PDA

View Full Version : Recipes for Butternut Squash?

kedss
11-09-2005, 05:34 PM
I used to know how to cook...LOL:)

what do you do with a whole Butternut Squash? I was thinking I would slice it in half, scrape out the seeds, add some butter and brown sugar and bake it for a while, any ideas how long?

or any other ideas besides soup?

TIA!

cmdunn1972
11-09-2005, 05:45 PM
How about mixing it with goat cheese?

Another idea might be apples or cinnamon. Maybe boil then puree the squash with two tart green apples in a food processor, add cinnamon, put in in a casserole dish with pecan topping and bake it in the oven until it's hot.

stcelia
11-09-2005, 05:49 PM
So funny that you posted this! I am currently cooking one for the first time. It's also probably only the second or third time I've cooked dinner in four years of marriage (yikes!).

I am using this recipe.

http://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,1950,158184-233192,00.html

It's a weird thing to do, since I have never liked squash. But, people keep telling me that butternut squash is different. At least we have pizza delivery here!

I'll let you know what we think.

Mamma2004
11-09-2005, 06:01 PM
Let me preface my response with the confession that I do not *love* butternut squash. It is one of the only veggies that DS loves, though, so I am learning to make numerous variations ;-)

Last week I discovered a recipe that tasted great not only the first night but also the second. I served it the first time with grilled pork chops, roasted potatoes and green beans sauteed with shallots and olive oil. The second time I made a simple pasta (with butter, sage and parmigiano reggiano) followed by chicken Saltimbocca (with prosciutto, sage, white wine), roasted asparagus AND the leftover squash. It was wonderful!

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recipe_views/views/232812

I did let it simmer much longer than the recipe indicates and it turned out beautifully. Enjoy!

Stephanie

kedss
11-09-2005, 06:22 PM
Thank you ladies! They all sound wonderful! I look forward to hearing how yours turns out tonight! I am making the squash with apples since it is the easiest, but I hope to try out the others when I can spend more time!

beckyr88
11-09-2005, 06:35 PM
One more idea is to peel and cube it and roast it in a little butter or oil in a 400 degree oven for 30-40 minutes or so. So sweet and delicious! I LOVE squash!

stcelia
11-09-2005, 06:41 PM
It took an hour and a half for the squash to cook. I like the apples, but I'm still not sure about the squash.

Hope you like it.

kedss
11-09-2005, 08:40 PM
I did like the apples better too, though I liked the squash! :)
thanks again!

MarisaSF
11-09-2005, 09:06 PM
I cubed, mixed with brown sugar, olive oil, and a few spices and cooked at 475 for 20 minutes. I've found several recipes from Cooking Light. Pasta and risotto are my faves.

urquie
11-09-2005, 09:36 PM
Mind-numbingly easy Roasted Butternut Squash

We've had this a few times and love it.
Per Cooking Light October 2004 issue:

- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Coat a non-stick baking pan with cooking spray.
- Arrange 4 cups (1/2 inch) diced butternut squash in a single layer.
- sprinkle with 1/2 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp cinnamon and 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg.
- Coat squash with cooking spray.
- Bake for 10 minutes, turn with spatula and bake an additional 10 minutes or until squash is soft and starts to brown.

This is especially easy to make with the bags of cubed butternut squash that Trader Joe's sells!

dr mom
11-09-2005, 09:40 PM
We fix something very similar to this, but drizzle it with maple syrup instead of cinnamon and nutmeg. Yummy!