PDA

View Full Version : DC as baby model - anyone done this?

niccig
11-09-2005, 01:36 PM
Are there any BBB mums whose DC has been in photos or commercials? What is it like? Any advice?

Several friends and absolute strangers keep telling us to put DS in print ads or commercials. It's nice to hear that people think your DC is cute, but I'm not sure if I want to do this. DH says we don't know what's involved and maybe we should try it. Any money would go into a college fund. We live in Los Angeles and a friend is a headshot photographer, so it is possible.

TIA Nicci

ribbit1019
11-09-2005, 01:39 PM
No experience, but people tell that to us too. I considered it and went so far as to research for an agency but in Ohio there aren't a lot of options! I am sure in LA you would have MUCH more luck. ;)
GL with whatever you decide!

Christy
"My Mommy" to Maddy born 06/09/04
http://lilypie.com/baby2/040609/3/4/0/-5/.png
and soon to Little Man due 03/02/06
http://bd.lilypie.com/cKLom4/.png

Join the BBB Preggo Pals!!
http://s14.invisionfree.com/BBB_Preggo_Pals/index.php?act=Reg&CODE=0

Tondi G
11-09-2005, 03:52 PM
I also live in Los Angeles! I took my first DS to an agency when he was a year and they were happy to take him on. They didn't require professional head shots just pics we took.... and you needed to update every few months with new ones. There are a bunch of agencies out there but not all accept infants/toddlers. I suggest looking on the SAG website! My neighbor just got an agent for her 8 month old DS and he has been on two auditions (one for Quiznos baby bob! LOL) She is with Buckwald I think. There is also Coast to Coast.

Just be preparred to be accessible all the time via pager or cell phone. You will also need to get a work permit. If your kiddo is at all shy about going to other people you might consider waiting. All in all I feel it can't be a bad thing to create a college fund!

Good Luck... HTH's you!

~Tondi
Mommy to Mason 7/8/01 and Aidan 5/4/05

hez
11-09-2005, 03:58 PM
We fell into a photo shoot with Payton-- somebody really smart figured out that employees of our co & their kids would make great models, and I've seen some of the shots they've taken of other families used in print ads and end-of-aisle displays at stores.

The photo shoot itself wasn't bad-- no worse than trying to get pics of him at Sears except lots and lots and lots more people and cameras and lights. Just had to get him focused on me (I was in the shots with him).

The only thing I felt the slightest bit weird about was signing away all our rights to the pictures, but the trade off of maybe seeing him on a mailer balanced that out. With that said, I might want someone with legal experience reading through any contracts when you get started.

omgrown
11-09-2005, 07:42 PM
My DS has a print agent and has done a couple of photo shoots. Feel free to PM me and I can give you some of our experience. We're in NY so I don't have any specific LA info, but I'm happy to share what knowledge of the industry I have.

niccig
11-09-2005, 09:28 PM
Thanks Tondi. I'll look on the SAG site. DS works in the entertainment industry (editor), so he's going to ask around as well.

I'm not sure about being accessible all the time. Do you get last minute calls for auditions? DS and I both have regular classes that can be rescheduled but I need notice for that. I do sometimes adjust his routine, but I don't want to drag him all over town at the drop of a hat.

Mmmm I'll have to look into things a little, maybe give it a try and see if it works out for us or not.

Nicci