good quality training machine would cost as much as a couple of years at my gym, so it was hard to justify sinking that much money for one thing.

Anyway, whatever you choose, congrats for getting so focused on fitness! It is SOOO hard to stay motivated and stick to it when we all have the little ones taking up so much of our time! :)

Jenny
Mom to Julia, 8/03
...and another one due 5/29/06!

marinkitty
11-09-2005, 01:38 PM
We have been struggling with the treadmill decision too. Once the snow hits no more outside walks here. I'll be curious to see what treadmill owners have to say.

I just went to my first real (vs. prenatal) yoga class in three years on Monday at a little neighborhood studio near me. So, so wonderful. It was a great workout and I came home feeling so unstressed. This place even has a class two mornings a week with childcare on site, so I'm definitely looking into that. I'm going again tomorrow and cannot wait - it definitely was great to get out of the house for a real workout. Any luck finding a place with childcare near you?

Holly
Mom to Mia (3.17.03) and baby brother Jack (3.23.05)

Marisa6826
11-09-2005, 03:14 PM
I did get one. The Nordictrack 2420. I have used it a couple of times, but currently have an achilles tendonitis, so I'm not allowed to walk long distances at the moment.

It's a very cool treadmill, though.

-m

sbirmantaz
11-09-2005, 03:50 PM
I just got a Bodyguard treadmill and it is great! It is really nice to have it, especially when the weather outside is bad. Also, you pay a lot for it so you feel like you should use it!
Sharon
dd #1 09/24/02
dd #2 11/19/03

mary b
11-09-2005, 03:50 PM
Hi, I have recently started using the elliptical machine and really like it and feel like I am getting a good workout. I have a question that I am hoping one of you can answer. Do you have any good websites or advice for different workouts? I am using a Star Trac one at the gym and I know there are different programs within the machine but hoping someone has some proven ones you like.

Thanks!
Mary

ismommy
11-09-2005, 04:02 PM
Thanks guys for the all the great responses. I have been walking and am going to go check out two gyms to see which one I prefer.
Marisa - sorry about your achilles tendon. Have you gotten to use the treadmill at all since I thought I remember you having back problems recently too? Anyway I hope you feel better and get to use that super cool treadmill soon.
Helene
mommy to Isabella
and Gunner
http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif

crayonblue
11-09-2005, 06:04 PM
We have been debating what exercise equipment to get. We are going to go with a bike. I have a friend who is in FABULOUS shape (really, I wish you could see her!) and has had SIX kids and only uses a bike to stay in shape.

I have Pilates videos and I love them.