PDA

View Full Version : need good hand cream

Lynnie
11-14-2005, 10:16 PM
I recall posts about face cleansers and other stuff, but don't recall one on a good hand cream. As I sit here typing, I am looking at my hands, and they look all old and wrinkly. I obviously am not using the correct dish soap (I remember an ad from when i was a kid about which hands were the mothers and which were the daughters... mine look like grandmas) and I am very low maintenance skin care wise, and I think it is catching up to me. big time. The skin is loose and kinda wrinkly, and thin. sounds lovely, doesn't it? ;( Does anyone have any recommendations for anything you swear buy for hands ?? If its pricey I will request it as a holiday gift.

Thanks in advance !

icunurse
11-14-2005, 10:31 PM
Two things I'm loving right now: Burt's Bee's Hand Care Kit (great moisturizers and gloves for overnight) and Nivea Skin Firming Cream (just received a sample and it makes my dry hands SO soft).
Traci
~Connor's Mom 02/2004~
Agency paperwork completed - waiting for #2!

murpheyblue
11-14-2005, 10:47 PM
The best hand cream in the world bar none is L'Occitane Hand Cream. It's got 20% shea butter. I found this product about 8 years ago in a little boutique in Mendecino and the saleswoman told me people call from all over the country to order it. Now, thankfully I can get in my local store. Sephora sells it too.

http://usa.loccitane.com/product/product.asp?product=01MA150KA&variant=&=

JenfromWI
11-15-2005, 07:48 AM
Another vote for Burt's Bees... I just bought the almond milk beeswax hand cream and love it.

cuca_
11-15-2005, 08:21 AM
Another vote for L'Occitane hand cream.

Carmen
DD May 2003
DD May 2005

cbm
11-15-2005, 08:43 AM
I was going to say the same, although I have never used it.

If you don't want to spend an arm and a leg try Neutrogena hand cream. It works great.

Claudia

DS 12/18/04

cleo27
11-15-2005, 09:25 AM
Ooh, that sounds so luxurious! I think there's currently a coupon code for Sephora over on the Bargains board... ;)

ddmarsh
11-15-2005, 09:36 AM
I started using the L'Occitane after reading about it here and it is truly amazing. I buy the smaller tubes that are sold in 3's and keep one upstairs, one down, and one in my purse. I don't recall it being terribly expensive, maybe $24 or so for the 3?

zuzu
11-15-2005, 09:58 AM
Another L'Occitane fan here. Their foot cream and scrub are good splurges, too.

I hadn't seen the smaller tubes - will have to look for those in their store. Thanks, Debbie.

Melissa, mom to Sarah (5/03)

Momof3Labs
11-15-2005, 10:12 AM
Avon Moisture Therapy Intensive Hand Cream. It isn't greasy, and has no fragrance added. Nice and thick for super-dry hands. I swear by the stuff, and it's cheap to boot (I'm not big on Avon products otherwise). I've tried L'Occitane but didn't like the smell or the greasiness, but YMMV.

Jack's Beanstalk (WAHM) makes a very nice shea butter handcream too that is my second choice to the Avon stuff. The Avon is just more consistent, so I stick with it.

karolyp
11-15-2005, 11:22 AM
Another vote for the Avon cream. I really like it as well

Also, I like the Mary Kay Satin Hands collection. It makes my hands feel soooo soft!

BTW...I love these kinds of threads, thanks for starting it. It's so nice to see all the opinions and I've gotten some great tips too! I just wish I could get everything that everyone recommends!!

kep
11-15-2005, 11:41 AM
I have been totally into this lately:

Bath & Body Works * True Blue Spa * Look Ma, New Hands * Renewing Hand Lotion

It works like a dream, even for my usually cracked and bleeding dry-skin, winter hands. :) It's a little spendy, but you only need a tiny dab.

Kelli
Mommy to my beautiful little boy, Luke (April 2003)

"Before you were conceived I wanted you. Before you were born I loved you.
Before you were here an hour I would die for you. This is the miracle of life."
Maureen Hawkins

proggoddess
11-15-2005, 02:53 PM
I'm a big fan of Mario Badescu's hand cream. Oh, man, my hands are smooth and the cream is like buttah! Not too watery like lotion, not too thick like petroleum jelly. Smells great, too! Light and floral. It's a little expensive, but maybe the same price as L'Occitane. Try mariobadescu.com. They also include lots of samples if you send in your skin type/profile.

On the cheap, a tube of A & D original ointment does the trick for when my hands are cracked and awful during the winter months. Greasy as all heck, but just go to bed with it on and in the morning, the cracks are gone! The smell takes me back to my childhood, too. Guess my mom used it on me and my sister when we were still in diapers.

TaChapm
11-15-2005, 03:14 PM
I also LOVE the Mary Kay Satin Hands. It is something I would have never bought for myself if I didn't sell Mary Kay but now I can't get enough of it! We do a demo where we only let our customers do one hand and almost everyone buys it. You can see and feel such a difference!

I was also a big fan of Crabtree and Evelyn Gardners Hand Therapy before Mary Kay. One year I gave it to every woman on my Christmas list.

Tara
Mommy to Jackson 11-10-02
Tyler William 6-9-05
http://lilypie.com/baby3/021110/0/2/1/-6/.png

http://lilypie.com/baby1/060609/3/0/1/-6/.png

elliput
11-15-2005, 03:26 PM
My sister sent me a tube of the Look Ma, New Hands. I loved it! I also really like the Bath & Body Works Hand Repair Healing Hand Cream. Both items are Shea butter based.

lmariana
11-15-2005, 03:47 PM
Yup! I totally agree, L'Occitane has THE best hand creme, period. I am a hand-washing fiend, so I'm always moisturizing. I have the three mini tubes and keep one in my bedroom, one in my kitchen, and one in my car. LOVE them!

Mariana
www.heinzandmariana.com

http://b3.lilypie.com/PVjPm4/.png

http://b1.lilypie.com/IHJGm4/.png

BBB Knit Club
http://s14.invisionfree.com/BBB_Knitters

SummerBaby
11-15-2005, 04:07 PM
I love L'occitane too. But if you want to go cheap(er), try Aveeno Intense Relief Hand Cream. I like it because it's non-greasy and seems to last even after washing my hands.

Val
Mom to Madeline
7/28/04

turtledove
11-15-2005, 04:23 PM
There is also a 25% coupon for the "L'Occitane Friends and Family weekend" this upcoming weekend listed under Bargains too!

cuca_
11-15-2005, 05:08 PM
By the way, if you decide to purchase the creme from L'Occitane, someone just posted a coupon in the Bargains Alert forum for 25% during their friends and family sale.

Carmen
DD May 2003
DD May 2005

daisyandacorn
11-15-2005, 07:02 PM
I'm not a big fan of hand cream during the day - it always feels greasy to me. I like to use L'Occitane shea butter (pure, in the tin) on my hands before bed. I wake up and they're soft and smooth.
HTH!
Susan

octmom
11-15-2005, 07:42 PM
I used that on my belly when I was pregnant with DS. Thanks for the reminder to pick up some!

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03
expecting #2! EDD April 1, 2006, but anticipating a C/S in March

"Baby makes days shorter, nights longer, home happier, and love stronger."

Katia
11-15-2005, 08:29 PM
Here's a drugstore option for you: Curel. It's expensive for the drugstore, but a lot cheaper than the department store varieties. I use it every day for hands and body. When my hands get super chapped in the winter, I use Neutrogena's Norwegian Formula Hand Cream. I find it too heavy to use every time I put lotion on, but once a day, it is amazing and perfect.

Katia
DS 2003

lizamann
11-15-2005, 11:34 PM
Wait - you use lotion more than once a day?!? I don't know the last time my hands saw ANY. I'm such a beauty products loser. At least my hands are fine, though. It's my elbows that need work!

justlearning
11-16-2005, 12:01 AM
I liked reading all the suggestions in this thread. My suggestion probably doesn't apply to your problem of the skin being "loose and wrinkly," but I thought I'd mention this in case moms who have really cracked, dry hands want to try it...

I wash my hands many, many times each day and rarely apply hand cream during the day. As a result, I have always tended to have really cracked, dry hands in the winter time--to the point where my skin actually breaks open and bleeds. I've tried many different hand cream products, including some mentioned in this thread (Neutrogena, ones with shea butter, etc.). However, I accidentally came across something that happens to work really well and now it's what I use every night and my hands haven't been cracking at all now.

What I've been using is "Foot Works" Double Action Intensive Callus Cream by Avon. Yep...believe it or not, using foot cream on my hands has been wonderful! There have been a few times when I've gone without using it for a couple of nights and my hands have gotten chapped. The morning after I apply it, though, they're healed. Just thought I'd mention this in case anyone wants to try it. :)

lisams
11-16-2005, 12:25 AM
I also bought it last year after reading here that people love it. They were right, it is great! A little goes a long way, I still have my tube from last year. When I went to buy it, the saleswoman said they always have people who work in the hosptial over buying it (all the hand washing I'm assuming).

Lynnie
11-16-2005, 09:19 AM
WOW !! Thanks everybody ! I am going a shopping, and have a holiday gift for my wish list too !!

karolyp
11-16-2005, 11:27 AM
Everyone here seems to agree that they love this stuff and so now I HAVE to have it!!!

The closest L'Occitance store to me is in the airport (which is only about 5 minutes away), but I'll have to pay for parking...ackkk!! But oh well, I've gotta get it!!!!