PDA

View Full Version : Anyone see Frontline on PBS last night? Abortion related...

nfowife
11-09-2005, 07:19 PM
"The last abortion clinic"....I thought it was really interesting, and also somewhat disheartening how much states can chip away the rights stated in Roe v. Wade due to recent decisions. Doesn't seem like a complete overturn is too far off. I was really amazed how staunch the MS legislators were in wanting to make MS an "abortion free state".
I'm pro-choice, and don't want this to turn into an ugly prochoice/prolife debate, so please keep this civil. Any thoughts on the show, if you saw it?

JulieL
11-09-2005, 07:28 PM
I saw it. I'm prolife, but do respect the right to a person's oppinion. I think this is not a good subject to talk about here -especially it being a parenting forum, as it is a VERY touchy subject, and people feel strongly one way or the other. Also some women may have had an abortion on the board, for whatever reason: medical necessity, personal choice or whatnot, and it may be a hard topic for one to see without warning in the origianl post topic.

Calmegja2
11-09-2005, 08:59 PM
I did see it. I thought it was very, very important, and I wish everyone could see it.

I think wherever you fall on the thoughtline (and I'm prochoice), it showcased some realities that I wasn't aware of, and it gave me a lot to think about.

nfowife
11-09-2005, 09:01 PM
Hi Julie,
Yeah, I knew it would be a touchy subject, just thought it might be an interesting discussion (not prochoice/prolife but more the legislative issues brought up in the documentary). I was wanting to discuss it with someone, but don't really know anyone IRL who saw it, so I thought I'd see here. I'll edit the title in my original post and if no one is interested in discussion, leave it at that. Thanks for the insight!

aliceinwonderland
11-09-2005, 09:25 PM
deleted, not willing to take this on right now, long day :)

kijip
11-09-2005, 09:44 PM
But I would like to! Does anyone have a tape or know if I can order it?

I think the legislative issues here are very serious which is easy to forget living in a big city on the West Coast. I would be happy to discuss this with anyone who is interested. I hesitate to start yet another yahoo group but if you are a BBB mama interested in chatting about politics and how it relates to parenting and especially abortion issues, shoot me a PM and maybe we can get a little email discussion going.

Calmegja2
11-09-2005, 09:55 PM
Here, you can watch online:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/twenty/watch/abortion.html

kath68
11-10-2005, 12:25 AM
According to my Tivo, it is scheduled to be on again -- you might want to check your local PBS station's schedule to see when it will next air.

I saw it, and I thought it was fascinating from a legislative/legal strategy standpoint. I would be interested in talking about it further, since it is an issue that I am deeply conflicted over.

I agree that this is an extremely touchy subject for this board. While I am enthusiastic about talking politics with the brilliant and informed women here, this is one issue that I hesitate to raise or participate in -- it is just too painful, devisive and ultimately unresolveable (IMO).

But the show was great and if you are interested in the politics of abortion it is a must see, esp. since the Supreme Court will be hearing a pivotal case this year.

kijip
11-10-2005, 12:33 AM
>I agree that this is an extremely touchy subject for this
>board. While I am enthusiastic about talking politics with
>the brilliant and informed women here, this is one issue that
>I hesitate to raise or participate in -- it is just too
>painful, devisive and ultimately unresolveable (IMO).

I totally agree.

If there are those on the boards that consider themselves progressives and are interested in talking about politics and parenting issues especially about Supreme Court issues and abortion, there is a private email discussion getting started. If anyone would like to join, send me an email/pm.

aliceinwonderland
11-10-2005, 08:18 AM
I get tired of dicussing things like this here, it has been done many times with predictable results. But on this particular issue, I have come to a new understanding (the theory is not new, just newly adopted by yours truly) that makes me much more at peace with what is to come. My DH is ambivalent about it, so I want to see what other people who start from the same premise (progressive-liberal) think about it.

kijip
11-10-2005, 05:12 PM
to join send a pm and I will invite you. All are welcome that self identify themselves a fit for the group. Clearly this is not a group that everyone would be interested in- we are progressive, liberals but moderates and independants with some liberal leanings are welcome as well.

babymama
11-10-2005, 05:15 PM
Can you PM me the details too? Or post them here?

I TiVo'ed the Frontline show mentioned by the OP. Looking forward to seeing it.

Lydia
Mama to Santiago, born 11/16/03 and
One on the way, due 01/03/06

KBecks
11-10-2005, 08:32 PM
Thanks for offering to take this to Yahoo. I am pro-life and somewhat sensitive to the abortion topic, as I was born and adopted before the legalization of abortion.

ETA: I'm going to check TIVO for the next airing. Frontline is usually a good program.

KBecks
11-11-2005, 07:40 PM
I just watched it and saw at the end there is supposed to be a discussion at PBS.org (I haven't verified yet).

While watching, I was wondering how different pepople viewing would have percieved the different players. This is such a divisive issue, and everyone has their own interests at stake.

I'm going to check out the disucssion at PBS.org to see how they're doing, and if they're managing to keep some peace in the discussion!

KBecks
11-11-2005, 07:46 PM
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/clinic/talk/

The posts look very thoughtful.

Tondi G
11-11-2005, 08:02 PM
I didn't see it but I would like to!

~Tondi

aliceinwonderland
11-12-2005, 12:32 PM
Thanks. Got it and replied :)