PDA

View Full Version : Keeping baby healthy--BTDT advice?

sidmand
11-23-2005, 07:53 AM
Both times DS has been around a good number of people (more than 10-20), he's gotten sick (pink eye/cold). So I'm thinking he doesn't have the greatest immune system.

For Thanksgiving we're having FORTY people over. I'm very worried about him getting sick again! Is there anything I can do in advance of after to help him? Since I'm hosting, holding him the whole time isn't an option (probably wouldn't be anyway, since many people are going to want to hold and play with him). He's getting a little breastmilk, but not a lot. Should *I* just load up on Vitamin C and anything that transfers is great?

I was planning to give him a bath right before I put him to bed (people will still be here at his bedtime, but hopefully he'll go to sleep?) to try and clean off some germs...

Anything else? Everytime he starts to sleep a bit longer something happens, but right now he's teething too, so a cold on top of teething would not be fun for anyone!

TIA!

Debbie

Mom to Sawyer!
http://lilypie.com/baby1/060607/0/3/1/-5/.png (http://lilypie.com)

Momof3Labs
11-23-2005, 08:22 AM
It's tough with a little one. Exclusive breastmilk is the best protector out there (but still not a guarantee), but it sounds like you are past that point. I don't think you loading up on vitamin C will make a big difference for him. The best protection against cold and such is lots of hands-washing, so can you set up someone as "gate-keeper" who has the bottle of Purell ready for anyone who wants to touch him? And who can keep his hands pretty clean, too? That's probably farther than I would go, but if you want to try to keep him healthy, it would probably help. A bath before bedtime probably won't do much - especially if he's like most babies and has already put his hands in his mouth after coming in contact with a bug.

sidmand
11-23-2005, 10:19 AM
You can tell where my head is--I didn't even think of making sure everyone washed their hands. Maybe I can put my sister on Purell duty. That would help a lot. And your'e right, he constantly has his hands in his mouth so he's going to get any germs pretty darn quickly. (I didn't think a bath would help so much, but I know my SIL suggested it last time we were in a big group, so I figured it couldn't hurt--at least it will get all the perfume and lipstick off him!)

Thanks for the suggestions.

Debbie

Mom to Sawyer!

SeekerMage
11-23-2005, 10:41 AM
If he is teething anyhow, i would just go ahead and give him a dose of tylenol before bed after his bath. It will help not only help him sleep, but should help ward off any sickies. My mom always did this when we were outside in the rain or cold for a long time and we never got sick.

daisyandacorn
11-23-2005, 11:10 AM
I'm pretty big on asking everyone to wash their hands when they come into the house.
A sling could help keep him close to you, and limit the number of people who ask to hold him.
Wishing you a germ free holiday! :)
Susan

hez
11-23-2005, 11:47 AM
I set the big old bottle of Purell out on the counter in the kitchen-- you could see it right when you walked in the front door. Not a plus on the decor side, but oh, well. There was no touching Payton without washing hands and/or using the Purell :)

masha12
11-23-2005, 03:57 PM
I do not think it would be worth imposing a hand-washing rule. First, germs can be passed in ways other than direct human-to-human contact (through the air, via objects), and so I think the hand-washing rule would only create a false sense of security.

I personally would not risk offending my guests or risk becoming the mom everyone in the family mocks just to protect my child from the germs he could pick up from someone holding him when there are dozens of other people around breathing their germs into the air my child breathes.

I know, I know, handwashing has been shown to prevent illness. But, if you think about all the germs your child is exposed to at a family gathering, the amount of germs he would pick up from a healthy person holding him without first washing her hands really do not add up to much.

thomma
11-23-2005, 04:29 PM
My suggestion, in addition to handwashing, would be to limit the amount of people that hold your ds...try to discourage the "pass around the baby" game that relatives/friends like to play at gatherings.

Kim
t&e 5/03

Globetrotter
11-23-2005, 04:57 PM
I have to disagree with this. Handwashing is the #1 thing you can do, and often people may be seemingly healthy but carry infectious germs. It also sends the message that it's not a free-for-all. Then again, I often do things that are against the norm, but I don't worry about what others think ;) You could say that the baby is just recovering from XYZ and the doctor has advised that you be extra cautious during cold and flu season. If someone has an active infection, they should definitely being close to the baby. It's really hard to do these things during a large gathering!

ETA: Breastfeeding is good for this, too. Last November we were on vacation, and three of us got a stomach virus. I was nursing my toddler, and he was the only one who didn't get sick! It's amazing, considering we were all stuck in a small hotel room for two days. Guess he got a good dose of my antibodies!

Kris

Piglet
11-23-2005, 05:50 PM
I find that the biggest culprit is kids, not adults. I have never imposed a hand-washing rule for visiting adults because I would hope that my guests would know that they should not hang out with my kids if they are sick. I even have people calling me to ask if it is okay to come if they are sick. I would try to limit the number of kids in attendance or the amount of time kids spend with the baby. I would also get kids to wash their hands, if possible. Finally, I would try to keep DS at a higher level so the kids aren't sneezing on him, etc.

I don't think you taking Vitamin C will help, but it might keep you healthier, which is also important since it is so hard to take care of a kid when you are sick. I also don't think there is any benefit to bathing at that point for the same reasons that pp mentioned.

Finally, I am comforted by knowing that colds early on are easier on the kids than colds later on, I think. Both my DS's got sick last week and the baby was better in 3 days, whereas the older one is still coughing over a week later. Everything was harder on my 4 year old :(

pritchettzoo
11-23-2005, 06:10 PM
Can you get your sister to sling him while you'll be busy? That will keep people from getting right up in his face.

FORTY people? Oh my. Good luck!

Anna
Mama to Gracie (Sept '03) and Eli (July '05)

Globetrotter
11-23-2005, 06:56 PM
I had this thought, too, but figured (as the hostess) you couldn't do it. If your sister could do it, however... that would be nice!!

Kris

Globetrotter
11-23-2005, 06:57 PM
True, kids are the worst. I think it depends on your group. Some adults don't get it, either!

Kris

sidmand
11-23-2005, 07:40 PM
Thank you for all the suggestions.

I know I'm trying to balance the fact that I know everyone wants to see and play with him with being protective of him and not wanting him to get sick or overwhelmed and I honestly don't know where the boundary is. That's probably some of the problem.

I do like the handwashing too. I realize that people shouldn't knowingly hold/kiss him if they're sick, but I also thought no one who had pink eye would knowingly hold/kiss him and he still managed to get that! Many people may not even realize they're sick until it's too late. I'm not a huge germophobe--it would be pretty impossible with my level of housekeeping--so I would think he would be exposed to many things already.

I don't think it's going to be possible for anyone to sling him, but I might try for a little bit.

I'm also probably trying to find something else to stress about so I don't worry about all the people coming! They should fit in the house okay, but I have no idea where everyone is going to park. We live on a pretty major road and they can't park on the street. Aaccck, 17 hours to go!

Debbie

Mom to Sawyer!

lizamann
11-24-2005, 02:18 AM
Good luck Debbie! I was laughing at your stess about parking because I'm stressed about that, too. Parking is horrendous around here - I just hope my guests find something!

And I hope Sawyer stays healthy!

HannaAddict
11-24-2005, 04:16 AM
Actually, handwashing is a huge part of stopping the spread of the common cold and other viruses. Your ped or any layman's medical text notes how effective handwashing is and how many more germs are transfered that way than in the air. It is such an easy way to prevent needless illness from a baby. This baby is only five months old, is not relying 100% on mom's immunities and it is cold season. And there is going to be a big crowd in a small space. (Wow, I could not have pulled off a party like that at five months post-partum!) Plus, as gross as it is, there are a lot of people who don't wash their hands after using the restroom or picking up after their dog. Ick, I know. And it isn't just that the guests are healthy themselves, but they pick up germs from where they've been whether the ferry to get there, the Starbucks counter someone with the flu coughed on before them, etc. and can spread those germs around even if they aren't sick themselves.

We were militant with the Purell, even with FIL eye rolling, etc. Husband was on Purell duty and it isn't always fun. I could care less who mocks me if it helps keep my son healthy. And it did. At our one year visit, our ped noted that my son had only two colds versus the average eight colds, and he didn't live in a bubble. He was held, etc. but BF and we were (and still are) really good about washing our hands more and making guests who want to interact with him wash their hands. And I don't have a germ issue. Pre-baby we didn't really think about it and we aren't neat freaks either. But my baby's health comes first and it shouldn't be offensive to ask someone to wash their hands before manhandling an infant. Especially if you blame your ped and tell the truth, that the baby does not have a mature immune system yet and needs a little help from the adults by slapping on some Purell for a few seconds.

Kimberly