PDA

View Full Version : What are you thankful for this year?

JFC
11-18-2005, 06:37 PM
Can you believe Thanksgiving is next week!?! I'm so excited! I love this holiday – I love giving time to sit back and think about what I am thankful for. Here is the start of my list (I’ll have to add as the thoughts come).

My “biggies�
-For my DH and DS.
-For our health.
-For our extended families – for at the end of the day we all love each other no matter how crazy we make each other. ;-)
-That no matter how tight our budget may seem at times we can pay our mortgage, heat, food, etc.
-That we can give a little to help others do the same.
-For those few true friends that know when you need a hug, pep-talk, kick-in-the-a$$, etc. and then give it.

The others
-For DS’ preschool – I love my 8 hours/week of “free� time!
-For DS for reintroducing me to the simple joys of PB&J, tickling, big hugs, playing in leaves, feeding the ducks, seeing the moon – you name it!
-For the BBB – thanks all!
-For Arrested Development – the funniest show on TV

Okay, I know that a lot of you can be very creative with your lists –bring ‘em on! I can’t wait to read them!

elliput
11-18-2005, 09:46 PM
I am thankful for-

My beautiful DD
My handsome and wonderful DH
Our families- especially since they are so far away
Our friends and neighbors
My pets- they accepted DD immediately and are very tolerant
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/30704.jpg

Other things I am thankful for-

Getting laid off in July from the crappy company
Getting hired in Sept by a great company
The ability to laugh at myself and keep things "real"

JMS
11-18-2005, 09:59 PM
Erica,
I have to ask... is that a real cat??? And I thought mine was enormous. I keep looking at your picture, and I'm still not certain. I hope it's real b/c he/she looks very friendly and great with your DD. Isn't it the best when you watch your child develop a love for animals? My DD is so excited every day when "cat" greets her in the morning and falls at her feet. DD just explodes in giggles and my heart melts for both of them.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/30705.jpg

As for the OP's question... I'm still pondering all that I am thankful for. I try to not take one day for granted. It's the little things in life that give the most pleasure.

elliput
11-18-2005, 10:37 PM
Yep, real cat! All 26 lbs of him.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/30708.jpg

He is a real sweetheart!

MarisaSF
11-18-2005, 11:26 PM
This year...

--my Friends. **Wink** You know who you are... including everybody here!
--that DH has found a job that he can't wait to start
--that two good friends are moving with us to start the same job
--for my parents in law who let us live with them
--for my parents for not totally losing it when I "picked DH's family over them" (I didn't! Mine are 3000 miles away!) :)
--that my daughter is growing up to be smart, sassy, and truly magical.
--Barney, Nonie, Monkey, and Bob for being such good friends to DD

bostonsmama
11-19-2005, 11:22 AM
Jacquelyn,

LOL....but I'm totally laughing b/c DH just leaned over and asked, "Is that a lion?"

Looks a lot like "my" cat at my mom's house (Bootsie)...but even in her older age she's pretty kid-tolerant.

Pretty kitty, though....love the coloring. Is (s)he Persian?

To OQ: Thankful for everything...to be alive, still happily married, fed/clothed/not in debt, have loveable ILs, etc...it's all good to me.

Larissa
who's gettin in the holiday mood
**Jingle bells, jingle bells, jingle all the way. Oh what fun it is to ride in a one-horse open sleigh, hey!**

"Children have never been very good at listening to their elders, but they have never failed to imita

Sarah1
11-19-2005, 01:17 PM
Jacquelyn,

I just noticed that you are expecing ANY DAY NOW!!! How are you feeling?

Your DD and DH are both so good-looking! And the cat, too :P

TraciG
11-19-2005, 01:42 PM
LOVE the cat pics !

JMS
11-19-2005, 10:04 PM
Hi Sarah,
Thanks for asking. I'm feeling as good as can be expected at this point. But I'm SOOOOO ready. I have an OB appt Tues morning and I'm somewhat hoping for a scheduled induction, which is something I had previously been set against. It sounds silly, but I would love to be home by Thanksgiving, and if I'm induced Tues, and all goes well, Thanksgiving at home is a possibility.
Thanks also for the compliment on DD and DH. DH would flip if he knew I was posting pictures of him on the internet. :) It's such an old picture but it's the only one that does justice to how big our cat is. Well, I thought he was big until I read that Erica's cat is 26 lbs!!
Thanks again realizing my due date.. maybe I'll get lucky and go into labor tonight. Take care.

Larissa, if you're reading this, Thomas, our cat, is at least part Mainecoon according to our vet. I got him in 1997 from the North Shore Animal Hospital in Long Island. He's a character and I often refer to him as my oldest child. He's great with Honor and generally has a "whatever" attitude towards life. Hopefully he won't mind being out numbered soon. :)

JFC
11-20-2005, 06:45 PM
LOVE the cat pictures!

*I'm also thankful for those who share wonderful pictures that make you grin ear-to-ear!

JFC
11-20-2005, 06:47 PM
--Barney, Nonie, Monkey, and Bob for being such good friends to DD

Marisa - who is your Nonie? Is he/she a lion? DS' two buddies (who now go EVERYWHERE with us) are two stuffed animals, Monkey (self-explanatory) and "Nonie" who is a lion.

Barney and Bob I've figured out - perhaps I'm missing some shows w/ Monkey and Nonie??

kijip
11-20-2005, 07:53 PM
My husband (almost 4 years olf marriage), my son
Not working at crazy place any longer
Our wide circle of friends
The doors that are opening for me professionally, domestically and politically
Home is finally achieving a cozy, pulled together feel with artwork, well paited walls, non-college furniture etc.
That my iron was fixed and I don't have to use a cheap replacement iron.
That my husband is confident that we will have another baby in the next year. His confidence is reassuring to me when I get discouraged.

DebbieJ
11-21-2005, 02:34 PM
just bumping

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03
BFARed for 20 months and 6 days
(Breastfeeding After Reduction is possible! www.bfar.org)

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/style_avatars/Ribbons/18months-bfar.jpg

kfk
11-21-2005, 03:58 PM
This is so funny, I actually started a similar thread this morning, but nobody responded. So, I though I'd repost here!!!

Usually, the holidays are very hard for me because I lost my dear mother 9 years ago in December (she was only 51). Then, when my dad remarried, holidays became very dysfunctional.

Anyway, our downstairs neighbor is the part-time nanny to a sweet little guy, the same age as my boys, who's developmentally delayed. When we were at the park yesterday afternoon, I saw him and his mama. I introduced myself to the mama, and greeted her little one. A bit later, she asked if it was ok for her to bring the baby over to sit with my guys who were playing with a truck. She explained that her son hasn't done much interacting with other babies. My response was an instinctive "of course." The truck really was a hit inspiring smiles and feet wiggles from her little one. What hit me was how I would never even think to ask whether it was "ok" for my little ones to play with others at the park, this mama's reality is so so different than mine.

Anyway, the interaction was a reminder of how blessed I am. I did go through a lot of pain and sorrow (years of infertility, medical problems, 2 losses), and all of our savings and more to complete our family, and we had a scary delivery and first few weeks. But, I'm living my dream. I have two healthy, happy, little boys who are my reason. I have a DH who loves our boys and me and is incredibly loyal to our family unit. It just made all the "I wants" and comparisons of material possessions and day-to-day aggravations of marriage and family life fall away. I'm going to try and hold onto that throughout this season.

pb&j
11-21-2005, 05:53 PM
For my family, IL's and parents included, even though it's not *always* easy to be thankful for them.

The new baby, who is healthy and active, and will be here soon.

My truest friends.

My job that I love, with the best boss ever.

Knowing that even though it seems like times are tight, we are prosperous and have everything we could ever need.

And most of all, I am thankful that my path and DH's crossed. I am thankful to have the best husband ever. And I am thankful that I still have a crush on him.

-Ry,
mom to Emma, stillborn 11/04/04
and Max, edd 01/15/06 - it's a HEALTHY BOY!

http://lilypie.com/days/060115/3/25/1/-5/.png[/img] ([img)

tina-t
11-22-2005, 01:04 AM
I am thankful for....

Dh and ds, my 2 boys who make me smile/laugh
the great doctors and nurses who are in the process of helping me
my wonderful friends
my mom who just passed away earlier this year
my dad
some of my co-workers who are so supportive
the wonderful in home daycare for ds

I am also thankful for being able to provide for our needs financially.

almostamom
11-22-2005, 01:36 AM
Okay, am I the only one getting a bit misty-eyed as I read these? Here are just a few of mine or I'll be bawling soon. I'm thankful for...

-my DS - the greatest gift I've ever been given.

-the opportunity to be a SAHM - a dream (lots of hard work, but truly, a dream)

-my DH for working so hard that my dream is a reality

-friends and family for so many reasons

and, finally,
-the BBB, for through these boards I have "met" one of my dearest friends. While we've never met IRL, we talk on the phone at least every week and email constantly. She's there whenever I need a friend, she makes me laugh, she listens, she understands, and one day she'll be my son's MIL (we've already got it all arranged ;) ).

~Linda~
DS 11/9/04

JFC
11-22-2005, 01:48 PM
What a great story...Thanks so much for sharing (again)! ;-)

JFC
11-22-2005, 01:54 PM
>Okay, am I the only one getting a bit misty-eyed as I read
>these?

You aren't alone. I LOVE reading what everyone else writes (and while I won't clog up the boards replying to each one - I appreciate everyone sharing them with us all.)

JFC
11-22-2005, 01:56 PM
sorry double post

MelissaTC
11-23-2005, 02:18 PM
Just found this post! I love doing this post every year.

-This little guy http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y117/MelissaTC/Professional%20Photos/0051.jpg

He has changed my life forever and I am so thankful that I am his mother, and he is my son. He is a true blessing.

-My DH. He is my rock, my friend and my biggest cheerleader.
-Our health, both physical and financial.
-Family.
-Our friends. They are truly our family.
-My two doggies that shed their hair all over my house. I love them both.
-The little girl in China that is waiting for us. My heart melts thinking about how wonderful it is going to be to have her in our lives.

The other stuff-

-J.Jill for making clothes that make me look slimmer.
-Whole Foods for making low fat chocolate chewies.
-The internet.
-Sex and the City reruns.
-Noggin and Playhouse Disney for giving me time to type out these kinds of posts!

babystuffbuff
11-23-2005, 06:12 PM
Oh, Melissa, what an angel you have. So handsome and grown up. I can see why you feel so blest. :)

Sarah