PDA

View Full Version : Need help from smart furniture moms!

scout123
11-21-2005, 06:18 PM
I bought a Sumter cherry rice bedroom suite from a lady for 1,600. This was for a king size cherry rice bed, the long chest of drawers with the mirror, the tall chest of drawers (I think it might be called a highboy), and the nightstands. I thougth was a really good deal. She is also selling her living room suite that includes a large cream colored couch with tons of matching pillows, matching chair and ottoman, matching chair (I think it is called a Queen Anne type chair), coordinating glass top coffee table with goldish toned curly legs, matching sofa table, and matching endtables for $3000. Is that a good deal? I've never bought furniture as a set, so I have no idea.
Thanks,
Angie

Mommy_Again
11-21-2005, 07:21 PM
If the quality of furniture is something you are happy with, that is a very good deal for all that furniture. You could easily spend 3 grand on a nice sofa alone.

bostonsmama
11-21-2005, 09:08 PM
Ummm...jealous! What a great deal on that Sumter cherry bedroom set. Our bedroom set designer is on par w/ Sumter (solid wood, no veneers or particle board, hand-crafted and made-to-order) and on sale was still over $3,300 for just a queen sleigh bed, highboy & low chest of drawers w/ mirror (no nightstands). We shopped Sumter and they were slighly more expensive...so I know you got a smoking deal!

As to the living room set, even though there's lots of stuff, it seems pretty high (unless queen anne is your style and you love it and would buy it at full price). Maybe offer her $2500 and see what she says. Really, it just seems rather high for used furniture, unless it's really nice, designer stuff.

Just my 2 pesos

Larissa
who's gettin in the holiday mood
**Jingle bells, jingle bells, jingle all the way. Oh what fun it is to ride in a one-horse open sleigh, hey!**

"Children have never been very good at listening to their elders, but they have never failed to imitate them." -James Baldwin

DebbieJ
11-21-2005, 09:37 PM
I agree with Larissa. It sounds high.

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03
BFARed for 20 months and 6 days
(Breastfeeding After Reduction is possible! www.bfar.org)

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/style_avatars/Ribbons/18months-bfar.jpg

Momof3Labs
11-21-2005, 09:58 PM
The bedroom set sounds like a good deal. I think that wood furniture has better resale than upholstered. The living room suite sounds overpriced for used, upholstered furniture. Unless it is something that you absolutely adore, you can probably do better piecing together your own set. I know that we spent a lot less than that on living/great room furniture, and are quite happy with what we have.

ethansmom
11-21-2005, 09:59 PM
Umm...I'd offer even less and see what she says!

Really, I don't get grossed out about buying used wood furniture, but upholstered pieces are a different matter. They won't last forever like wood pieces (given good care), and there's the "used" factor to consider.

If you like everything in the set, I'd offer $2k tops and see what she says. If she doesn't accept, maybe she'd sell you just the wood pieces and then you could order a sofa/chairs new. Just a thought.

BTW, how old is the set?