PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a great recipe for spiced nuts?

JenfromWI
11-18-2005, 09:36 AM
I've been searching online for awhile now, and a lot of the recipes I found get mixed ratings. I want to make these for in-laws who are coming for an early Thanksgiving on Sunday. Thanks for your help!

stella
11-18-2005, 10:53 AM
I have toasted pecans in butter and tabasco. It is delicious! Not terribly hot as some of the heat "cooks off" for lack of abettre description, but delicious!

JenfromWI
11-18-2005, 05:14 PM
Sounds good and easy with three ingredients! Would you mind sharing it?

stella
11-18-2005, 05:28 PM
it's not really a recipe, but I would melt some real butter in a saucepan and then sprinkle some tabasco in the saucepan and then add the pecans - coat them with the butter and tabasco, watch them closely so they don't burn - just toast them for a few minutes over medium heat and then scoop out the pecans and dry them on a paper towel so the excess liquid is absorbed. After they have cooled dried, the toastiness will be more evident.

I wish I had a better recipe, but I just play this one by ear!

zuzu
11-18-2005, 08:55 PM
Any combination, or just one type of nuts will work. Yum!

Union Square Bar Nuts

Ingredients:
1/4 pound each peeled peanuts, cashews, brazil nuts, hazelnuts, walnuts, pecans, and whole unpeeled almonds or 1 pound unsalted, assorted nuts.
2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh rosemary
½ teaspoon cayenne
2 teaspoons dark brown sugar
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 tablespoon butter, melted

Method:
Preheat oven to 350.

Spread nuts on a cookie sheet. Toast in the oven until they become light golden brown, about 10 minutes.

In a large bowl, combine the rosemary, cayenne, brown sugar, salt, and melted butter.

Thoroughly toss the warm toasted nuts with the spiced butter to coat. Serve warm or at room temperature. These can be made in advance; store in an airtight container when thoroughly cooled.

octmom
11-22-2005, 03:56 PM
Looks like I am too late for your in-laws' visit, but I just got this recipe from someone in DH's office. She gave it to me a few years ago and they were easy and yummy. I lost the recipe in a computer crash, but I just got it again. I may make some to have on hand before dinner on Thursday.

SUGARED PECANS

One egg white
One T water
One pound pecans
One cup sugar
One t cinnamon
One t salt

Mix egg white and water together, stir in pecans and mix until moistened. Mix sugar, salt, and cinnamon together and pour over the pecans. Mix all, then spread on well greased cookie sheet and bake for 45 to 50 minutes at 300 degrees. Stir every 15 minutes.

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03
expecting #2! EDD April 1, 2006, but anticipating a C/S in March

"Baby makes days shorter, nights longer, home happier, and love stronger."

JenfromWI
11-23-2005, 08:22 AM
Thank you so much for the great ideas! I really appreciate the time you took to share your recipes. I didn't get around to doing any of them, but am putting them aside for other holiday gatherings or maybe gifts.