PDA

View Full Version : I love this OB

Radosti
11-18-2005, 08:18 AM
OK, I go to a group OB/GYN practice, so see a different doctor every time because they rotate hospital duty and it's important that I know any doctor that might end up delivering me.

This one OB there is the nicest person ever. I saw him once before and he took the time to answer every question without making me feel like I am being rushed out of there. I have been swelling like crazy for a while now. All the other doctors just said, "Deal with it, you are in the third trimester." or "Get compression socks." Well, the socks hurt.

I also ended up at the hospital about a week and a half ago due to dehydration, so was told to drink even more water than I have been. The baby has dropped into position, so is no longer on my lungs, but my breathing is still very labored and I am very puffy on a daily basis. In one week, I have gained 7 lbs of fluid. It's everywhere, in my hands, feet, face. My feet haven't been a size 8 in a long time, but now even the size 9 Wide shoes don't fit.

Anyway, yesterday, I went back to see the super nice OB doctor. He looked at me, squeezed my ankles and wrists and asked me about headaches. I said that I had a pounding headache all day yesterday. He asked me if I've cut out all caffeine. I told him that I did due to the dehydration episode. He took another look and said that the dehydration episode was also fueled by me lifting boxes and such stuff at work. He wanted me to drink small amounts of caffeine every day to help with the swelling and the headaches.

On the way home, I stopped and got one of my treasured (but until now rejected) Dunkin Donuts coffees. I savored it all the way home and within 10 minutes realized that my headache was gone completely. I spent the rest of the evening running to the bathroom as my kidneys were finally doing what they were supposed to and clearing the fluid from my system. I felt like a million bucks and got so much done around the house. And, this morning, my face doesn't look like a swollen pancake, but more like my old self. Yeah for that doctor!!! Who knew that something so small and simple could make me feel so much better????

hez
11-18-2005, 08:22 AM
Oh gosh-- caffeine withdrawal on top of your third trimester yucks? I'm so sorry you're going through that! I've done the cold-turkey thing with caffeine NOT pregnant, and it is not pleasant even then (horrible headaches!). I'm so glad the simple fix worked for you-- enjoy your caffeine breaks!

juliasmom05
11-18-2005, 08:34 AM
I'm so glad you are feeling better. Enjoy your coffee :D.

Marci

Mom to Julia 4/05

mama2galpals
11-18-2005, 08:45 AM
don't you just LOVE when your ob goes above and beyond to listen to your concerns and come up with this simple suggestion that works (instead of rushing through to get to the next exam room!). i'm so glad you found him!

btw i know how you feel a little bit. i just loved my first OB so much by the end i was referring to him to my friends as "my saul" LOL. later during delivery at one point he was rooting around in my bag for lollipops and snacks. oh and he saved me from a c section at the last moment. gotta love drs like that. :)

rita
mommy to
olivia '97
stella '00
emma '03

the truth can hurt your feelings, but lies can break your heart.

http://lilypie.com/baby3/030123/3/4/1/+10/.png

Radosti
11-18-2005, 09:15 AM
It's just going to be my luck that he won't end up being the doctor who delivers me.

He's so nice. He even told me he loves the fact that we picked the name Aaron because that's what his son's name is :)

mama2galpals
11-18-2005, 09:21 AM
oh i'm loving him 2. :)

btw for dd1 "my saul" was by himself but i worried for hours on end about which in the practice would deliver me for dds two and three. in the end the dr i hadn't known as well was excellent for stella. then i got another one for emma and she was equally great.

a tip i just remembered: the nurse told me that toward the end when you think you can deliver that week (if not scheduled) you can find out which days the dr you want is on so you can kind of know beforehand who it'll be. i liked that in a way cause then i knew who would deliver me when i went into labor that weekend.

rita
mommy to
olivia '97
stella '00
emma '03

the truth can hurt your feelings, but lies can break your heart.

http://lilypie.com/baby3/030123/3/4/1/+10/.png

karolyp
11-18-2005, 09:58 AM
Yeah...I did that too. The nurse handed me a calendar with all the doctor's schedules and it was nice to know who would be there. And there was this doctor there that myself and 2 other prego friends were avoiding...so that came in real helpful!

Radosti
11-18-2005, 10:18 AM
There is only one doctor there who I'd like to avoid, but a neighbor of mine said that he delivered her second son and he was excellent. So, I probably shouldn't worry.

tina-t
11-18-2005, 05:43 PM
Geez, I am glad that this OB listened to you! Glad to know that you are feeling better too.