PDA

View Full Version : Jumping off the holiday pic thread- how do you get a 15 month old to sit still??

SummerBaby
11-21-2005, 02:51 PM
I love everyone's holiday pictures! I am so jealous that so many of you have them done already.

Any tips on how to get my 15 month old to stand still for a picture? Our trip to Picture People 6 weeks ago was a disaster (repeat this scenario 20 times- me putting her down in front of the camera, her running into mall at warp speed, me giving chase in heels, redepositing her back in front of camera, her giggling the entire time). All our Halloween pictures are of her running....

Val
Mom to Madeline
7/28/04

aim
11-21-2005, 03:02 PM
I think that many times the reason that so many toddler pictures have "props" in them it not to be cute but to keep a child still for the picture. SO you could consider props. EIther something novel for your child to hold or something for your child to sit on or in.

You could also consider playing peek a boo behind the photographer - or having a puppet behind the photographer (that way your child is still looking at the camera). I have known photographers who stick stickers on childrens hands to get them to sit still and than try to just get their attention to look up for a shot.

The photographer has to work fast. For me we have had better success not in a studio session and with a photograher who is more creative and willing to walk around with the child, wait for the right moment, use available light rather than studio light. In general these end up not looking like sears pictures and more like great head shots or just amazing natural pics. I think they capture kids personalities better, but it really depends what you want. I know Ben's great grandparents really want standard studio pics, but oh well.

Amy
DS Bennett 1-14-03

JBaxter
11-21-2005, 03:05 PM
Nathan does better if he is sitting on something and I have had much better luck at sears and penneys than at picture people for some reason. We usually get 1 or 2 good ones each session. My oldest 2 ds loved getting their pictures taken and would cry when we were done. Nathan is a bit more of a challenge.

Momof3Labs
11-21-2005, 03:51 PM
It doesn't get easier from here, I'm sorry to say. We gave up trying to get sitting pics of DS long ago. One popular move was giving him some trains to hold and standing him next to a stepladder. He'd run the trains on the ladder, and turned his head and smiled when cued. Alternatively, we'd let him pick his own props from the selection (he loved posing with the pile of stuffed bunnies at Easter) and that would keep him happy.

octmom
11-21-2005, 04:06 PM
Wish I had thought of this last year, but I was impressed when we got a card from a friend with her DD holding a plastic Christmas cookie cutter. I think a bell or little jingle bell ornament/ wreath might be good too-- something fun to distract the child.

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03
expecting #2! EDD April 1, 2006, but anticipating a C/S in March

"Baby makes days shorter, nights longer, home happier, and love stronger."

kboyle
11-21-2005, 04:35 PM
We just got our pics done today and in all of them you can see a few legos on the floor that DS was playing with. In one of the pics he is covering his face with his hands, but it actually turned out really cute. We got them done at Portrait Innovations and if you buy a 3 pose package or larger you get a CD that has all of the pics taken on it. I just looked at the disc on my computer and there are some great ones of him on the run or throwing a fit, those ones are definately the keepers :)

The best way the photographers assistant got DS1's attention was to play catch with him, he was having fun and standing still. As for DS2 they kept putting a stuffed kitty in his face, he looks a little scared and shocked in most of the pics, at almost 4 mo, I don't think I'd want a blk stuffed kitty in my face either :)