PDA

View Full Version : Clogged tear ducts or infection?

Melanie
11-21-2005, 04:56 PM
Dd had the usual clogged tear ducts, but then got a cold. I thought her eyes were better, it had been a few weeks with just normal small amounts of eye discharge, but last week one had lots of green gunk and was almost sealed shut in the am, then halfway through the week it was teh other eye. Is it still a clogged duct if it's green? Her eyes don't seem to be irritated or red.

Going to the Ped today anyhow, but I thought I'd ask the experts (mothers!) first.

Moneypenny
11-21-2005, 05:35 PM
DD had a clogged duct, and then did deveop on infection. Her eye goo turned yellow and crusted her eye shut. The ped gave her an antiobiotic ointment. The infection would clear up and then come right back again until we got really diligent about doing the tear duct massage with every diaper change. As soon as the plugged duct opened up, the infection stayed away for good. Her eyeball also never seemed to get red - it was just the gunk that was worrisome. I'm not big on antiobiotics but I didn't want to mess with her eyesight.
Susan
mama to my cutie pie, Avery
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif[/img][/url]
We made it to a year!

Sillygirl
11-21-2005, 08:37 PM
I had thought Jonathan's ducts had opened up, but then he got a cold and the gunk came back. I think even the tiny anount of swelling of the face was enough to shut them again. Anyway, he didn't need any treatment, and the gunk went away once the cold was better. I rarely massaged his eyes and they opened on their own - we have both had a cold this month and no gunk (from the eyes, at least) in sight!

Melanie
11-22-2005, 12:02 AM
The ped said the same thing, essentially. I hate doing it, but I think it's time for more mommy milk in the eye. She screams like it's battery acid or something.