PDA

View Full Version : MOMS international vs. Mothers and More?

knaidel
11-11-2005, 11:08 AM
There are a few different organizations in my area, and I was just wondering about them. Does any have experiences with either of these organizations?
It seems that MOMS INt'l is more of a group to give support/social outlets to SAHMs. The local chapter sent me a newsletter/calendar and it's a lot of play dates, shopping/lunch trips, and just informal get-togethers.

From the website of Mothers and More, it seems like that they have more of a social agenda- having discussions on social security issues for SAHMS, lectures on family finances, etc. Also, one of their membership levels includes a sub. to Brain, Child. I am not really familiar with it, but from the discussions I get the impression it's more of an intellectual publication.

Any thoughts?

nfowife
11-11-2005, 12:07 PM
By Moms international, do you mean Moms Club international? I'm a mom's club member, and it's really more of a social thing. We have playgroups organized by age, various activities each week (craft/story, cooking club, lunch bunch, field trips, etc.- not too involved yet as my dd is so young). There is a meeting once a month with a speaker/discussion topic but it gets crazy with all the kiddos around. It's fun and a good way to meet people.
We don't have a mothers and more nearby so I don't have info on that, though.

MelissaTC
11-11-2005, 02:04 PM
I am active with my local MOMS Club (we are a part of MOMS Club International). Our main objective is to offer Mom to Mom support. It is designed for Moms who are either SAHMs or part time SAHMs. We have playgroups, book club, Spanish playgroup, MOMS Night Out, guest speakers at our business meetings and other opportunities for SAHMs to get together with their children. I really like it. Every club is run a bit differently so it depends on your local chapter.

miki
11-11-2005, 02:37 PM
I'm active with my local Mothers & More chapter. I think the degree to which your chapter is involved in activities other than the typical social/support ones depends upon the preferences of the membership and the women who are leading the chapter. My chapter has the social stuff (playgroups, activities, mom's night out, organizing meals for moms who just had babies, etc.) but we also have a person who is in charge of charitable giving, choosing seasonal charities as well as a longer term project. This year's leaders are organizing a lot of speakers for our meetings. Coming up we're going to have a panel of educators from different types of schools. In the past we've had speakers such as doctors who talk about allergies, behavior issues in children, stress management. The deal with Brain, Child is a new thing that was just announced in the last month. I know of at least one member of M&M in another chapter who is a regular contributor to the magazine. The magazine is great and thought-provoking, not your standard Parenting, Parents, Child sort of magazine. If you are at all interested, go to one of the regular meetings. You'll be able to meet the leaders of the chapter, other members, and get a flavor for the group. HTH

amp
11-11-2005, 02:51 PM
Love, love, love my local MOMS Club for the support and comraderie I get from other SAHM's and PT SAHM's. They don't really discriminate against other moms, but most activities are during the day, to provide support and activities to moms who are home at least part time. So if that's a need you have, they are fantastic!

KBecks
11-11-2005, 07:29 PM
I'd suggest you check out both groups in your local area. Sometimes they have open houses, or if you just call, they can tell you all about what they do and probably invite you to a few activities on a trial basis.

I joined our local MOMS group a few months ago and it has been good. They have monthly meetings, activities for the kids (field trip type outings), a mom's night out, and also playgroups by age.

I was lucky and I'm in a good playgroup that meets weekly. A friend didn't like the playgroup she had (some children played too rough for her w/o parental intervention), but she likes that she gets info. on the good places to go in town with the kids, etc.

As with any club, it kind of depends on how well you connnect with the members. I went to an open house and clicked with a woman who's son is the same age as mine, so that was great. I think that by doing a trial run, you'll get the flavor.

Have fun!