PDA

View Full Version : What I like about you

himom
11-12-2005, 06:34 AM
A tribute to Rachel...

You're the information queen! For the three years I've been reading this board I've learned so much about breastfeeding, co-sleeping, VBAC, C-sections, epidurals, birthing centers, midwives, home births, product recalls, and a couple more things I can't think of because of the many informational posts and links you were kind enough to share. I'm the type of person who reads everything I can get my hands on before I make decisions, and without your help I wouldn't have found it so easy to get critical info just when I needed it. I LOVE when people post information here.

You tell it like it is! With anything political it seems that you and I are polar opposites. But whenever something controversial comes up you always have a clear explanation of what you think, backed up by the reasons you think it. And you are never rude, and never make ad hominem attacks. I don't think I've ever seen you jump to crazy conclusions either. This makes you a great contributor to any touchy subject.

Abigail. You're a constant in the lounge for as far back as I can remember. Since you're "ahead" of me with Abigail I have loved watching her growing, getting prettier all the time, and hearing how the way you are parenting changes as she does.

Ethan. I'm so happy you have been given this amazing little boy as an addition to your family!

I love that you are super-mama without acting like super-mama. I don't know exactly how many women on the board look up to you and hold your opinion on parenting issues in high esteem, but I know there are a good many and I am one of them. Yet you aren't obnoxious or prideful, and never have I heard you say that the way you do things is the only way to do things.

You posted Ethan's birth story and pictures! That was amazing to me to get to see such an incredible moment in your lives. I admit a home birth would terrify me but I'd really lean toward it if I thought I could do it the way you did.

You love your kids. I really enjoy being around other Moms who so obviously love their kids. It makes for so many warm-fuzzies. I thought it was so sweet that your referred to your boy as your "newest beloved."

You were a good moderator. Yes, things got sticky once in a while. But I moderated for years and I learned that the only way to always lock, delete, or suspend the exact same way everytime is to have it done automatically by a computer program. When humans do it, their lives get in the way. Thank you for doing it for as long as you did. As you can see from my smaller number of posts, I only post once or twice a week due to time constraints and I can't imagine what it was like for you with two kids reading and responding to so much!

You're smart! I did go and pick up the book you contributed to, just so I could see your name in the back. =)

Okay, that's all I can think of right now but it's 1:30 am and time for bed. I just wanted to tell you that I think you're great and I know tons of other people do too. From what I see you're an amazing Mom and an active advocate for women and babies, and I'm so glad I've been able to learn so much from you the past three years. And I'm so sorry you've been stressed out by the boards at this time in your life when you should be able to relax, get your hormones back where they belong, and be with your family.

So have lots of fun with all the "extra" time you have to spend with your babies, and be happy!

Jodi

ETA namae.

trumansmom
11-12-2005, 09:44 AM
:)

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/01 and Eleanor 4/04
Independent Consultant, Do-Re-Me & You!

parkersmama
11-12-2005, 10:09 AM
Amen, sister! Very well said.

Many hugs, Rachel.

nohomama
11-12-2005, 10:11 AM
Rock on!

mudder17
11-12-2005, 10:30 AM
Ditto on everything, plus I appreciate all the time you took to answer my e-mails and help me make some decisions about herbal supplements. I appreciate your generosity of time and your amazing heart. I appreciate that even if you've drastically cut down on the amount of sharing, to me you've shared some truly amazing moments in your life (your amazing birth story for one) that have been sources of inspiration to me.

I look forward to hearing more about your babies as they grow up to be who they were meant to be. :)

lovingly,

Eileen

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif for Leah
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/catcatcvi20040222_4_Kaya+is.png
Kaya's a cousin! 10/1/05, 5lb13oz

Vajrastorm
11-12-2005, 10:32 AM
*claps*

bostonsmama
11-12-2005, 10:50 AM
My life's motto is that the unexamined life is not worth living. So, thank you for all the research you've done and presented that has helped me form oh-so-many of the opinions I now hold, especially about BF and AP, something I swear I never would have considered if it weren't for you. I probably would have done something like BabyWise if left to my own parenting devices, so my future child thanks you, too! I really appreciate the time you took to moderate these boards. Glad you're sticking around.

Larissa

mommyj_2
11-12-2005, 11:32 AM
ITA
I also wanted to add that your compassion, empathy, and love for people is a rare gift. You have been a gentle, supportive presence for so many moms here. You have given the gifts of your time and wisdom. I know I am a more thoughtful and therefore a better mother from reading your posts.
Thank you for everything.
Much love to you.

tarabenet
11-12-2005, 11:47 AM
Me too! Me too!

I can't think of anything to add. Everyone else said it so beautifully. But I truly admire you and deeply appreciate the things I've learned from your posts. I also admire your ability to stand up stronlgy for what you believe in. And I can't think of a single time when I felt you attacked anyone else to stand up for your beliefs. How do you do it?

Thank you.

Benet

Andrea S
11-12-2005, 12:33 PM
Well said!! I agree 100%.

Andrea
mom to Andrew 8/14/02
& #2 EDD 3/28/06

kimbe
11-12-2005, 02:25 PM
A few posts ago, I was worried that I was spoiling DD. To paraphrase in a nutshell, Rachel told me how she honored what Abigail wanted and needed and she was happy with the results. She told me to hold DD when she needed it and to always trust my instincts. That one little post gets me through almost everyday!

Thank you Rachel for all the wonderful advice that you have given me, a crazy new mom that you don't even know! I think about what you have said to me all the time.

Thank you!

brittone2
11-12-2005, 03:17 PM
***Thunderous applause ***

Seriously Rachel-you were my introduction to the concept of attachment parenting before DS was even born. You opened that door for me, and I'm forever grateful as it has forever changed my family in a positive way.

I've always found you to be gracious, thoughtful, supportive, caring, and a wonderful resource for so many people on this board.

Ditto all of the above, I can't add much more, but you've touched many lives here for the better.

hellosmiletoday
11-12-2005, 11:49 PM
Thanks for your advice!

tina-t
11-12-2005, 11:57 PM
Well said! I don't have much to add but I just wanted to thank you for all the help that you have given us.

Judegirl
11-13-2005, 12:44 AM
- You *think* about your reasons for your positions and your actions. You think well and you think hard. :)

- You are level-headed and reasonable even when you are passionate.

- You are passionate.

- You are confident and honest, enough to know when you are feeling less than confident or honest.

- You are raising a daughter, which means there is a girl who is learning what it can - and I would argue should - mean to be a woman. And forgive me for repeating...you *think* about this! I can think of few contributions to the world that are of more significance than this.

- Except, perhaps, to be raising a son and teaching him the same. :)

Rachel, you are smart and generous and kind and you have... guts. (That wasn't my first word of choice. ;) ) It's rare to find those all in the same person. Your resignation as moderator is a significant loss for the BBB, but we are much more fortunate to have you remain with us. Thanks for sticking around.

Warmly,
Jude

trumansmom
11-13-2005, 12:49 AM
Thanks.

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/01 and Eleanor 4/04
Independent Consultant, Do-Re-Me & You!

jerseygirl07067
11-13-2005, 12:51 AM
I too have really enjoyed your presence on the boards. You are a wealth of knowledge. :)

Marcy

mommyj_2
11-13-2005, 01:22 AM
>- You *think* about your reasons for your positions and your
>actions. You think well and you think hard. :)
>
>- You are level-headed and reasonable even when you are
>passionate.
>
>- You are passionate.
>
>- You are confident and honest, enough to know when you are
>feeling less than confident or honest.
>
>- You are raising a daughter, which means there is a girl who
>is learning what it can - and I would argue should - mean to
>be a woman. And forgive me for repeating...you *think* about
>this! I can think of few contributions to the world that are
>of more significance than this.
>
>- Except, perhaps, to be raising a son and teaching him the
>same. :)
>
>Rachel, you are smart and generous and kind and you have...
>guts. (That wasn't my first word of choice. ;) ) It's rare to
>find those all in the same person. Your resignation as
>moderator is a significant loss for the BBB, but we are much
>more fortunate to have you remain with us. Thanks for
>sticking around.
>
>Warmly,
>Jude

Beautifully said. ITA :)
>

mudder17
11-13-2005, 01:48 AM
Wow. That's it exactly!

Eileen

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif for Leah
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/catcatcvi20040222_4_Kaya+is.png
Kaya's a cousin! 10/1/05, 5lb13oz

caheinz
11-13-2005, 02:00 AM
Well said Jude, and OP.

Thanks for all of your hard work, Rachel. Now go enjoy your larger family!

chlobo
11-13-2005, 07:33 AM
ITA with what others have said. You are an amazing woman and an amazing mom.