PDA

View Full Version : OT-Turkey Briners...need your help!

bostonsmama
11-23-2005, 06:40 PM
So, we didn't do a Butterball this year b/c my stepdad got a fresh one given to him as a corporate gift. They delivered it today...it's beautiful and huge, but I wanted to try brining this year and wasn't sure if I should since it says on the label "Premium Basted." What the heck does that mean? Should I go ahead and brine it anyways?

Thanks to anyone who can help me at the last minute!

Oh, and btw...Santa came early and got me that new oven I'd been pining for...I'm in heaven...and can't wait to start baking some pies.

Larissa
who's gettin in the holiday mood
**Jingle bells, jingle bells, jingle all the way. Oh what fun it is to ride in a one-horse open sleigh, hey!**

"Children have never been very good at listening to their elders, but they have never failed to imitate them." -James Baldwin

Thatchermom
11-23-2005, 06:58 PM
Check for the ingredients list to see if you can tell if it has had additives. It is usually not recommended to brine if it has been previously treated/salted. Too much salt can not only be to salty tasting, it can affect the texture of the meat and make it unpalatable. If you can't find it on the turkey label, you could always google the turkey company and see if you can find info. Brining is the way to go with a regular turkey (or chicken), and if you're into crispy skin, get it out of the brine in time to sit and dry out in the fridge on a rack over a rimmed cookie sheet. The drying time helps it to crisp up.

bostonsmama
11-23-2005, 07:55 PM
Thanks for the excellent tip re: crispy skin. I think we'll try that this year. Yes, i checked and it has lightly salted turkey broth injected in it...so i guess I'm skipping the brining. Thanks!

Larissa
who's gettin in the holiday mood
**Jingle bells, jingle bells, jingle all the way. Oh what fun it is to ride in a one-horse open sleigh, hey!**

"Children have never been very good at listening to their elders, but they have never failed to imitate them." -James Baldwin