PDA

View Full Version : Any magic tricks for getting rid of jet-lag?

papal
11-22-2005, 08:23 AM
I am ready to throw the baby out with the bath water (whatever the heck that means.. i basically am about to resort to random violence).
Leela slept from 12.0pm to 10.45pm last night. She has been up since 10.45pm.. it is now 8.22am.

If you have some magic tricks up your sleeve, please let me know.

Desperate,

aliceinwonderland
11-22-2005, 09:58 AM
Can DH take the day off,and take her out of the house for a few hrs so you can get some sleep. I hear you, sister. I don't so well without sleep. AT ALL.

hope it passes sooner than later!!

Piglet
11-22-2005, 10:25 AM
We had 2 jetlagged kids after going to Israel this year and when you add in 2 exhausted parents...OY! I agree with the PP, try to get out of the house during daytime. We would let DS sleep in in the morning, have a BIG breakfast (since it is dinner-time in your mind), go out for a bit, have a good afternoon nap that we would cut short and wake him up no later than 6 pm and go out again. He then was tired at night and slept decently. The only major challenge was the middle of the night when DS and the rest of us would have trouble sleeping. Eventually (for better or worse) the sheer exhaustion catches up to you and then you can sleep anytime you are given a pillow, LOL. Basically, treat Leela like a newborn that has her days and nights wrong. Limit daytime sleep and make the house bright (or go out). At night, keep the lights off and limit fun things.

Good luck!

luvmypeanut
11-22-2005, 11:42 AM
Get her outside in the sunshine. Take her on errands or whatever and dont' worry whether or not she wakes. Eventually she will readjust. At night when she wants to play, put her in a babyproof room and dim the lights. I used to close both ends of the kitchen and let dd loose. I knew she couldn't hurt herself or get into trouble and I would just lay down on the sofa in the room next door. We used to have a 24 hour supermarket down the street so I used to take her in the middle of the night to do the shopping. Eventually she would tire and fall asleep in the stroller and I would leave her there in our foyer. Jetlag for us would last from 3 days-1 week.

Hang in there!

hez
11-22-2005, 12:10 PM
Welcome home!

When DH travels to Germany I try to keep him up during the day as much as possible when he gets home (and that's just a 6 hour time difference). In his case that sometimes requires kicking, but I don't suggest you try that with Leela ;)

Like the PP's say, he does better when we make plans and go somewhere-- go out to dinner with friends where he has to talk. I guess the toddler equivalent is to go to a park or a children's museum? I do allow DH short naps so he's not a total bear, but I'm getting pretty good at monitoring his sleep so he gets back to normal sooner.

It usually takes him a few days to get back to his regular schedule again. I'm not looking forward to his next Germany trip-- he gets back one afternoon, and we have to be on a plane for a wedding the next morning. Blech.

Good luck!

Aarohismom
11-22-2005, 12:45 PM
Hi Rashmi,
Welcome back! No magic tricks but not sleeping during the day and going to bed little early really helped us get over jet-lag fast. I always find the first couple of days hard but then it gets better. :)

crayonblue
11-22-2005, 12:56 PM
Hi Rashmi! Glad your home! I don't have any advice. I can only imagine how tired you are.

asha
11-22-2005, 01:16 PM
Hey Rashmi,
Welcome back. Cant believe its been that long already.

I dont have much advice. It took us about a week with Akshay.
Hope you had fun in India.

janeybwild
11-22-2005, 01:21 PM
Welcome back, we missed you around here :)
Jet lag sucks, especially as you were gone for some time, the readjustment period is so much longer. The only thing that has helped us is to use exposure to daylight to help re-establish a normal pattern. So, up and out in the morning for lots of physical activity (Also helps with the wonderful whininess...is that a word?!), home for lunch and no more than a 2 hour nap, then back out side. Push bed time later by 30 mins or so every day. Within a week you should be getting back toward normal. Guzzle lots of fluids. Hang in there!

brittone2
11-22-2005, 01:29 PM
No advice, but I just wanted to say welcome home and I hope you'll all be sleeping on a normal schedule soon :)

saschalicks
11-22-2005, 02:00 PM
Oh I have no advice for jet lag, but I do know about wanting to throw kids out when sleep deprived. I actually do not look forward to my attitude when DS#2 arrives. Hugs and hope you get through this quickly.

Quick question: are you no longer a moderator? Just wondering.

TraciG
11-22-2005, 02:41 PM
Just wanted to say welcome home, I hope the jetlag doesn't last too long !!!!

barbarhow
11-22-2005, 02:45 PM
Not a one but welcome home! We missed you!
Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03, a Red Sox fan
and Anna 5/12/05, my little Yankee fan!

Thatchermom
11-22-2005, 05:24 PM
DS is a bit older than Leela, but we skipped the nap thing for a few days when we got back. Those two days were really crappy, but we felt like it cut short the day/night mixup. He was dying to get to bed when it was time! While we felt like laying low, we did keep really busy during those days, too. Up, out, and running around.

papal
11-22-2005, 06:46 PM
Thanks everyone!!! So she finally crashed out at 5.0pm. Yes she was awake for almost 20 hours straight! Crazy coot! I almost lost my sanity. Hopefully she sleeps all night! I did take her out shopping.. she was behaving really crazy and erratic.

We are back! The jet-lag and the Thanksgiving planning have been keeping me busy! Glad to be home.. hope everyone is doing well!! I can't believe 2 months flew by so fast!!! Only 9 more weeks for the new baby to arrive! Where has the time gone??!

papal
11-22-2005, 06:48 PM
No, I am not a mod.. i was for a week when i was helping delete pictures. But the little icon does not seem to go away! Very strange!

mamalou
11-22-2005, 08:22 PM
Welcome Home! Hopefully the transition back home will be an easy one, from now on.

linsei
11-22-2005, 10:24 PM
No advice, but welcome back!!!

Linda

http://b2.lilypie.com/xz6em5/.png[/img][/url]