PDA

View Full Version : First haircut?

cleo27
11-09-2005, 10:11 AM
I am just curious when most people have taken their kids for their first haircut? DD is 17 months old and doesn't have a whole lot of hair, but it is looking a little unruly at this point. In the back it looks a little uneven, but it has developed a few curls back there that I fear will not grow back. :( I think it is probably time to go and have it "shaped up" a bit.

Of course, DH is fighting me on this. He has always had an issue with me getting my hair cut. It is so annoying - he is just obsessed with long hair. Even if mine looks terrible and just hangs around my face, he will never acknowledge (sincerely!) that it looks better after a good haircut. He will say it looks nice when prompted, but it doesn't seem sincere.

Anyway, sorry to go off on a tangent rant. I am just wondering if most kids have their first haircut around this age.

Thanks!

octmom
11-09-2005, 10:14 AM
DS was a bit old-- 22 months. He started to get a mullet and that was enough to convince us he needed it cut. It's been around two months and I think he is nearly ready for another haircut. It's beginning to get a little shaggy again.

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03
expecting #2! EDD April 1, 2006, but expecting a C/S in March

"Baby makes days shorter, nights longer, home happier, and love stronger."

Momof3Labs
11-09-2005, 10:17 AM
LOL, DS had his first haircut around 6-7 months of age - and yes, he needed it then! His hair isn't thick or dark, but it grows fast and straight!

BillK
11-09-2005, 10:19 AM
hehe - our son will be 9 months old this Saturday and he "just" had his first haircut last Sunday - courtesy of my wife's mom.

Clicky for before, during and after pics.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=37&topic_id=265820&mesg_id=265820&page=3

edit: oh yea - I'm obsessed with long hair too ;) - it's a guy thing and something that's just best to accept and move on with. Even though my wife's hair keeps getting shorter every time she sees the stylist. :(

ctmom
11-09-2005, 10:21 AM
dd#1 was about 18 months old and dd#2, who is 23mo, still hasn't had one. We just keep it off her face with clips or elastic bands.

barbarhow
11-09-2005, 10:30 AM
Anna was only 7 weeks when she got her first trim-she had a mullet that was worthy of mullet.com. She has had 2 subsequent trims.
Jack had his first real haircut at nearly 2 years-it was pretty traumatic for him. He now sits in the chair without a fuss but that first go was pretty awful. He, too, had those wonderful curls. I miss them but he definately looks more like a boy now than a baby.
Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03, a Red Sox fan
and Anna 5/12/05, my little Yankee fan!

HIU8
11-09-2005, 11:00 AM
I think it depends on the child. Personally, DS who will be 1 year in two weeks, had his first haircut at 8 months. He had so much hair it was falling everywhere, and it was thick. I took him to my hairdresser who cut just a bit off (didn't want to scare him). Each time we have been back she cuts more, but leaves his cute curls so they will look really nice. This weekend DS will have his fourth haircut so far. Sometimes people wait until 12 months --some kind of milestone thing. I really do think it depends on the child and also the parents views on long vs. short hair. For example. My hair is bobbed and DH has short hair. DS looks so much cuter when his hair is short and shaped around his face than when we let it grow and it just goes everywhere. at this age it's really the parents personal preference. It DS was a DD I probably would have waited to get a first haircut.

HTH
Heather
DS 11/27/04

CecilysMom
11-09-2005, 11:37 AM
My daughter is 19 months and has yet to have a hair cut. She was born with a ton of hair, and it has grown really long, but my husband and I both like her hair long. I have to tie it up everyday or she will have hair hanging in her face. My mom has been saying she needs to at least get the hair in her face trimmed, but my husband really does not want her to have bangs. So I have no idea when we will give her her first hair cut.

cleo27
11-09-2005, 12:19 PM
LOL, I figured it was a guy thing, but he can still be a bit annoying about it! :)

s_gosney
11-09-2005, 12:39 PM
We have this ongoing debate in our house too, both about my hair and dd's. Even if my hair ends up in a pony tail most days, dh still insists he likes it better long. I've finally convinced him by telling him that I will feel more attractive if I get it cut into more of a style.

As for dd...she just turned 2 and she hasn't had hers cut yet. The top has been too long to wear down for several months now, but I've fought the idea of getting bangs because I don't want to have to trim them or have them trimmed all the time. Judging off of my dd's personality, I'm guessing that a trip to the stylist won't be much fun for her or the stylist, so I want to keep it as infrequent as possible. Now though, the back is starting to get pretty long, and although dh likes it long, I think I've convinced him that we should get it trimmed up even to the sides so she doesn't continue to grow a tail. I know the 80s are coming back, but she really doesn't need a tail! :) I'm also contemplating bangs at this point because now that dh is a sahd, he needs to be able to fix her hair and he insists that he can't do the pebbles look pony tail. We'll see if I cave to bangs or not...
So, that is my very long and drawn out answer. :) Sorry about the rambling...

babymama
11-09-2005, 12:58 PM
My son will be 2 years old in exactly a week, and he still hasn't had a true haircut. His hair is thin and wavy, so for a long time he didn't even have much hair. His bangs are still well above his forehead - so no need to take anything off the top. The back is a little long, but he's got curls...so you can't really tell how long it is unless his hair is wet.

At around 18 months, I trimmed a couple of curls in the back bc he was taking a school picture. It was no more than 3 snips. So other than that, we've not trimmed or had it trimmed any.

I really like the wispy curls around his ears, and even if we did have it cut in the back, I would have them keep the sides the way they are now.

Lydia
Mama to Santiago, born 11/16/03 and
One on the way, due 01/03/06

kedss
11-09-2005, 02:09 PM
I can't remember when we first cut DS' hair but we've done it a few times already, his hair is like mine, thick and it grows like a weed, so we tend to trim it when the bangs get too long. We haven't tried the barbershop yet, its hard enough for him to sit still for us, I can't imagine what would happen in a barbershop!

murpheyblue
11-09-2005, 03:50 PM
DD is 25 months and we haven't cut her hair. It's very short and curly, especially in the back. She already gets mistaken for a boy because it's so short but I can't make it grow any faster than it's growing. If her hair was straight, I'd consider cutting in bangs but her hair is too wavy/curly so I don't think they would lay flat.

pittsburghgirl
11-09-2005, 08:37 PM
My DS is 21 months and still no haircut. He has fine, blond hair with some little curls, it's a little long in the back but not yet a mullet.

In our house, it's my DH who wants to get it cut, and I'm resisting. I don't want to lose the curls, he will look like such a big boy once it's cut, now he looks like a little angel boy :)

Marilee
mommy to James
http://lilypie.com/baby2/040120/1/1/1/-5/.png

RwnMayfair
11-09-2005, 10:21 PM
Taran had his first haircut at 10 months - it was starting to look too messy and unruly at that point. Elowen doesn't have enough hair to cut yet. Or do much of anything with. ;)

-Melissa

Taran, November 20, 2003
Elowen, August 20, 2005

http://lilypie.com/pic/051031/edeJ.jpg http://b2.lilypie.com/jn4Ym4/.png
http://lilypie.com/pic/051031/bvVl.jpg http://b1.lilypie.com/9Ogqm5/.png

kboyle
11-09-2005, 10:44 PM
Charlie was 13 mo when he got his first cut and he needed it 8 mo prior to that. It was so long that I had to clip it back when he ate. I just wanted to wait till 1 yr to cut it. Max is only 3 mo and his hair is already 2.5 in long and sticks straight up, he looks like a rooster!! I'd love to wait till 1 yr, but I doubt we can wait that long w/ this one.

Charlie got his hair cut for his bday then buzzed for the 4th of july then we just got it cut sun and it was almost to his eyelashes. I just love him w/ long hair, but we do buzz him for summer.

Oh, and he was good sun for the cut, but normally he's terrible, I even took him to one of those fun kid places...he still screamed.