PDA

View Full Version : UPDATE: WWYD? Sitter and sick kid

lizamann
11-10-2005, 09:25 AM
Update: the babysitter e-mailed back that she's fine with still doing the job, which you gals predicted. Thanks for all your help!

I have a sitter booked for all day tomorrow, but dd is pretty sick with a cough. My concern is less with dd, who I think will be better by tomorrow and able to cope with drugs, but more with the wonderful sitter whose final exams start in a week. Should I tell her that dd may be contagious and let her decide if she doesn't want the job? It would really suck for her to get sick.

The other thing is that I really can't cancel my engagement tomorrow without disrupting a LOT of people. Is it dishonest not to inform the sitter about dd's illness beforehand?

kedss
11-10-2005, 10:06 AM
I would inform the sitter, especially because of finals next week. I would tell her in any case. As a former sitter, I would probably still babysit, but would appreciate knowing beforehand, and being able to make the decision to sit or not.

just my 2 cents :)

trumansmom
11-10-2005, 10:07 AM
Ooooh. I hate these sort of moral dilemnas. I would call the sitter today and tell her you think DD will be fine, but you wanted to give her a heads up.

I wouldn't use the word "contagious" FWIW. You know she's sick. You don't really *know* she's contagious, KWIM?

Good luck. Dealing with sick kids and babysitters is sooo tricky.

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/01 and Eleanor 4/04
Independent Consultant, Do-Re-Me & You!

brittone2
11-10-2005, 10:11 AM
I agree...I'd be up front. THere's a good chance she'll take the job anyway.

NEVE three BUGS and a BEE
11-10-2005, 10:17 AM
BEth I'd call the ped tell them the stages of the illness and ask if it is contagious at this stage.

Then I would take that answer to the sitter and let her decide.

I am hoping that if in the end of the illness that it is not even contagious.

My parents came down to take care of hubby and myself while we were sick sick sick for the weekend...by the time they got home and pulled up to their door they were both symptomatic with what we had!!!!

Not saying that to worry you but saying we were clearly contagious and they stepped into it, hoping your dd might be over that part. I'd havethe ammo of the DR's thoughts.

I so hope dd is not contagious and you can go about with what you planned!!!!

DebbieJ
11-10-2005, 10:55 AM
I'd give her a call and let her decide.

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03
Breastfed for 20 months and 6 days

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/style_avatars/Ribbons/18months-bfar.jpg

kep
11-10-2005, 11:10 AM
I would definately tell her. One of my biggest pet peaves, (carseat missuse aside), is when someone doesn't tell me that they or their children are sick, and we get unknowingly exposed. This has happened repeatedly with some of my family. I mean, just because I know they are sick doesn't necessarily mean I won't get together with them, but I just would like to make the choice myself, KNIM? :)

Any chance that if she doesn't want to babysit, that you could find a relacement sitter on short notice?

Kelli
Mommy to my beautiful little boy, Luke (April 2003)

"Before you were conceived I wanted you. Before you were born I loved you.
Before you were here an hour I would die for you. This is the miracle of life."
Maureen Hawkins

edited for grammer.