PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone tell me about the mirena?

McQ
11-11-2005, 11:44 PM
I just talked to my OB not 2 weeks ago about BC. I'm interested in the mirena from what I've read up about it but I'm a big chicken when it comes to insertion.

I was going to go back on the pill while I thought about it some more but my OB talked me into trying the patch. But I just read the link that Susan posted (thank you!) so now I need to really think about the mirena.

Who has one and have you had any issues with it? TIA.

Allison
~ mama to Declan and Meghan

McQ
11-11-2005, 11:44 PM
I just talked to my OB not 2 weeks ago about BC. I'm interested in the mirena from what I've read up about it but I'm a big chicken when it comes to insertion.

I was going to go back on the pill while I thought about it some more but my OB talked me into trying the patch. But I just read the link that Susan posted (thank you!) so now I need to really think about the mirena.

Who has one and have you had any issues with it? TIA.

Allison

pritchettzoo
11-11-2005, 11:50 PM
I'm a big chicken too (but not an even bigger chicken ;) ) and the insertion really wasn't bad. It was about the same as a PAP smear, but took a little longer.

Anna
Mama to Gracie (Sept '03) and Eli (July '05)

pritchettzoo
11-11-2005, 11:50 PM
I'm a big chicken too (but not an even bigger chicken ;) ) and the insertion really wasn't bad. It was about the same as a PAP smear, but took a little longer.

Anna
Mama to Gracie (Sept '03) and Eli (July '05)

RwnMayfair
11-12-2005, 12:02 AM
I have one, though only for a few weeks now, and haven't had any big issues with it. Only some spotting, and a few days where I broke out. The breaking out cleared up pretty quickly, and wasn't really all that bad.

And the insertion really wasn't bad at all, but I did have some cramping for the next 24 hours or so. Nothing horrible though. It was pretty easy to have done, and so far totally worth the bit of cramping I had.

-Melissa

Taran, November 20, 2003
Elowen, August 20, 2005

http://lilypie.com/pic/051031/edeJ.jpg http://b2.lilypie.com/jn4Ym4/.png
http://lilypie.com/pic/051031/bvVl.jpg http://b1.lilypie.com/9Ogqm5/.png

RwnMayfair
11-12-2005, 12:02 AM
I have one, though only for a few weeks now, and haven't had any big issues with it. Only some spotting, and a few days where I broke out. The breaking out cleared up pretty quickly, and wasn't really all that bad.

And the insertion really wasn't bad at all, but I did have some cramping for the next 24 hours or so. Nothing horrible though. It was pretty easy to have done, and so far totally worth the bit of cramping I had.

-Melissa

Taran, November 20, 2003
Elowen, August 20, 2005

http://lilypie.com/pic/051031/edeJ.jpg http://b2.lilypie.com/jn4Ym4/.png
http://lilypie.com/pic/051031/bvVl.jpg http://b1.lilypie.com/9Ogqm5/.png

tarahsolazy
11-12-2005, 12:11 AM
Call me a Mirena zealot. I have had two, one for a year before DS was conceived, and another for about 19 months now. I've had no problems, I continue to ovulate, have no periods, and no headaches, like the Pill used to give me. I think its a great form of BC. The insertion is uncomfortable, but only takes a couple of minutes. TMI warning: the most uncomfortable part for me is when the Dr grasps the cervix with an instrument called a tenaculum, it makes me a little sweaty. After about 30 seconds, I'm fine. And its not pain, exactly, it just feels wrong. But, years of no-maintenence BC is worth that 30 seconds, IMO.

tarahsolazy
11-12-2005, 12:11 AM
Call me a Mirena zealot. I have had two, one for a year before DS was conceived, and another for about 19 months now. I've had no problems, I continue to ovulate, have no periods, and no headaches, like the Pill used to give me. I think its a great form of BC. The insertion is uncomfortable, but only takes a couple of minutes. TMI warning: the most uncomfortable part for me is when the Dr grasps the cervix with an instrument called a tenaculum, it makes me a little sweaty. After about 30 seconds, I'm fine. And its not pain, exactly, it just feels wrong. But, years of no-maintenence BC is worth that 30 seconds, IMO.

s7714
11-12-2005, 01:13 AM
I have one and love it so far. I don't think the insertion was uncomfortable at all (not that having a doctor poking around inside you is ever really comfortable though ;) ). I took two Advil before my appointment and prepared myself for the worst (cramping, pain, etc. etc.) Even had my DH "on call" incase I wouldn't be able to drive myself home. The whole time I kept thinking it would start being uncomfortable any second...then my OB said he was done. Probably TMI, but I've had regular pap smears that hurt more than the insertion did. I did have a little cramping a couple hours later, but even that wasn't as bad as even regular menstral cramps.

Jennifer
Mommy to
Annalia 3/03
Sophia 6/05

When raising kids the days are oh so long, but the years are short.--John Leguizamo

mattysmom
11-12-2005, 07:21 AM
Hi Allison,
I got one about 6 weeks ago at 5 months post-partum with DS2. My OB had originally recommended paragard, but after more research on this and other sites, I opted for mirena (and had a different OB insert). As the PP wrote, the insertion isn't fun, but not much worse than a pap. I felt crampy for less than 24 hours, spotted very lightly for a few days and have pretty much forgotten about it since then. I have not gotten a period yet (after recently stopping BFing). I highly recommend it - it seems to be a much better option for me than the minipill/pill.

And, depending on your insurance, you could be saving $$! I just had to pay my regular co-pay for the insertion and a co-pay for the one month follow-up... much better than new pills/patch every month!

HTH!

JLiebCamm
11-12-2005, 07:59 AM
My midwife was really singing the praises of the Mirena. I'm considering one myself.

Karenn
11-12-2005, 01:31 PM
I have one. My periods are much lighter, but I've been plauged with inconsistent spotting for the last year and that's starting to get to me. I also often get cramping with the spotting. I've also wondered if I'm getting PMS with the spotting too, but I can't quite tell. I still get migraines, but not like with the pill. Honestly, I'm thinking of getting rid of it, but I can't decide which is worse: having less intense symptoms for a lot of the month, or more intense symptoms for a week every month.

aliceinwonderland
11-12-2005, 01:35 PM
I have the other IUD (copper one). The insertion, esp. exactly 6 weeks after giving birth, was a non-issue, I promise. And I am about as pain-averse as they come :)

10 years of BC without so much as an afterthought are priceless :)

amp
11-12-2005, 03:53 PM
Allison, if you haven't already, do a search in the lounge, because I know I asked about it at one point and the only reason I even asked was because my interest was piqued by previous posts about it, so I know there's more info out there besides the responses here.

That said, while I'm considering this as a form of BC after the baby is born, I am still waaaaaay chicken about the long term safety of either the copper iud or the mirena. I cannot, and I mean, can NOT get past the problematic and deadly history of the previous iud. Am I the only one afraid of that!? DH has the same worries and is reluctant to encourage me on this one!

hobey
11-12-2005, 05:44 PM
I just got mine inserted last Thursday and it wasn't too bad. A long minute of discomfort and I had some cramping for about 24 hrs afterwards but nothing a bit of ibuprofen couldn't handle.

We haven't *tested* it out yet but from the research I've done and talking at length w/ my Dr., we probably won't realize it's there. :)

Raquel
Nathan's Mom 12/19/03

Sillygirl
11-12-2005, 05:53 PM
Andrea, you probably already know this, but let me share what the problem was with the infamous "Dalkon shield" in case others are reading this thread and don't know.

IUDs are attached to a tiny thread that passes through the cervix and hangs in the vagina. You're supposed to reach in and feel it each month to make sure it's still in place. The thread makes the IUD a lot easier to remove when it's time.

The Dalkon shield thread was made of braided microfilament, not a single thread. The braid therefore had tiny little grooves running its length. This created a pathway for bacteria to travel from the vagina up into the uterus, which made PID, pelvic inflammatory disease, an infection of the uterine lining and fallopian tubes, much more common than it should have been. Today's IUD's do not have a braided thread.

The IUDs on the market today, to my understanding, have been used for years in Europe and have very good safety records. I am much more a fan of old, tried and true remedies rather than the latest thing on the market - witness the recent problems coming to light with the BC patch.

Of course, none of this is a substitute for the advice of your physician or widwife.

s7714
11-12-2005, 06:47 PM
After hearing the rave reviews of IUDs from my two European colleges at my old work, I was pretty confident that it was something I'd be interested in after having DCs myself. Like Katie said, the ones on the market in the US today have been used in Europe for a while now. I tend to steer clear of the newer BC methods myself too. If the IUD didn't have such a reliable track record in Europe, I never would have considered it.

Jennifer
Mommy to
Annalia 3/03
Sophia 6/05

When raising kids the days are oh so long, but the years are short.--John Leguizamo

loewymartin
11-12-2005, 09:32 PM
After hearing about it here and from friends, and doing my own research, I had a Mirena inserted 8 weeks after Kira was born. At my 6 week appointment my cervix was still open. At my 8 week insertion appointment my cervix had closed :-( I was expecting something like my normal PAP smear poking. But since he had to open my cervix to insert it, it hurt me more than I expected. The pain lasted a moment and then was over. I had taken 2 Tylenol prior and the OB gave me Advil to take once he was done. I was light headed after sitting up, and they said that is very common. I walked out minutes later for some "retail therapy" and walked around the mall without any issues. I continued to take Advil that day and had minor cramping.

I had it inserted 9/28 - so we're over a month into it. I'm still spotting daily. I haven't had any cramping since that first day. My OB said to check for the threads each month. He left them a little long because he said the "poking" for husbands is often when the threads are cut too short. My DH said he hasn't felt a thing.

I'm looking forward to not spotting. I have an allergy to the plastic in panty liners, so washing my mamacloth liners is getting old! But I'll be happy with not worrying about birth control for 5 years!

Oh, and my insurance wouldn't pay for the Mirena if I had it inserted at my normal 6 week postpartum visit, hence the insertion at 8 weeks. I had to pay the normal co-pay for an extra OB visit as well as another $30 charge that insurance didn't cover. But, paying $50 for 5 years of bc is peanuts compared to what I was paying for bcp!

If you have any questions please PM me.

Michelle
Mom to Alia born 5/16/02 and Kira born 7/30/05

kboyle
11-12-2005, 09:57 PM
It's so good to hear such positive things about this, minus the cramping & spotting I can't wait to call my midwife on Mon to discuss this more.

McQ
11-14-2005, 08:45 AM
That's exactly what my OB told me about the Dalkon Shield and the problem with the string. It is good to know that this is a tried and true product that's been around for a while. My issue is more that I'm uncomfortable just thinking about it. I've clinched all up just reading this thread. Forget the advil, I'll need some xanax!

Allison

muskiesusan
11-14-2005, 10:23 AM
Just so you know, I am a big chicken about it as well! I have been on the fence about bc for 18 months now and I still can't make up my mind! I am leaning towards mirena, but am wary of insertion and having a foreign object in my body! I just can't come up with a better option.

I try to avoid the topic all together, but DH is on my case!

Susan
Mom to Nick 10/01
& Alex 04/04