PDA

View Full Version : OT: How to disinfect used skates

Piglet
11-25-2005, 03:25 PM
This is a weird question, but I can't find the answer online. I bought some second hand skates for myself and the store said that they do not disinfect the skates. I asked if I could spray Lysol in them and they said that they thought it would be bad to have Lysol against your feet once it got into the skates. I am not sure what is worse - Perma-Lysol or potential foot fungus!? Does anyone have any experience or suggestions on how to do this?

Thanks!

Katia
11-25-2005, 03:36 PM
Honestly, I don't think I'd worry about it. I'd feel differently about something that you were going to wear barefoot, I suppose, but I'm pretty sure that you and any previous owners of the ice skates will wear thick socks! :-)

Katia
DS 2003

Piglet
11-25-2005, 03:41 PM
Actually, they are hockey skates and often they are worn barefoot (gross, I know). I plan on wearing socks though. They are men's (junior) hockey skates and they are pretty high-end but VERY used, so I am worried they were worn barefoot or with a really skimpy sock, which is very common.

m448
11-25-2005, 04:12 PM
I'd do the Lysol trick as it evaporates. Just douse them really well on the inside (I prefer the white linen scent, less smelly) and let them dry for about 24 hours in a well ventilated area. Smell should be gone and you should hardly smell the lysol.

I used to do this to my visiting cousin's shoes when he'd leave the stenchy things laying around the house. Worked wonders.

Katia
11-25-2005, 04:29 PM
OK, in that case, I'd definitely try some Lysol! Eeewww...barefoot while wearing hockey skates?! I had no idea that was common. That sounds horribly uncomfortable to say the least!

Katia
DS 2003

Piglet
11-25-2005, 04:47 PM
Thanks ladies,

I sprayed them with Simple Green first and will let that dry. I might do the Lysol once it is dry.

Eewww is right! Hockey skates are supposed to fit much tighter than regular shoes, so to make them even tighter, some players buy a size smaller and go barefoot. I just skate VERY recreationally but I can't wear figure skates because they give me shin splint. I have to buy hockey skates, but am pretty grossed out about it. Sadly, I tried buying cheap new skates and they were horribly uncomfortable. I bought these used skates and found out they were originally about $200! I would never spend that much, so I had to buy gross used ones for $25.

Any other suggestions?

Marisa6826
11-25-2005, 06:28 PM
I wonder if you called a bowling alley they would tell you what they use. Maybe also getting the spray version of Lotromin and giving them a good dousing?

The only other thing that comes to mind is possibly using Clorox wipes.

-m

dr mom
11-25-2005, 09:05 PM
Sunlight will kill fungus naturally - don't know how much of the inside of the skate you can expose to daylight, but maybe if you removed the laces you can open them up enough to get a little light in there.