PDA

View Full Version : Decluttering...need inspiration!

JLiebCamm
11-12-2005, 11:50 AM
I woke up this morning with the goal of decreasing the number of things that I have in multiples as I believe this will help me to cut down on clutter. So now I stand in front of my 12+ tablecloths, 60+ cloth napkins, 30+ dishtowels, etc., and can't seem to eliminate anything! I often read the decluttering mantra of keeping only what you love, but what do you do if you love everything??? If you're good at this kind of stuff, please give me words of wisdom.

jec2
11-12-2005, 11:59 AM
Jessica, I need help too. I woke up to what looks like the remnants of a tornado and asked dh how can we get FEMA assistance, lol. My problem is the inability I have to TOSS things. I just worry that I will need X, Y or Z down the road.

HGraceMom
11-12-2005, 12:04 PM
You can do it! Once you get started throwing things out (or sorting them to donate / sell) it really does become addictive... The hard part is eliminating things you love, but don't use. Be critical & start with something easy, maybe the dishtowels... Inspect for fraying, small holes, stretching, fading... pretend you're at a yard sale. If it's not perfect, you wouldn't buy it...

Good luck & sending decluttering vibes your way!!!

stella
11-12-2005, 12:27 PM
Maybe if you love all of your linens, it would be easier for you to start with something you hate - like in my case stuffed animals.

I don't care if I never see another one and I think that today I will donate some to our child advocacy center.

Thanks for being MY inspiration! We can check in at the end of teh day and compare notes on how we've done!

kijip
11-12-2005, 12:29 PM
Be brutal. Very brutal. Get a heartless, cold friend who cares nothing about your belongings' history to egg you on. Once you have done it for an hour you will either never do it again or you will never stop!

Good luck!

new_mommy25
11-12-2005, 01:02 PM
I have that same problem. I need to call in the Clean Sweep team or somthing.

thomma
11-12-2005, 01:33 PM
Hey! I'm decluttering today too. Well, I was, until I took this break. :)

I've gone through 4 kitchen cabinets and thrown away a bag full of stuff. Usually I have a tough time getting rid of stuff but I'm pmsing and it hasn't been hard at all! :)

I think having someone else, who is not attached to said items, help you is a good idea.

good luck-
Kim
t&e 5/03

Marisa6826
11-12-2005, 02:16 PM
>Be brutal. Very brutal. Get a heartless, cold friend who
>cares nothing about your belonging's history to egg you on.

Or your MIL ;) :P

-m

jk3
11-12-2005, 02:47 PM
If you love all of it, keep only what you actually use. If items are are sitting in your closet, toss them. It's hard to do but I always feel better when I reclaim some space.

Jenn
DS 6/3/03

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030603/2/5/1/-5/.png

m448
11-12-2005, 03:08 PM
I'd read a ton of decluttering/make-homekeeping-easier books that did nothing to change my frame of mind until I read "Organizing From The Inside Out" by Julie Morgenstern (you can google for her site/forums too).

To declutter not only do you have to love something but will you be using it NOW (or the next occasion for which you'd use the linens). Also, do you have space for it? It's not just a matter of loving things because even having a house cluttered full of loved items is enough to make me dizzy after finally decluttering.

Then when you're buying something new, ask yourself if you have the space for it and if you have to toss/donate the item you're replacing with the newly purchased item. It's a constant process and I love the AmVets organization because I can just call them up when I have a box or bag of stuff ready and they'll pick it up from the front porch.

almostamom
11-12-2005, 04:27 PM
I did this with our linen closet last week. My strategy: get rid of everything DH owned/picked out when he was single. ;)

Seriously, I love doing this kind of stuff (give me a closet and a label-maker and I'm in heaven!) - I did our master closet last weekend and we donated 8 bags of clothes. If it doesn't have sentimental meaning or you haven't used it in the past two years, it's gone. Put it in the bag and don't look back. I have a tablecloth that my Nana gave me. It's got some stains and I may never use it again, but because she gave it to me, I'll never get rid of it. The blue snowflake one that I never used but thought was so cute - it's out of here!

Good luck,
~Linda~
DS 11/9/04

kijip
11-12-2005, 04:31 PM
LOL Marisa.

My MIL is a clutter queen...tons of nic-nacs, lots of junk, tons of "collections" on display! My mother is the same. I think I am the opposite as a rebellion!

kellyotn
11-12-2005, 04:34 PM
Ask yourself if you'd BUY the item now. Or, if you'd pay a low-ball garage sale price to KEEP it. If the answer is no toss it and don't look back.

I hate getting rid of stuff too, but love it once its gone. I can honestly say I've never, ever donated anything and later missed it. And, my rule is, if I do miss something, I'm allowed to go out and replace it. Still, it hasn't happened.

:-)

kath68
11-12-2005, 04:42 PM
I am the worst at this, so shouldn't be giving advice, but:

Two trite sayings from my mom help:
"If in doubt through it out"
"If you haven't used it in a year, free it for someone who will"

As for the specific items you listed, I will be your brutal friend to help you out:

You only get to keep 5 table cloths (two every day ones, two special occasion, and one sentimental fav/wildcard). Sorry, but the rest have to go.

Three sets of cloth napkins should do the trick.

Dishtowels, well, ten is plenty (one new one every day of the week and a couple spares).

This is hard to do, but it is incredibly freeing to liberate yourself from clutter and your clutter from you. It's not enough to keep what you love. Keep what you need. Good luck!

RwnMayfair
11-12-2005, 06:10 PM
We need help with this too. Most of the "mess" in our house is clutter. Now granted, "Clean Sweep" always makes me feel better about our house whenever I've caught that show, since ours isn't as bad as those. ;)

I do really need to work on it though, as the clutter drives me batty sometimes. Wish I had some good tips to offer! So far, the only thing that's really ever helped us in cutting down on the clutter is when we've moved.

-Melissa

Taran, November 20, 2003
Elowen, August 20, 2005

http://lilypie.com/pic/051031/edeJ.jpg http://b2.lilypie.com/jn4Ym4/.png
http://lilypie.com/pic/051031/bvVl.jpg http://b1.lilypie.com/9Ogqm5/.png

JLiebCamm
11-12-2005, 09:48 PM
Thanks for being my brutal friend. But I need both kitchen and dining room tablecloths. Doesn't that mean that I can have a few more ;) ?

JLiebCamm
11-12-2005, 09:49 PM
I have this book....maybe I should reread it!

tina-t
11-12-2005, 11:33 PM
We just did some decluttering today and we just donated 3 big boxes and 4 garbage bags full of stuff! I agree with being brutal. Also, if I have not used it in the past 2 years, then it is out!

It is hard to pick and choose which to give/throw away specially if something has an emotional value to you. However, it opens up so much space in your home and your life and it really makes me feel "lighter".

tarabenet
11-12-2005, 11:47 PM
I totally suck at letting stuff go. But when I get on a spree of clean-out, I remember when a dear friend helped me sort, pack, and move. Every item I was wishy-washy about she said "You know, I was at Goodwill last week, and there was a lady looking for one exactly like this. She really needed it." No matter what it was, she used that speech. It really helped me free it up for someone else to use, as a PP said. Maybe on my next clean-up tear I'll ask myself if I need it more that the Hurricane Katrina survivors need it.

Benet

mommy_someday
11-13-2005, 12:10 AM
I have a really hard time with this because I have lots of stuff that has sentimental value and lots of other stuff that I'm afraid I'll *need* as soon as I get rid of it. When I discovered Freecycle, I've gotten better about it. I was so excited to do my first post there, that I ran around the house looking for stuff to give away. It made it so much more fun that way (but I'm strange, so it might not do the same for you, lol!). Anyway, it might be worth checking out.

www.freecycle.org

Good luck and sending you lots of good decluttering vibes!

HannaAddict
11-13-2005, 12:19 AM
Okay, call me an enabler or what you will, but I think nice table linens, nice cloth napkins, etc. (if you REALLY like them) may be eligible for an exemption to the decluttering rules. I love table linens though. And I have the Organizing from Inside Out on top of my dresser and have for months. I also think I am going to need something, lots of paperwork, etc. I need an admin assistant and archive facility for my home life!

If you discover the secret to decluttering, let me know!

Kimberly

Marisa6826
11-13-2005, 03:15 AM
I *used* to be like that before I had kids. ;)

One more reason you need to get on that plane, Girlie! I have TONS of stuff for you to do here! :P

-m

JLiebCamm
11-13-2005, 10:12 AM
I'm involved with my local group and it is lousy! For every one post of someone giving something away I think there are three "in search of" posts with stories like, "Money is really tight and I really could use a laptop computer...anyone have one that they don't need?"

I'm very into donating stuff when people are in need but get bad vibes from some of these requests.

kensjen
11-13-2005, 11:50 AM
Decluttering...this is what I am doing today! DH actually did it for his stuff the last few weekends, and now it is my turn. I am amazed at what a great job he did, so now I feel pressure.

I have lots of attachments to things, as well, and I hate that I am like that. Right now baby clothes is hard for me. Maybe I am sentimental due to the hormones right now, I don't know, but I can't get rid of any of Jonah's cute baby clothes. And I have way too many!!

I also know that it feels good to do it, and once it is gone I will be happy and not regret it. It's just hard to throw stuff into the box! I'll have to keep an eye on this thread! :)

jd11365
11-13-2005, 12:09 PM
I'm a pack-rat. It's so hard for me to part with things...I just end up rearranging them instead of donating like I should. Flylady was a little helpful though...I wish I could keep up with it.