PDA

View Full Version : Calling all travel experts!

Mermanaid
11-22-2005, 03:40 PM
Do I buy a seat for my dd?

She'll be about 14 mo when we fly from Dallas to Boston. The flight time is about 3.5 hrs and my mom will be traveling with us. So, we could easily pass her between the three of us.

DebbieJ
11-22-2005, 03:53 PM
I would absolutely buy her a seat. 3.5 hours of a squirmy toddler in a very confined space are not my idea of fun. With a seat, she'll have a safe place to sit and sleep. Let's not even talk about what would happen if there were an emergency...

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03
BFARed for 20 months and 6 days
(Breastfeeding After Reduction is possible! www.bfar.org)

http://www.bfar.org/members/fora/style_avatars/Ribbons/18months-bfar.jpg

sunny2003
11-22-2005, 03:58 PM
Hi - I guess it depends on how active she is. If she would be content to sit on your laps (and there is seat entertainment, like tvs, etc) and you are ok with that, then you may be able to get away with it. However, we found that as our dd got older and yet not 2, it was much easier to have her own seat. Most airlines give 1/2 off for under 2 except discount air lines like Jet Blue (which has tv's at every seat). We found though that 3 full price tix on Jet Blue was a lot of times better priced than 2.5 seats on another airline.

If you do opt not to buy her a seat, just make sure you tell at check-in that you have her with you - many times they can block off the seat next to one of you and give it to her. But don't count on that, esp. if you travel at a peak time.

Viv

kristenk
11-22-2005, 04:09 PM
Oops! Didn't really mean to reply to a reply. I hate it when I do that! :)

We've always bought DD a ticket when we've flown (although we haven't flown with her too many times) and been glad that we did. I think that DD would try to wriggle out of our arms so that she could walk up and down the aisle if she weren't in her carseat and would be very distressed when I wouldn't let her do that. She expects to stay in her carseat, though. Being strapped in a carseat is safer just in case of unexpected turbulence and I think it's easier, too. DH and I will trade seats every once in a while so a different person is sitting right next to her and that seems to help a little.

Momof3Labs
11-22-2005, 04:22 PM
I absolutely would; we have always bought DS a seat. I wouldn't drive in a car without putting him in a car seat (regardless of state laws, which don't dictate the laws of physics), and won't get on a plane with him without putting him in a car seat either. Everything else gets strapped down during takeoff and landing - including the coffee pot - except lap babies.

Did you know that during an emergency (which is rare, but happens), a lap baby has to be placed on the floor between your feet? Scary.

MarisaSF
11-22-2005, 09:17 PM
I'll reply because I'm apparently in the minority. I rarely buy DD a seat. I flew CA-NY with her at 14 months. The way there, DH and I took turns holding her. The way back, I was alone with her. It's hard, but not impossible. I got lucky on one leg and there was an empty seat next to us. You can ask for that. IMO, 3.5 hours is no time, especially if your mom is with you!

kijip
11-22-2005, 11:49 PM
Here's the deal as I see it. Buy her a seat if you can for your comfort, convenience etc. It really is the easiest and safest way to go. But if you can't afford it, don't sweat it. Don't go into debt for the xtra seat, don't drive instead of fly etc. While things can happen with turbulence, the fact of the matter is that your daughter is still safer statistically as a lap baby on an airplane than she is in a secure car seat driving on the highway. I am not someone who sniffles at safety either, exactly the opposite- that is why I became a CPS Tech! If you don't buy a seat, still gate check your carseat so you have it to use when you leave the airport and on the off chance there is a spare seat on the plane. That said, I still get a headache thinking of the ONE time we opted to take Toby as a lap baby! I really, really love having him in his own seat, strapped into his Wizard!

Aunt to sweet baby boy
11-23-2005, 12:28 PM
If possible I would. Avi is in the stage now where he can and will sit in his carseat for hours nicely playing but you can not hold him for more than 5 minutes max. If your dd is very active like avi i would buy her a seat. If she is rf in her carseat you will be able to talk and play and interact with her alot easier than if you are trying to get comfortable with her on your lap. I would not fly without a seat for avi. If buying another seat would be a very large financial problem then i would not do it, but if you have the money available there is no question in my mind what you should do!

Ilana